How Much Poop & Pee Does The Vet Need?

Guest JudiK

Guest JudiK

I'm waiting for a decent hour to call the vet. My new foster is a sick boy. When I picked him up on Tuesday eve, the driver who brought him said that he has bloody diarrhea. He was on a tractor trailer for two days and the updates from the truck driver were that he was highly stressed for the entire ride and would not eat. He was very frightened of getting on and off of the cab - he had a badly broken leg three months ago and the kennel has been nursing him back to health but his leg is far from normal.

He has only had a few mouthfuls of food since he arrived, but he has been drinking. He is very sweet and has been out of his crate about 90% of the time - about a quarter of that he was roached in a dog bed. But he dribbles terrible smelling pee, I have to keep a belly band on him; and whenever he goes out he squats. I chased him around the yard this morning to get samples for Doc. The "poop" is a clear liquid - I got his entire deposit and it was probably a little over a teaspoonful. The pee is very dark and smelly - he pees frequently so there isn't much, again only about a teaspoonful. Is that enough?

I suppose I can take him out a few more times and chase him down for more deposits before I take the samples to Doc. He's not too pleased with me gathering up his deposits - I'm sure my neighbors are enjoying watching a three-legged greyhound trotting through the yard (he doesn't use the broken one when he wants to get somewhere fast), followed by an overweight middle-aged lady in her PJs...

That's probably enough--but clearly there is a problem with the dog. If the vet needs more urine they can get it themselves! It's a lot easier with one tech walking and the other catching--or they can just go straight into the bladder for it.

Poor boy! I hope whatever it is clears up quickly.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Don't stress over it. Vet can get their own samples if need be. If you do get a sample, take what you have and be sure to tell them "this is all he went and he's doing this repeatedly" -- that's useful data.

Hope poor bugger is better soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest JudiK

I talked to the vet - she has time to run the samples sometime today, but no time to see him. Vet is 45 minutes away - one way. The samples will have to do the talking... I just hope this is enough.

Guest PiagetsMom

When I took a urine sample to the vet for Piaget I was told that they needed only a very minimal amount to test, and if it wasn't a very recent sample, it was better for it to be refrigerated immediately after collection.

Hope you can get this boy fixed up quickly!

Edited by PiagetsMom

Guest Hannah

fingers crossed for the samples.

and a little story to make you laugh.

I have 3 cats and one dog, due to a mystery case of runny poop in one of the cats, after many tests we were no closer to answer.

The vet chatted to the laboratory who said it could be some bug or other that is hard to spot but shed its casing on a 7 day cycle and they could look for that. as we suspected it could be all four animals infected we had to collect and freeze all the poop they produced for a week and then deliver it for testing. that was a *LOT* of poop :lol

it wasnt much fun at the time but we laugh a lot about it now :lol

it was madam fluffy and she was hyperthyroid - it was an obscure symptom :rolleyes: