Excessive Drinking After Spay

Guest StriderDog

Guest StriderDog

Foster pup Suzy had her spay and dental yesterday and seems to be more worse for wear than the other post-spay pups I've had. She threw up water and foamy bile twice last night, and did a lot of pretending to be dead. I called the e-vet who assured me that barfing wasn't all that unusual, but to only give her a couple sips of water that night to avoid the barf-heaves that might aggravate the spay site (which looks like a 6 year old did it - the incision is crooked and her staples are uneven! (Not my vet hospital) ).

Today she is keeping the water down better - only one minor puke - but she's drinking SO MUCH! She's downed two bowls of water today and would probably have more if I didn't keep telling telling her to knock it off and take it easy, since she tries to drink it all at one time. I don't want her to be dehydrated, but she's drinking like there'll never be water again, ever.

She's got no interest in food yet and is pottying regularly - but she's laying here on the floor and I can see her little belly is just FULL of water. Should I be concerned?

ETA: She's only 55lbs - to give you an idea of how much two bowls of water is!

Edited by StriderDog

Guest LynnM

She's had very little do drink and nothing to eat for 2 days, so she's going to be thirsty. Take her temperature. If she's running any sort of fever, it's probably a good idea to get her to the vet for some fluids. If no temperature, get some super-stinky canned food (IAM's puppy is a favorite in my house) and feed it, adding a little water to make it really goopy.

Lynn

Guest VelvetEars

Poor baby! She must wonder what truck hit her, and if looks as bad as she does. :( Which vet did the spay?

I second taking her temp and keeping an eye on her.

Instead of a bowl of water, I'd put a few ice cubes in her bowl. Should slow her down some. The wet food will also help some.

Guest StriderDog

No temperature. :dunno

The Clarkson-Wilson vet in Chesterfield did her spay. It's certainly not the nicest looking job I've ever seen done - although there's no indication of infection, swelling or bruising. They also didn't send anything along with her for pain management. I called them when I realized it and they said that it's standard not to. :blink: Poor baby is very confused and hurting.

...and still drinking. This dog would drink Lake Superior in 45 minutes.

Guest VelvetEars

Seriously? They don't give them anything for post-op pain? This dog just had a hysterectomy, for all intents and purposes. *I* would expect pain meds if it were my innards that had just been removed. Grrrrr..... Have you called Leann?

Poor pup. She is probably very uncomfortable and nervous. Many nervous dogs will drink to excess. Also, if she's painful, the may be trying to alleviate the pain (some dogs with upset stomachs will drink a lot, too).

Hope you can get her comfortable.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

When Roo was spayed (at around 10 months) I remember she was groggy and not very active afterward. I don't remember thirst like Suzy has. They also sent her home with pain meds for a few days. Hope Suzy feels better soon!

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

If she's still at it today, I'd try to meter it out so she isn't drinking a whole glob at once, and maybe give a pepcid to see if that helps.

No pain meds after a spay is medieval, not to mention mean. I'd talk to your group about that -- assuming it's the group's vet? And perhaps give your own vet a call to see if they will prescribe some for her.

Joseph got pain meds after his neuter, even, with strict instructions from the vet to give them all as prescribed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest StriderDog

I called this morning and insisted on pain meds - I could hardly sleep last night thinking about the pain she must be in. I'm about to go pick them up.

Guest LynnM

Just an FYI about pain meds.... I don't know of anyone that does a spay without at least a shot of Banamine at the time of surgery, so ALWAYS check with the vet/vet staff before dosing with pain meds you happen to have at the house. I realize this isn't the case for this dog , but it's easy to accidentally double the dog up.