Toe Amputation-need Prayers

Guest DebSzal

Guest DebSzal

Gracie ripped her toe at the dog park today. The e-vet said she tore it down to the joint. I have no idea how it happened. One minute she was running for the ball and the next she was coming back on three legs dripping blood. Her creatinine level was up on two blood tests they ran, so she needed extra fluids before they would do the surgery. I'll deal with that issue latter. I'm waiting for the call that she came through the surgery OK. I know it is an easy one, but I'm still anxious and feeling a little guilty since I threw the ball. I know it's crazy! I just need a little support and good words right now. Thanks. :unsure

Prayers, good thoughts, and quick recovery. Howie is missing a toe and it's never slowed him down. Hopefully, Gracie will not miss hers too much either. Get well soon.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest greytkidsmom

Good luck to Gracie - she is sure to be fine. Accidents happen - she would probably rather chase that ball with you a million times than keep that silly 'ol toe. Hugs to you both.

She'll do fine without the toe.

BTW, creatinine levels run high in greyhounds anyway, so there's a good chance there's nothing to worry about on that front, particularly if the BUN/creatinine ratio and urine are OK. :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest DebSzal

Thanks for the support! We got a call at 2AM from the vet saying everything went fine and she was resting comfortably. She came home this morning, a little sleepy but seems OK. They were able to save the pad, so she will just be missing the toe and first joint. I keep remembering the saying "Dog were born with three legs and an extra." And I think about those dogs that had to have a leg amputated due to cancer, and I consider myself fortunate. It is still hard to see my baby hurt. I'm not looking forward to seeing the injury after the bandage is off, but I'll be strong (I can be such a wus sometimes). Again, thanks for your thoughts and prayers. Gracie will have a recheck on the creatinine on Wednesday-but I'm not too worried about this (yet).

My Tess is missing 2 toes and it hasn't slowed her down abit. I did put a sock over the bandage to keep her from taking the bandage off and that seemed to work. If I remember correctly it was about 2 or 3 weeks and everything was healed and she is fine. Of course she is a drama queen and milked it for all it was worth. Yeah it worked. She got all the sympath she could handle. Good Luck. All will be fine.

Ruth

Guest JudiK

Ashley lost a toe a month ago. She is playing again and merely has a scab at the end of the stump. PM me if you need to know what is normal or what to expect. She is sleeping on the sofa right now.

We just lost a toe at our house too. The Dude broke it doing zoomies in the yard with his brother and sister. He's a drama queen ;) and hobbled around looking pathetic and hopping on three legs.

Dude had a splint and large bandage for 2 weeks after surgery. Make sure you keep it really dry and go back to your vet right away if it starts smelling funny or seems to have slipped at all. I didn't follow my mommy-instincts and Dude got an infection which meant another 3 1/2 weeks of weekly bandage changes and antibiotics and pain meds. He's fine now, and the surgery site looks fine. Our biggest problem is that he too weeny to use his foot much! Though he is beggining to get back to normal FINALLY!

Good thoughts are being sent your way!

greysmom :D

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly