Torn Dew Claw

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

My wife and I were training our little Bart on recall with a whistle today. He was sprinting across the yard (70 feet wide) for about 10 minutes or so. When we were taking him in, I went to wipe his feet down and saw blood. I checked a little bit closer and saw his remaining dew claw hanging precariously. My wife and I put Bart on a table, put him on his side. I pulled the claw off (didnt take much), covered the wound with antibiotic cream, wrapped with gause and taped it up. Is this something that I should see a vet about? He was licking the tape for a few minutes, but I have since given him a bone to chew on to keep him occupied while the pain goes away. I am not sure if it hurts, he didnt yelp at all.

Guest BlackandBrindle

They tend to be pretty stoic about pain.

When Spud had weirdness going on with his dew claw the vet told me to give him benadryl, soak in epsom salt solution a few times a day and apply an anti-itch cream.

If he seems to be in pain, you can also give a buffered aspirin.

I'd just watch for infection and if it seems to really be bothering him, take him into the vet. Dew claw injuries can take a long time to heal.

I agree - watch for infection, keep it covered for a while (with antibiotic ointment), and leash-walk to prevent running.

You can also get EMT Gel or spray to help facilitate healing. This stuff is amazing! It's available at any farm supply store, and often at pets supply stores, too.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

We've had a couple of dew claw injuries and only the first time we went to the vet's. He just clipped the excess off and said it would heal on it's own. He suggested we could do epsom salt soaks, which we did, although I'm not sure if that was more for the dog's benefit or for us. ;) We had initially wrapped it until we went to see him but he said to leave it unwrapped, unless the dog is really bothering it, because having access to air will help it heal faster.

You'll want to keep an eye on it for signs of infection, like with any wound, but chances are it will be fine. Hope Bart feels better soon!

Guest KennelMom

It'll be fine. Just watch for infection and keep it clean and dry. No need to see a vet. We've had a few lose dew claws running in the yard.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Thanks everyone. Bart seems to be licking, so I think it may be a good idea to keep it wrapped up, at least for a day. Is there any way to tell if the wrap is too tight? Bart was laying down for a few hours, he whinned a bit, and then when he got up, he was favoring the leg for a few minutes.

If it's too tight, you'll get some swelling below the bandage -- toes, for example. You can compare them to the toes on the other foot.

If he really pesters the bandage, once it's quit bleeding some, you could take a knee sock, cut out the toe, insert dog's leg, and just vetwrap around the top (above the dewclaw -- not too far above or it'll fall down) and around the ankle. That'll keep it clean and mostly keep him from worrying it without it feeling like a bandage.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.