The Road To Kodiak - Underway As Before

Jeff

I'm so sorry you are both having such a bad time.

Good luck, and I sincerely hope life gets better in Kodiak soon.

Edited by 2whitegreys

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got underway today for a 'shakedown' to test things before we really take off.

I live in Erie PA, and we have a very nice Coast Guard station here at the end of our Presque Isle State Park. Great city to live in--not too big, not too small. And once you go through an Alaskan winter, the lake effect snows will seem like nothing! :) Something to think about next time around :)

There are only 55 jobs for me in the Coast Guard, a small boat station in PA is not one of them.

55 Warrant Officer jobs are better than the 42 that were available as a Senior Chief.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

got underway today for a 'shakedown' to test things before we really take off.

I live in Erie PA, and we have a very nice Coast Guard station here at the end of our Presque Isle State Park. Great city to live in--not too big, not too small. And once you go through an Alaskan winter, the lake effect snows will seem like nothing! :) Something to think about next time around :)

There are only 55 jobs for me in the Coast Guard, a small boat station in PA is not one of them.

55 Warrant Officer jobs are better than the 42 that were available as a Senior Chief.

Take your security clearance and "jump ship" as soon as you can. I imagine DC area traffic would seem almost wonderful after Kodiak.

You'll still be a 'youngen' when you retire right?

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Jeff, when I was paying for stuff at Kinkos last night a coast guard officer was there at the counter shipping a package. I wanted to say please go rescue Jeff and Trudy from Kodiak!

Mom to Daisy (1999-2012), LB (aka Little Bit), and Sammy James (aka Sammy or Buddy)

Jeff and Trudy,

If there is any way to ship stuff to you which costs less than the stuff does we'd be glad to go shopping for you and ship it. Just let me know.

Have a nice boat ride Jeff. Will you have e-mail or internet access at sea?

Paul & Sonja

Paul with Bill & Elmo & angel Happy

in the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY

Will you have e-mail or internet access at sea?

If today's shakedown cruise was any indication, then no :lol

But yes, 100+ computers should be sharing a whopping 64k net/email connection.

Like my last ship, email delays from 12 - 48 hours days are not uncommon.

I'll probably create a hidden private forum where Trudy and I can communicate :lol

Guest greybookends

Jeff I know you and Trudy have discussed NC as a place to retire to, have you considered Oak Island as a next post. I can't remember how our lighthouse ranks but I believe it is the brightest on the East coast and last I heard the 3rd brightest in the world, but that could just be the braggings of the locals so I could be wrong.

I also believe they have a whole new computer center as theirs burnt completely to the ground a few years back! I don't know how busy they are, but we have lots of fisherman and tourists, drug trafficking and Sunny Point Ocean Terminal as well as a new container port being built that is supposed to handle 1,000,000 containers a year when it is completed. The area is growing by leaps and bounds.

I almost forgot about the Diligence, she's stationed in Wilmington.

Edited by greybookends

I've been watching Deadliest Catch (about fishermen in the Bering Sea) and there was an episode where the Coast Guard had to med evac one of the captains who was ill. Who knows, Jeff, we may see you on the tube!!!

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

I've been watching Deadliest Catch (about fishermen in the Bering Sea) and there was an episode where the Coast Guard had to med evac one of the captains who was ill. Who knows, Jeff, we may see you on the tube!!!

I hope he would be waving more than 1 finger. :lol:lol

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

Jeff will be on a slow crappy boat. Unless somebody/boat having issues is right near them, his boat won't likely be the one responding, but the helos from the stations along the Alaska coast.

And who needs a clock when you have the Wednesday 2pm Tsunami alarm test :lol

Guest Sniffy

Jeff, the place where you need to transfer to next is the CG station off the North End of Boston. With all the Italian restaurants in the area, you'll never even think of Pizza Hut again.

I know you want warm weather...but at least it's warm here a couple months per year. It was in the high 80s today. Less snow than upstate NY too.

edited because I orginally said "Retire" instead of 'transfer' duhhh

Edited by Sniffy

He spent over 3 years there before he transferred to NY and never ate out in Boston.

And I got more snow there than we did where we were in NY. We weren't actually IN the snowbelt of NY - just below it.

Not to split hairs but it was just a crew member from one of the processing ships that got air lifted at sea this season, it wasn't one of the captains. Captain Phil who was sick got himself to St. Paul island to see the doctor and then was taken to Anchorage hospital. I don't recall them showing how Phil got to Anchorage and I don't think it was by way of CG since he was standing outside smoking before he went into the hospital.

Not to split hairs but it was just a crew member from one of the processing ships that got air lifted at sea this season, it wasn't one of the captains. Captain Phil who was sick got himself to St. Paul island to see the doctor and then was taken to Anchorage hospital. I don't recall them showing how Phil got to Anchorage and I don't think it was by way of CG since he was standing outside smoking before he went into the hospital.

Yup. I heard them talk Phil being transported to Anchorage, but no mention of how he got there.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest tricolorhounds

Is there ever a chance you'll wind up in the San Diego area ? We talk to the Coast Guard all the time... there is a small boat harbor in Oceanside and tons of stoopid boaters need rescuing all the time :lol:lol:lol

There is a show called After the Catch and they discussed the possibility of the Coast Guard picking him up. I guess I assumed they did. My bad.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

We want pictures next time!! ;):lol

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

The ship I am on 'Munro' has been featured on Deadliest Catch already ;)

We want pictures next time!! ;):lol

IIRC it was just searching for survivors from a boat that sunk.

DSC01796.jpg

Guest greytexplorer
The ship I am on 'Munro' has been featured on Deadliest Catch already ;)

They caught the Munro!? :blink::lol

Jeff will be on a slow crappy boat.

Maybe the Munro should be renamed the Manatee? or the SeaCow? :lol

the class of ship is actually one of the fastest the CG has in commission, they are just very very old. Late 60's and early 70's. Munro was commissioned in 71, well beyond her designed service life, and it really shows.

I'm not sure I should be asking this, but there are worse places you could've been posted, aren't there?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.