The Road To Kodiak - Underway As Before

Jeff

I put a 6# pork shoulder in the smoker

image014.jpg

I cut the big skin patch off and cut it in 2. Ryan swallowed it while, Jet chewed it for about 15 minutes.

Hopefully dinner will be good tonight.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's probably a $75 piece of meat there!

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

$6 piece of meat :lol

Question: What meats are best for smoking?

Answer: Smoking is a low and slow process of cooking that uses smoke to add flavor and to tenderize meats. Smoking usually lasts for more than an hour a pound in most instances. Many good cuts of meat would dry out and become inedible after being cooked for this long. However many really bad cuts of meat, full of fat and connective tissues (Collagen) come out tender, flavorful and down right delicious. Barbecue is based on cheap, bad cuts of meat. The meats of barbecue are generally beef brisket, pork shoulder and ribs.

These meats are tough, chewy and generally so poor in quality that they are undesirable for cooking. Barbecue takes advantage of the high fat and connective tissues in these meats to make them great. During the long, slow cooking times of smoking the fat melts and the connective tissue breaks down. This sweetens the meat and keeps it moist during smoking. Good cuts of meat like pork tenderloin, a steak, or a good lean roast don’t benefit from this type of cooking and should be cooked differently.

should need around 10 hours.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

Jeff, you need to take a look at this long-lived thread on Egullet!

Behold my butt!

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Jeff, you need to take a look at this long-lived thread on Egullet!

Behold my butt!

OMG. Pam, you just made my week. I think that is THE funniest thread I have ever seen, anywhere.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I hadn't actually looked at that thread for a long time... looking at it made me sad because FiFi died a few months ago. I've often wondered who was bequeathed her stainless mushroom garlic smasher! They don't make 'em anymore and lots of people coveted it.

But, there is some FINE butt on that thread! I really posted it so Jeff could see that serious butt smokers seek out the skin-on butts! And, he took the skin off his. For shame!

Pam

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Guest embarkguru

I get giddy when my DH starts messing with the smoker. I break out sausages and chicken breasts, chubs of ham that I keep around. I have even threw him for a loop to ask to smoke a pound of salt for me.....man, THAT was good!!

OK....you've convinced me that you are in the wrong line of work......good at cooking....not so good a plum job promotions/transfers!

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

Guest IrskasMom

Omg ...... that really looks good . We , in my Store where I worked as a Meatwrapper had a hard time to sell Pork-

Shoulder . People are so Fett Conscious or just don't know , how to fix it ..... I think it is the later . Are Things getting

any better or you are becoming a " Kodiakian "??? :unsure:unsure:unsure:unsure:unsure

Edited by IrskasMom

Kodiakian? No, Jeff's finally having a Kodak, I mean Kodiak, moment. :P

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Jeff, did you guys hear or feel the explosion of the volcano Okmok Caldera today?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Kevin was just watching The Simpson Movie and he wants to know if they handed y'all a grand when you crossed the border?

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

He's so funny. <_<

I'll kick his butt later for you Jeff. :lol :lol

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Okay... since we know you can get pork butt, and we know you like Mexican food, you need to try this:

Salsa Verde Carnitas

This recipe seriously ROCKS! I did a BIG batch last weekend and put 2/3 of it in the freezer for quick/easy weeknight dinners.

I'll be happy to ship a few bottles of good Salsa Verde, or the tomatillos, etc. to make your own!

Pam

I'll kick his butt later for you Jeff. :lol :lol

Please hurry, why put off until later, what you can do now :kickbutt

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest FrostyBottoms
Okay... since we know you can get pork butt, and we know you like Mexican food, you need to try this:

Salsa Verde Carnitas

This recipe seriously ROCKS! I did a BIG batch last weekend and put 2/3 of it in the freezer for quick/easy weeknight dinners.

I'll be happy to ship a few bottles of good Salsa Verde, or the tomatillos, etc. to make your own!

Oh does that look delicious!!! I think I'm gonna go buy a smoker.

Oh does that look delicious!!! I think I'm gonna go buy a smoker.

If you'll wade through the butt thread posted earlier by Pam (I think in aboutthe last 1/4) you can find out how to use the Alton Brown smoker made with two big ceramic pots and a hotplate. That's pretty cheap and it has quite a few testimonials. :dunno if it really works.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest IrskasMom

Trudy .... that is Sweatshirt Weather all Summer long. I am sure J & R love it when its not raining .