The Road To Kodiak - Underway As Before

Jeff

I've had to provide less information to buy a house! And that cost me a little bit more a month (not much).

I actually want to call back and cancel just because it was such a PITA and have the cable guy bring out a modem with him on Saturday.

The kicker - should we call you with any issues before hand on the home phone?

Ummm, you guys are setting that up all together... how you going to call that number and expect me to answer when you haven't installed it yet??

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

145 a MONTH?!? Holy Cow!

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle

Heh... and you guys thought prices in NY were high!

Guest FrostyBottoms
Could you hang drapes instead of getting a closet door? Of course by the time you buy drapes and a curtain rod, it will probably cost more than a closet door :lol

that is pretty trailer trashy and not something I would do :lol

Some call it shabby sheik :lol

Guest greytexplorer

Why is the Coast Guard's presence in Kodiak required?

Can't the same thing be accomplished out of Anchorage?

Just wondering..... :unsure

you and me both...

my guess, cheap plentiful land

large.greyhound_signature.gif

you and me both...

Could it just be to have a good amount of alternative destinations?

On Deadliest Catch 2 weeks ago they did a copter rescue (someone on a boat was having seizures) and were supposed to head to one base but the weather was so bad that they diverted somewhere else to get out of the weather (freezing rain and copters dont mix) and land safely.

not really, in the past when fuel was not such a cost issue, the AK ships went to HI to patrol and the HI boats came up to AK.

Just to give the crews a break and change of scenery. There is a HI boat up here now.

not really, in the past when fuel was not such a cost issue, the AK ships went to HI to patrol and the HI boats came up to AK.

Just to give the crews a break and change of scenery. There is a HI boat up here now.

I think that if you end up in HI while Trudy's in Kodiak, you'll really be in the dog house. :ph34r

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest lizmego
send sun and blinds and door stops and real wood (spruce is pretty much it here and it burns quick)

yeah, sun would be nice - need to dry up the yard a bit so we can get back there and get it ready for a few cords of wood.

Sun may be a tad difficult to ship...

Just curious, Jeff, but what convinced you to take the assignment on Kodiak? Did they paint a rosy picture of what life would be like or was there a substantial pay raise involved. Just can't quite grasp why there, of all places.

Patti

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

I'll be in HI before too long. We have some stuff to do down there on our next patrol.

I took a promotion/commission from Senior Chief to Chief Warrant Officer, and that came with a 2 year tour to Kodiak.

It was take it and move to Kodiak, or turn down the promotion.

2 years of crap, for a nicer payoff in the end when I retire.

you and me both...

That would be the same reason that Mt Home AFB, in Idaho, was NOT located right outside Boise, but instead was a 50mile drive through sagebrush and a whole bunch of nothing.

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Congrats on the promotion....deepest sympathies on the crap.

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

The house is all now a soft off white/linen color with the exception of the bathrooms, which will be that color tonight.

So all painting should be done tonight and some touchups will be done tomorrow as they see what needs to be redone and the hard core cleaning starts.

Wednesday our express shipment will be delivered and Thursday our main shipment will be there!

And I saw this thing tonight on the way back from the house after going to White Sand Beach (sorry, but it looks like black sand to me and Ryan was not at all thrilled with the fireworks) - it blinded me for a couple of seconds. I think it may have been the sun, but I've not seen it in a while, so I'm not sure :lol

The house is all now a soft off white/linen color with the exception of the bathrooms, which will be that color tonight.

So all painting should be done tonight and some touchups will be done tomorrow as they see what needs to be redone and the hard core cleaning starts.

Wednesday our express shipment will be delivered and Thursday our main shipment will be there!

And I saw this thing tonight on the way back from the house after going to White Sand Beach (sorry, but it looks like black sand to me and Ryan was not at all thrilled with the fireworks) - it blinded me for a couple of seconds. I think it may have been the sun, but I've not seen it in a while, so I'm not sure :lol

Considering the lack of sun now, and the endless night you're facing this Winter, you might want to consider getting some full spectrum lighting. I'm guessing SAD is rampant up there.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest IrskasMom

I see just a flicker of Light on the End of the Tunnel . So when all is in Place and you can put your Feet up and watch

some TV ( some time away ) even we can relax a bit to. This is even stressful on us and we are not even there.

Hugs to all of you :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:dogcookie:dogcookie:dogcookie for the Babies.

Wow! what a trip you guys had!

I acutally had time this morning to read it all!

all of the pictures were awesome.

but out of all of them the pups were the best!

So sorry about the crappy conditions. I would have died if I walked into all that mess. I am not good at filth!

Hoping that your stay will go quickly and that HI will be the next place you go.

When you retire Jeff...where do you think you two will be living then?

just curious.

In loving Memory of: 

Chip, Wendell, Tessa, Moose, Moody, Noble Storm, Thunder, Gracie, Duke

no clue where we will retire yet.

Ideally some state that does not tax military retirement, is warm, near ocean beaches, is reasonably inexpensive to live, and has ample job selection for Trudy in her field.

The Carolina's and South, maybe Texas, not really sure yet. I'll be eligible to retire in 2 years, but highly doubt I will leave at 20.

To make this recent promotion a good deal, I need to at least another 4 after the 20 point. Then it becomes a big deal.

Guest IrskasMom

I don't know if the State of Maryland Taxes Military Retirement ( They do Tax my Pension & SSI ) but Southern

Maryland ( Solomons Island ) is real nice . Ocean on Hand ,hot in Summer , cool in Winter still all the Season's ,Farmland

around and Still close to major City's.Just a Thought .And also we had no major Hurricane's come this way . Yes we had some, but

not to that extend of total Distraction.

Edited by IrskasMom

no clue where we will retire yet.

Ideally some state that does not tax military retirement, is warm, near ocean beaches, is reasonably inexpensive to live, and has ample job selection for Trudy in her field.

The Carolina's and South, maybe Texas...

The Gulf of Mexico really can't even pretend to be an ocean. If you want to retire to South Texas start those Berlitz courses in Spanish now.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Oh my! Eagle! (she exclaimed, carefully not mentioning the other ... um ... sights)

Good job on meeting the picture quota, Trudy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest IrskasMom

Omg...... that Eagle is beautiful ,we see only Hawks here. Even in Alaska you see dumping ..... SAD .