The Road To Kodiak - Underway As Before

Jeff

Is Amazon smarter than a 5th grader?

No. No they are not.

continental

US is part of the North American Continent. Alaska is part of the US. Alaska is also part of the North American Continent.

So when you say that something applies to the Continental US, that includes AK.

I sent Amazon an email back in Feb after we found out we were moving to AK. I received a response that led us to keep our Amazon Prime membership when it was time to renew recently.

Thank you for writing to Amazon.com.

Please note that same shipping rates will be applied even after you change your address to Kodiak, AK.

Amazon Prime is a membership program that offers the added shopping convenience of "all-you-can-eat" express shipping. For an annual fee of $79, you and members of your household receive:

- Free Two-Day Shipping on more than one million in-stock items sold by Amazon.com.

- Items in multiple-item orders are shipped as soon as they're available--at no extra charge.

- Upgrades to One-Day (Overnight) Shipping for just $3.99 per item.

- Free standard shipping for eligible items shipped to P.O. boxes in the continental United States and APO/FPO addresses with

U.S. zip codes.

- No minimum purchases required.

- Members-only 1-Click buttons on product pages.

- Shared benefits with up to four family members living in the same household.

To become a member of Amazon Prime, visit our Sign-Up page:

http://www.amazon.com/prime

More information on Amazon Prime is available on our Help pages:

http://www.amazon.com/help/prime

Thank you for your interest in Amazon Prime.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:

If yes, click here:

http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-y?c=wyfyydfa3431799416

If not, click here:

http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-n?c=wyfyydfa3431799416

Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept incoming e-mail.

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section of our web site.

Best regards,

vijayabhaskar.A.V.

Amazon.com Customer Service

http://www.amazon.com

==============================

Check your order and more: http://www.amazon.com/your-account

---- Original message: ----

---------------

02/16/08 07:31:09

Your Name:Trudy L Wilson

Comments:

I've looked through the FAQ and such on shipping, but wasn't' entirely clear.

I have a prime account and we will be transferring to Kodiak, AK in a few months. What does this mean for shipping items? Most of what we buy is directly through Amazon.

Thanks, Trudy

I'm thinking vijayabhaskar.A.V. does not have a good grasp of US geography or thought AK was Arkansas?

Either way, I was a wee bit pissed off when they tried to charge me <$40 for shipping this evening and I had to call and figure out why I had an email telling me that Kodiak, AK, would be the same shipping as we had in NY.

Um nope, it's not.

And not even all the super saver shipping stuff applies either!

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone find me a decent usable weather radar image of Kodiak?

Things like weather.com, noaa.gov, and wunderground.com don't seem to be of any use.

There is no local news channel, so no local news web site either.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

That blows Trudy! Are they going to honor the email?

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

You can try Intellicast or Moreweather Jeff. They are both blocked here at work now, so I'm not sure what you will get.

no, but they refunded the prime membership.

I've just been looking at domain names. kodiaksucks.com is available :lol

Scum-sucking dogs!!

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

no, but they refunded the prime membership.

I've just been looking at domain names. kodiaksucks.com is available :lol

:lol:lol:lol:lol

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

DH and I ran into an old friend from the Coast Guard yesterday at a party. He was here in the DC area, but got transferred out to CA a few years ago. He's now back working in Northern VA (Ballston). We told him about you guys in Kodiak. He said that he heard Kodiak was nice. :blink: Guess the Coast Guard lies about it there so folks don't try to run off before getting there. :lol

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest vtgreys

Things like weather.com, noaa.gov, and wunderground.com don't seem to be of any use.

Weather Underground is my favorite weather site. They seem to have some decent maps, images etc.

Jeff, have you been to work yet? How are conditions there? I'm so sorry that things are the way they are, but at least it's for a limited (albeit two years) time. Hopefully you'll be able to see some more of those silver linings to this situation.

Mom to Daisy (1999-2012), LB (aka Little Bit), and Sammy James (aka Sammy or Buddy)

Weather Underground is my favorite weather site. They seem to have some decent maps, images etc.

did ya read my post?

Jeff, have you been to work yet? How are conditions there? I'm so sorry that things are the way they are, but at least it's for a limited (albeit two years) time. Hopefully you'll be able to see some more of those silver linings to this situation.

The base is fine, the boat is an old 378, so it is what was expected.

The island/area just sucks big time.

Actually Trudy, while Amazon might want to reword their shipping to contiguous states (which is what their pea brains probably mean) I gotta give them props that your response was signed by vijayabhaskar.A.V. At least it wasn't like when you call so many companies and a decidedly Indian voice says "Thank you for calling XXX, this is Craig, how may I help you?"

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest FrostyBottoms
I'm not sayin' you should, but you always could set the Wikipedia record straight on Kodiak. For example, under "Climate and culture" it sounds like you guys have a lot to add. :ph34r

:lol Sounds to me like Jeff and Trudy better get busy huntin' fishin' and berry pickin' if they want to keep up with the Jones'.

Pam...that made me LOL! Sorry Jeff & Trudy! :lol

Have you tried this site?

http://climate.gi.alaska.edu/wx/forecast.html

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

Have you tried weatherbug.com ? It does have radar that covers Alaska that includes Kodiak. It's sure not Kodiak specific....but it does have animated radar that covers Kodiak.

And when all else fails...there is always

http://www.findlocalweather.com/radar_loop/ak/kodiak.html

Edited by greyhounds1234

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

Guest vtgreys

did ya read my post?

umm, apparently KNOT, duh. Just ignore me, my extended work schedule over the last few days has obviously gotten to me.

Assume you wanted one more detailed than this ... http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/alaska_loop.php

I checked some of the aviation weather sites but for graphics, all roads lead to NOAA.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytexplorer
10 day forecast... RAIN

That doesn't mean good things for dirt roads.

And who the heck wants to have to work in the yard - clean up pallets that are falling apart and left over bark so we can put down new pallets and get a few cords of wood - in the RAIN??

But it looks like we are going to have to do that now.

So no, not really looking up yet, it looks cold, bleak and rainy!

I did notice in one of the backyard photos that someone had taken the time to paint a pallet a lovely tropical azure blue color!! :)

10 day forecast... RAIN

That doesn't mean good things for dirt roads.

And who the heck wants to have to work in the yard - clean up pallets that are falling apart and left over bark so we can put down new pallets and get a few cords of wood - in the RAIN??

But it looks like we are going to have to do that now.

Oo no, not really looking up yet, it looks cold, bleak and rainy!

Sorry Trudy. Guess you'd better get used to it. :( From the above mentioned Wihipedia blurb...

"Kodiak is known for its rain. This creates lush green during the summer months. Winter temperatures are moderate. While snow storms and freezing temperatures are not uncommon, neither are warm, above-freezing temperatures with rain...

The lifestyles of many Kodiak residents still include subsistence food gathering. Fishing (particularly for salmon and halibut), hunting (for black-tailed deer, elk, and goats), and berry-picking (salmonberry, blueberry, and high- and low-bush cranberry) are common summer and fall activities."

Jeff, from another part of that article I gues your work is on the Munro?

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I did notice in one of the backyard photos that someone had taken the time to paint a pallet a lovely tropical azure blue color!! :)

Nope, some pallets actually arrive that color, no painting necessary - that would have been too much effort and the paint job on the pallet is way better than the paint job in the house.

nuttin

And when all else fails...there is always

http://www.findlocalweather.com/radar_loop/ak/kodiak.html

nuttin

Assume you wanted one more detailed than this ... http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/alaska_loop.php

nuttin

No radar shows the 'inhabited' part of Kodiak Island, like the town of Kodiak.

Thanks for looking, but end the search, it does not exist.

Jeff, from another part of that article I guess your work is on the Munro?

Yes, I am on CGC Munro

I've been here a week. I miss Home Depot and Lowes!!!!

I might just have to open one here... it will be packed, at least until we move and then I don't care :lol

I've already sent a list to my parents to run to Lowe's for since we can't order it from Lowe's online.