Bodie Needs White Light And Prayers

Guest Bodie

Guest Vinnie

Sending scritches for Bodie and lots of hugs for all. When our Angel Vinnie was finicky - he liked over easy eggs and waffles/pancakes or spaghetti. We were pup sitting for another friend and her Whippet refused to eat for 2-1/2 days - I finally got him started with some homemade crunchy peanut butter cookies - once he started on that we cooked some hearts and gizzards and liver - and he started eating again. It's so frustrating and heart breaking when they won't eat. Ohhh, you might try liverwurst or braunschwager (not sure about the spelling) - our gang especially likes that when pills are involved - they take it right down and look for more. And for the big D - we add sweet potatoes and broth flavored rice. Hope he gets to feeling better now that he is home with you. We will be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Techniques:

1- Feed from people bowl with spoon.

2- Warming food.

3- Feeding when people are eating.

4- Sitting down next to dog and doing "bite for me, bite for you." I usually do this with graham crackers or cinnamon bread, not tripe! :lol

5- Offering many small meals a day.

Foods:

scrambled eggs

spaghettios

tripett or other canned tripe mashed up with warm water

processed cheese slices

1-2 mashed poached chicken livers

canned tuna, jack mackerel, salmon, sardines

cinnamon bread

graham crackers

50-50 cooked beef and chicken with a slurp of molasses mixed in

cottage cheese if you know he can tolerate it

anything with a drizzle of honey, molasses, or vanilla ice cream on top

Note: Mashed potatoes will give any of my dogs horrid watery diarrhea. No idea why.

Speaking of diarrhea:

1- The suggestion about metamucil wafers! I usually just give half a one twice a day (so one per day total).

2- Endosorb. Ask your vets about it if they haven't given you any. Might interfere with some other meds.

3- Pepto Bismol NONchewables ("gelcaps" I think they're called). Check with vet about interaction with other meds.

4- If indoors is a problem, I limit the dog's area somewhat and spread old towels/blankies on the floor. Avoids having to dig it *all* out of the carpet if there is a miss.

In case he decides not to drink enough either:

1- 50/50 water/milk or water/apple juice, warmed to room temp.

2- water with some honey or molasses mixed in

3- I usually take the dog a small bowlful of prepared mixture rather than just putting it in his bowl. Makes it "special" so it usually goes down.

Lots of hugs and prayers and gentle little scritchies.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Being home should jump start his appetite. My old vet used to suggest a teaspoon of honey. It did work.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest LadyChester

So glad he's home with you; I'm sure he's incredibly happy to be with all of you. There are so many good ideas posted. Hugs to you and to Bodie :grouphug

Guest Bodie

Bodie made a turnaround tonight. He is more alert and even looking a little perkier. He ate a hard boiled egg and about a cup of boiled chicken. He would have eaten more, but I didn't want to undo the progress we made by overdoing it. I'll give him some more at bedtime.

Dr. London and I think his stomach was upset by the tramadol he was taking for his sore rear end. Once the tramadol was out of his system, he perked up. His diarrhea has lessoned, also. While he isn't solid yet, he hasn't had a bout since noontime. I treated his rear end with betadyne solution and Dr. London had given me some prescription Lidocaine (sp?). He seems to find that soothing. By the way, as a helpful hint to others facing diarrhea, I cleaned him up afterwards with baby wipes with aloe. He tolerated that very well in a very sensitive area.

So now it's just wait and see. Thank you all for your white light and prayers. They have really helped!

Rhonda

Bodie & Rainy

Guest MomoftheFuzzy
Sending prayers to Bodie and you. I think it's a temporary setback due to all the change and stress. And when he gets settled back at home with all the TLC that you and his sister can give him, things will clear up. I'd never heard of Turbotainia's suggestion about the Metamucil wafers, but that is something to remember.

And you're right, we will tell you not to beat yourself up, and we mean it! Don't waste a moment on what might have been, just concentrate on your sweet boy. He's got a ton of good thoughts coming out to him.

What she said. :heart

You're such a good mama to your boy. I'm so glad he's back home... I bet that heals him up in little or no time at all. In the meantime, I'll continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

I know this isn't new, but the vet had me cook white rice and put in cultured yogurt. Since the hound with the diarhhea(sp?) had it, I had to give it to both hounds. I gradually added the dry kibble and in three days, she was fine. I hope he gets to feeling better soon! Just being with his momma will make him feel better too.

If he has stress diarrhea, I would let his gut rest right now. My Vet suggested some old fashioned chicken soup to stimulate Nevada's appetite.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

I'm so happy Bodie is feeling better. Hug him for me. I had tramadol for my back problems...oh boy...I took one and within an hour I was so sick with nausea and vomiting. It was horrible. I just know you and he are so happy that he's back home. :grouphug

Edited by patricia

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest greytmonty

Hugs from our gang too. Keep it up, Mr. Bodie, we are all pulling for you! Feel better today and eat some yummy (bland?) food.

sending many prayers he continues to improve!!! :hope :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Rhonda,

Hugs and prayers from you neighbor across the way!

Nichole, Kiaba & Tehya

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Guest LolasMom

Thinking of you this morning and so glad to hear you're feeling better. Keep getting stronger and perkier sweetheart. :wub:

Edited by LolasMom

Guest MAXNAV
Bodie made a turnaround tonight. He is more alert and even looking a little perkier. He ate a hard boiled egg and about a cup of boiled chicken. He would have eaten more, but I didn't want to undo the progress we made by overdoing it. I'll give him some more at bedtime.

Dr. London and I think his stomach was upset by the tramadol he was taking for his sore rear end. Once the tramadol was out of his system, he perked up. His diarrhea has lessoned, also. While he isn't solid yet, he hasn't had a bout since noontime. I treated his rear end with betadyne solution and Dr. London had given me some prescription Lidocaine (sp?). He seems to find that soothing. By the way, as a helpful hint to others facing diarrhea, I cleaned him up afterwards with baby wipes with aloe. He tolerated that very well in a very sensitive area.

So now it's just wait and see. Thank you all for your white light and prayers. They have really helped!

Rhonda

Bodie & Rainy

Hi,

Glad to hear he's doing better. You also might want to try some white boiled rice. It really does help with firming up the stools. I had to use this often with my dog and it really works. I had a rough collie, and those baby wipes helped tremendously. We're thinking of you.

Guest Bodie

Just a quick update:

Bodie ate boiled chicken, but turned up his nose at white rice and a little kibble this morning at breakfast.

At noon, I dashed home from work and he had a hard boiled egg, more chicken, and a little kibble with chicken broth on it. I really would like to get some rice down him, so I'll make some fresh this evening when I get home from work. Maybe that will appeal to him. He is generally not a picky eater.

He still has runny diarrhea, however, which conerns me. He is taking two doses a day of a diarrhea drug that begins with M (it's at home) and Immodium AD - both provided by OSU. I can't believe that isn't drying him up. He is still drinking, so I don't think dehydration will be a problem.

He is looking and acting perkier today now that he is off the tramadol, but he still prefers to just sleep. I have to rouse him for trips to the yard. He did get up on his own to eat, however - a good sign.

Guest luckydog

Try making the rice using chicken broth--you'll get him to eat the rice and it'll taste like chicken to him. A win-win situation! :grouphug