Festus...need Prayers, Updated June 11. Pictures Post 120

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending :getwell wishes and prayers to your sweet boy. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Sending prayers and white light. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Well, I'm BACK! Two hours at the vet.

They believe that it's inflammatory bowel disease that is preventing the bloodstream from absorbing protein, which is causing this fluid buildup in his abdomen and atrophy in his muscles. Luckily, it's not in his chest at this point. She gave me the run down on what we were going to do predicated on him not having protein in his urine. Then they checked his urine and not only does he have protein, but also blood and bilirubin. SOOOO they think he also has a bladder infection. So then she had to re-think the whole plan. Now we have a new plan.

He's got a special diet (which she said that he'll probably need for the rest of his life), and drugs. It's kind of complicated, so I have to write it all down. Luckily, the kids are done with school in a few days so they can help. Helping Festus will be their summer jobs!

Blood profile: $69

Non-wellness exam: $52.45

Abdominal xrays views: $104.90

SuperChem/CBC SA020 (that's bloodwork, right???): $45

45 Prednisone tabs (50mg each): $24.75

6 cans Z/D 13 oz: $22.68

6 cans i/d 13 oz: $14.52

18# bag of dry z/d: $42.35

28 Metronizazole 500 mg: $10.10

9 Baytril (136 mg): $44.91

Urinalysis: $36

GRAND TOTAL: $472.02

Festus isn't dying: Priceless

He has to go in once or twice a week to have his blood and urine re-checked for a few weeks, and then monitored for the next six months. Don't even want to know what that's going to cost.

I'm feeling really wrung out and have to head in to work now for a bit, then Gabe has a soccer game. This has been a really trying weekend, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate your support.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

Good news that it's not anything worse Tami!

If he needs to stay on pred and baytril for a while, see if you can get your vet to help you cut costs by writing you a scrip because those are both on the $4 program at Wal-mart

:grouphug :grouphug

Forever in my Heart Joe T Greyhound, Charly Bear, Angel Daisy, and Katze & Buzz Kitty.

Oh thank GOD. What a relief for you, I'm sure.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest argolola

Festus, you sweet boy. You are going to be just fine. Mommy's pocketbook may be hurting, but that will get better too.

God bless.

Guest KyGrey

Tami, I'm sorry I missed this until now. I'm so glad it's something that can be managed with meds. Will the vet let you make payments? That might help.

WHEW :) That's good news!!! Just now seeing this, so thank God I didn't have to wait til tomorrow to see the good news :)

I know what you mean about the not having any money and the unexpected vet bills. I've spent over $400 myself last month on Major and Black Jack (both are doing much better now thank God) But my neighborhood is having a yard sale on Saturday and I'm cleaning house BIG TIME and getting rid of a ton of "JUNK" i.e. stuff I never use and is just laying around collecting dust. Maybe you and the boys could have a yard sale to make up some extra money :)

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

Guest VelvetEars

I just saw this, and although I know the pain in the pocketbook, knowing that he's "fixable" is, as you say, priceless. Yard sales are a great idea! Or - tell the kids to go out and sell lemonade to save their dog! (It's working for the cat in Utah!)

Glad your vet was able to give you some diagnoses and course of treatment. Keeping Festus in my prayers for the best health possible. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I am glad that you found out what is going on with your sweet baby. Sending more prayers and hugs. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest guinness_the_greyt

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!! :yay Bummer that it cost that much money! But now you have answers and will be able to treat him! I'm so happy he's going to be ok!

Congrats Tami!! Hope he is feeling better soon!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

How's he doing today, Tami?

If you need to keep up the ID/ZD, might check around for prices or see if your vet will give you a quantity discount.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest paulamariez

I'm glad to hear that Festus has something "fixable". Poor you and your pocketbook though! I've been there! I will keep your precious boy in my prayers for a quick recovery!

Good news that it's not anything worse Tami!

If he needs to stay on pred and baytril for a while, see if you can get your vet to help you cut costs by writing you a scrip because those are both on the $4 program at Wal-mart

:grouphug :grouphug

Thank you for this suggestion! It sounds like he's going to have to be on this and the special diet for the rest of his life, so I will talk to her about this at his next visit. We're heading to the vet tomorrow morning to have his blood and urine tested.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

I'll also check around on pricing on the food.

The update is this. The kids and I think he looks better today, but he's panting non-stop this evening. Not sure what that's about. The tests in the morning are just tech visits for a stick, and just $15! YAY!

He's eating up his food and meds like a champ. He LOVES it, really. The vet said that many dogs can "eat their way out of this." Meaning that as long as they keep it down and don't get the runs and take their meds, they can recover.

In other news, I got out of work around 9 pm last night and then went to the storage unit. I filled up the trailer and the back of the van and then headed to the grocery store. I filled up the cart and was walking out to the parking lot and saw a cat wandering. I was kind of thinking that maybe, just maybe this time I wouldn't stop, but then a 12 pack of pop fell out of my cart and pop cans rolled all over the place, so I had to stop. (Nice touch from the angels, perhaps.) Anyway, so I pick up this cat, and he wraps his front paws around my arm, buries his head in my chest and starts to purr. Well, good grief, it was a full on frontal assault. So I hugged him for a while and tried to talk the other people in the parking lot into taking him. (This is now after midnight, so there weren't many people to ask.) Anyway, I had a can of dog food handy, so I gave him that while I picked up the pop and loaded the groceries into the car.

There was NO ROOM in the car for ANYTHING ELSE. I mean it. The car was PACKED full. So I rode home with the can of dog food between my legs and the cat in my lap, on the steering wheel, walking across the dash...

He slept with Gabe last night. Snuggled with him all night long. This morning I brought him to the vet and got the HUGE mat removed from his side (4" x 5" x 1") and got him on antibiotics for his open wounds and Revolution for his fleas. Then as I was taking him and paying (over $100...nice), I found a wood tick. Then a deer tick. Then the vet tech came and was scratching him and found another HUGE wood tick. Well, he has to be on the Revolution for three days before they'll give him anything for the ticks. He's got long white hair, so I don't know if we got them all.

Anyway, he's the NICEST cat you could ever want to meet, but he can't stay here. I have three cats, three dogs and two teenage boys and a job that is killing me softly with it's music program. I can't take on any more. He still need to be tested for FIV and feline leukemia, so I have to keep him separate from teh other cats. He also needs shots, etc. But I can't afford that right now. I'm trying to find him a good home though, so PLEASE if anyone knows someone... Even the vets and staff said that he was the nicest cat they'd met in a very long time. He let them shave him, take his temp, put stuff on his open wounds, etc., and didn't try to even pull away. He's neutered, too. Someone loved this cat, but that was a long time ago judging from his condition.

So many foreclosures in this area, and an elderly population...so much could have happened to him. Anyway, he's safe for now and is having a nice rest. Maybe after my next pay check, if he's still here and I haven't found a home, I'll have him tested for FIV and leukemia and he can meet the other pets.

Okay, well, that was a LONG story, wasn't it? I'm off to eat dinner and watch a movie with the boys.

Thanks for listening and for all your prayers. Festus is now sleeping (and not panting) on the couch with me. I'm really anxious to hear the test results tomorrow so keep those prayers coming. The vet said that if we could get his protein level up even a LITTLE (she said to 1.8) that we'll at least be heading in the right direction. So that's what we're praying for. Higher protein levels!

Here's a couple of pics. You can see how big his tummy is, though I think it looks slightly smaller than yesterday...

320230857.jpg

320230863.jpg

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Ohhhhh he looks so bloated! Poor guy! Hopefully his belly will return to normal soon!

Give him the remote and call him Al Bundy! :P

:heart Festus :heart

:lol At least he doesn't seem to be in pain. The vet said that the greatest danger is that the fluid will start to collect on his lungs, which would impede his breathing. So I've been watching for a cough or anything like that. So far just a tiny bit when he gets excited. Lucky for us very little excites Festus.