Red Circular Spots...

Any ideas what these are on Zelda? We give heartworm at the beginning of each month and we just started frontline plus in mid-April and will continue through November. We just found these before our walk today. I'm going to take the pictures to the vets tomorrow when I take in the cat to see what they think. Could it be allergies, skin infection, some type of worm, etc.? The only thing different is within the last week or so I've been taking them (a total of 3 times including today) to the local metropark to walk them on the bike trail (it's paved) and today was the first day we actually saw any other dogs. She has been laying in the grass in the backyard quite a bit lately and we haven't done anything to the yard this year, so I don't know what to think. I've never seen these on Pop before, so this is a new one for me.

zeldatummy4.jpg

zeldatummy.jpg

zeldatummy1.jpg

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Guest doggiehappiness

Ernie has one of these, too. I'm not sure what it is, but it is completely flat and doesn't seem to be bothering him. I am calling the vet tomorrow. What could it be?

Looks like bug bites.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

My two get them from time to time. Jake has a few now from scratching. I wonder if they are like a small bruise.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Looks like bug bites.

That was my thought due to her laying in the grass more with the warmer weather. Any idea what to use on them? Or should I just wait and talk to the vet tomorrow when I take in the pictures?

If they are bothering her, you can give Benadryl. Other than that I would wait until tomorrow.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

She doesn't seem to pay any attention to them, but we were worried as we'd never seen them before...then again, Pop lays on the deck, not in the grass, even if his outdoor bed isn't outside. So maybe it is bug bites, but I just wanted to see what others thought.

I'd like to know what they are too. When we gor out first greyhound many years ago, she had two of them in perfect symmetry to each other right at the base of her belly just before her back legs, one on each side of the center of her belly. They came out of nowhere, started as small red dots, and within hours developed the white centers as they spread out. In a day they were gone. She only had those two, and only once as far as I know. Earlier that day we walked to our neighbors to go see her new goats and our girlie was very stressed by the goats. I had no clue what they were, they did not bother her and were gone as fast as they came on. I attibuted to something to do with stress.

Several years later when we adopted our newer girlie, she had the same thing happen. Only two, symetrical to each other, came on suddenly as tiny red dots, spread out creating a white center until they completely faded in a day. She was really new when this happened as we had just adopted her and it was in August. Stress also???

Are these related somehow? Does it only happen to females (I never had a male grey). Are they bugs, related to stress???

I tried to search up some information but found nothing that looked like these. Maybe an e-mail to Dr. Couto would be the way to go.

I forgot to add, Zelda was quite the diva when we were taking these photos...we had to muzzle her as she tried to nip us for lifting her leg and she was letting out the GSD a few times...b/f tried rubbing her shoulder to distract her, but she does not like people messing with her feet and apparently she doesn't like you to lift her leg to get pictures of the red spots...

Guest kbone

Years ago when I took JAck to doggie day care, he would come home with these all over his belly. We figured out it was another dog nipping at him.

Guest iconsmum
I'd like to know what they are too. When we gor out first greyhound many years ago, she had two of them in perfect symmetry to each other right at the base of her belly just before her back legs, one on each side of the center of her belly. They came out of nowhere, started as small red dots, and within hours developed the white centers as they spread out. In a day they were gone. She only had those two, and only once as far as I know. Earlier that day we walked to our neighbors to go see her new goats and our girlie was very stressed by the goats. I had no clue what they were, they did not bother her and were gone as fast as they came on. I attibuted to something to do with stress.

Several years later when we adopted our newer girlie, she had the same thing happen. Only two, symetrical to each other, came on suddenly as tiny red dots, spread out creating a white center until they completely faded in a day. She was really new when this happened as we had just adopted her and it was in August. Stress also???

Are these related somehow? Does it only happen to females (I never had a male grey). Are they bugs, related to stress???

I tried to search up some information but found nothing that looked like these. Maybe an e-mail to Dr. Couto would be the way to go.

Ringworm...Google "Ringworm in Dogs"...it's contagious to humans. You need to get the vet to confirm it but I think that's what it is.

Ringworm...Google "Ringworm in Dogs"...it's contagious to humans. You need to get the vet to confirm it but I think that's what it is.

I did come up with the same information re: ringworm, but would it go away overnight with no trace?

Guest greypack

I had a friend with a min doxie who got these exact things on her belly. Same as you describe. DF rushed her to the vet in a panic. The vet chuckled and told her that they were common, and that they were a bug bite (can't remember the name of the bug) and that they would go away. He said that said bugs are in the grass commonly, and that her little belly was so low to the ground that she is more prone to the bites.

Even after seeing the same thing happen first hand to another dog, I'm pretty OCD about my puppers, so I'd still take them to the vet to see anyways.

Hoping it's nothing, good luck

Yes - I agree - bug bites. My boy, Toby, now at the bridge, used to get these all the time in the spring and summer. It helped if I sprayed him lightly on his belly with the Off bug spray for sensitive skin and kids.

Guest poopsie1

Stanley had these too and I was so worried. They would pop up and then disappear in a day. I was walking him a lot in a grassy, kind of wooded area. When we found out he had ticks and fleas we treated them and he hasn't had another spot since. They used to show up on his belly down by his thingy and on the insides of his thighs.

Its spring, the bugs are out!!!

Lou has the same and last year at this time he got them to.

He lays on the grass and the nasty buggers have a field day.

I use an ointment called "Chiggerex Plus" or antibacterial ointment or calamine lotion.

The marks usually go a way in a day until those buggers get him again.

Edited by msjpk

Guest rubysdad
Its spring, the bugs are out!!!

Lou has the same and last year at this time he got them to.

He lays on the grass and the nasty buggers have a field day.

I use an ointment called "Chiggerex Plus" or antibacterial ointment or calamine lotion.

The marks usually go a way in a day until those buggers get him again.

My terrier got those marks every spring. Every year we took her to the vets and they acted like they had never seen it before. The marks were treated with a steroid injection and followed with cream. Cream without the injection did not work. Finally someone did a blood test and found she had a thyroid problem. Once on medication, she never got the marks again.

That is NOT ringworm.

Looks like either hives (allergic reaction to laying in the grass?) or possibly bug bites.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest LindyNH

Those definitely look like black fly bites. My two get them every year at this time. They will fade pretty quickly.

I just spoke to the vet and showed her the pictures. She said if they are red spots that are flat, it's more than likely black fly bites. If they are raised or have pus, could be the start of an infection...she said either way to keep an eye on them to see if they get worse

BTW, I went to lift Zelda's leg to look at them (without a muzzle on) and I was petting her head at the same time to distract her...she came back biting...something about she does not like her hind legs handled at all, so now we have to use the muzzle to do anything with her legs. Cat is staying with the vet until they can get a urine sample and take x-rays as she may have bladder stones.