Black Jack.... Is All Better :)

I don't have the energy to type a new post so I'm just going to post the e-mail I sent to my family today from work. Since I went to work late and left early I need to work 2 1/2 hours from home so might not be back on tonight to check responses. Please keep my monster in your prayers :hope

Friday morning I noticed Black Jack's hips were a little stiff and figured, well he's almost 10 years old, guess it's time to start giving him glucosamine (it helps joints and muscles) so started sprinkling it in his food. Last night when I got home from Cincinnati, he was in the back yard and trotting across the yard and started yelping and limping on his back left foot. By the time we went to bed last night, he could barely get up/lay down and wasn't putting any pressure on it at all, so I took him to the vet this morning at 9:30.

Dr. Goranflo did an exam and felt that he needed to do an x-ray to rule anything out (he didn't need to say it, I knew exactly what he was talking about). Osteosarcoma - Bone Cancer.

I teared up and he said, try to stay optimistic, but he is almost 10 years old (he's old for a greyhound) and he is a greyhound (Osteosarcoma is the #1 killer in greyhounds and it runs very high, I've had several friends that have lost their dogs to it, all of them were younger than Black Jack). He said he didn't want to scare me, but he needed to be honest and there is a good chance that's what it is. So he wanted me to leave Black Jack there and call him at 2:30.

I called at 2:30 and he said the x-rays were inconclusive. Most people usually wait a few days/weeks when their dogs are limping before they take them to the vet (if you know me and know how much I love my babies, you know I'm not one to wait). So if it IS cancer, it's too small right now to show up on the x-ray. This type of cancer will only show up on an x-ray. There are no blood tests and there are no biopsy's at this point, it's just sit and wait. Osteosarcoma is a very aggressive cancer and life expectancy is anywhere from 1 week to 5 months from diagnosis (trying to stay optimistic here, he has not been diagnosed with it yet). So the only thing we can do is wait and see. Scroll down to Canine Osteosarcoma for more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteosarcoma

He said the sore spot is at the top of his tibia and it could very well just be a soft tissue injury so for right now, that is how we are going to treat it. He's going to give me Rymadill (anti-inflammatory) and see if that helps. If the injury gets better in the next week or two, more than likely a soft tissue injury (generally takes 5-6 weeks to heal completely) if it gets worse, we'll do another x-ray to confirm if it is cancer or not. (regardless, he'll be getting another x-ray in 2-3 weeks just to put my mind at ease and if it IS cancer, hopefully we'll catch it early enough so we can treat it with medication and hopefully give him a few more months of a good quality of life).

I love Major and Black Jack more than anyone could ever imagine and this is really hard on me right now. I will do what ever I can to give my boy a good quality (and pain free) life. I will not put him through chemotherapy and will not put him through amputation. If it does turn out to be cancer, then I'll just continue to love my boy as much as I can and spend as much time with him that I can until he let's me know he's ready.

So PLEASE, PLEASE understand what I am going through right now. I do not have a husband or children (a.k.a "family of my own"), these dogs ARE my family and I love them more than you could ever imagine. PLEASE keep us in your prayers and hope for the best that this is just a soft tissue injury and I'll have a few more years with my monster. Please also understand that the next couple of days/weeks are probably going to be pretty hard on me emotionally. Please bear with me, I'll do the best I can.

Edited by bjnno1

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BJ.

piratehugf1.gif

we're here for you. And we're here WITH you.

Many prayers.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Aww B.J, no! I'll keep praying it's 'just' a soft tissue injury.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Fingers crossed BJ- limping can be so many things- could be an ACL, just a twist or who knows. My friend's 13 year old boy couldn't get up on day...we pretty much thought that was that. Within a week he was his old self and back to walking 2 miles at a time. No one has any idea what it was. He still gets a little shakey now and then but by and large he is one happy fella...a limp isn't always bad news- lots of white light and healing thoughts heading to both you and Black Jack.

Kim, (PW's) Nate Dogg and Chloe (TJ Zorabell) - always in our hearts, (Racey) Benson and Polly (Racey Pauline)

allpups.jpg

NaturallyGrey Email List

Oh dear... :( Sending "it's just something minor" thoughts and loads of :getwell wishes and prayers to your precious boy. :hope Many hugs to you, too.

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

BJ, I know exactly what you're feeling right now. My Andy has had a limp for quite a while now. He too was x-rayed and it showed nothing. We too have treated it like a soft tissue injury with no success. He is going back this week for another x-ray. I will keep you both in my prayers. I guess we'll do the waiting game together.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Lots of prayers, BJ. Hug those boys for me, OK?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest HeatherDemps

I hope it turns out to be something minor, rather than osteo. You may want to see if your vet can email the x-rays to Dr. Coutu at Ohio State University. He has a lot of experience with greyhounds and cancer and he is always willing to give an opinion.

We were told on 12/21 that my grey likely had osteo in his front right leg. We did additional x-rays but no biopsy, etc and amputated on 1/16 and he finished chemo last week. He turned 12 in March and so far, so good. I like to think that we caught it early.... I think that many, if not all, here will understand your fear and the pain you feel at the thought of this being osteo. Our hounds steal a chunk of our hearts that can't be filled by friends, family, etc....

If it does turn out to be osteo, you might want to consider joining Circle of Grey- it's a mailing list for GH people who are dealing with cancer or illnesses. In addition to the help here on GT, I've found it to be a very good support system...

Please keep us updated.

Heather

Oh BJ. I know exactly how you are feeling. Just to let you know my 9 year old black Jack went through the same thing only on the front. And it was a nasty soft tissue injury and it did take almost 6 weeks. So I hope and pray, in fact I darn well insist that's what your BlackJack's is going to be!!!!!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

VET VISIT UPDATE: I saw the x-rays when I went to pick up Black Jack and there is a very small spot on his bone. It could be due to soft tissue damage, it could be due to cancer.. at this point just sit and wait. (and pray real real hard).

He did good on the car ride home and laid down most of the way. Major went CRAZY when we got home and they both sniffed each other through the fence and Major was dancing in circles and clicking his teef like crazy. He was so happy to see his brudder.

I moved their food bowls downstairs to the living room and blocked off the entrance to the stairs. (I also locked up all of their toys just to make sure he's not tempted) They've both been really good and just laying down and sleeping. I've let him out to go to the bathroom a couple of times and stayed real close by to make sure he didn't run on it. He didn't even attempt to, just taking his time and going slow.

He hasn't eaten anything yet so haven't started him on the Rymadill, (he's still sleeping) if he doesn't show any interest in food in the next hour or so, I'll make him some white rice and see if he'll eat that then give him the medicine. (50 mg twice a day)

So just trying to keep my mindset in the "wait and see" approach and prepare for the worst but hope for the best and see what happens. I'll keep ya'll updated. Thanks for the prayers.

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

Guest hannahmom

Sending prayers :hope and :cookies and hugs :bighug

You distribute them where they are the most needed - there are lots of refills

Thinking good thoughts for you and Black Jack, BJ. For what it's worth, OSA most often occurs on the distal femur when it's in the hind limb (just to give you a little hope, here). Sending lots of hugs for all of you.

BTW, get that x-ray to Couto, if at all possible. Remember: Loca was misdiagnosed.

:hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest guinness_the_greyt

BJ :grouphug

BlackJack is in my prayers! I'm a firm believer in positive thinking! I know its hard not to be scared and let your mind go right to the negative.... Remember that our dogs sense our emotions... Try to keep your head up! We are all here for you! :grouphug

Sending lots of love for you and Major too!

And as Guinness would say.... He will bee BEE-NINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!