Eight Belles

Hubcitypam

Guest KennelMom
I haven't been able to watch a horse race since Barbaro; couldn't even listen to his jockey relate the story on the radio this morning. I'm so glad I wasn't watching. Run free poor girl.

I don't know if Barbaro's owners watch the Derby, but I can only imagine how their hearts sank when they saw/heard the news of another tragedy at Churchill Downs. I held my breath through the entire race and thanked God that everyone ran safely as they all crossed the wire. :cry1 How in the world does a horse break two legs *after* the race?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Snowy8

I read about it on Bloodhorse.com

I couldn't believe it. They said she broke both ankles & the injury was too painful to try to mend.

Guest argolola

How terribly sad...I am crying for this precious girl. Trish, Millicent and our other angels will tend to her.

Edited by argolola

how awful. :cry1 i absolutely cannot watch a horse race for fear that one will be injured, just like she was.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I moved this here as a place to express condolences.

Anything else is inappropriate.

Please respect the loss.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest greyhound_mommy
:( How sad, I taped the race because I was out today, just saw the caption on the news. :( How sad another great horse lost...........

Guest Keelyoue
How terribly sad...I am crying for this precious girl. Trish, Millicent and our other angels will tend to her.

Thank you for saying that. When she went down I cried like she was my own. Now, I feel much better knowing that our two angels are there to pat her and say "Good job sweetie. Welcome home." :cry1

Guest Jill

I too cried for her. I cried again when I went to feed my TB. He was a relative of hers(Mr. Prospector line). I told him I was glad he never got hurt at the track and that he choose me to be his mom.

Run pain free girlie! You showed those boys that girls can play with big boys!

Guest Machbragal

So tragic. I couldn't watch the race -- I don't watch any horse racing any more, since Barbaro. She was a TRUE champion in every way. Yesterday, Chelokee -- a horse trained by Barbaro's trainer -- suffered a career-ending injury at Churchill Downs. It appears that Chelokee will survive, although there may be complications down the line -- we don't know. It's tough, tough, tough. I can't imagine not seeing this beautiful girl go back to her stall to have her well-earned Derby dinner. I'm praying for you sweet, sweet champion.

Edited by Machbragal

I have been around horses all of my life and I know exactly what happened. Thoroughbred foals, no matter when they are born, are considered yearlings on January 1. So, if a foal is born on December 15, come January 1, hey...they've got themselves a yearling. Some of these babies are training at two years old...they haven't even finished growing at that point. Imagine the pounding those little legs take just in training. I showed hunters for years and we didn't even think about putting a saddle on them until they 3-4 years old and even then, started slowly. I don't watch horse racing...don't even keep up with it; I wouldn't have know about that poor filly if my cousin hadn't called to ask me what happened to her. I then went online to see. Her little baby ankles snapped and there is no recovering from that kind of injury. I know I'm getting on a soap box here, but I have a major problem with this whole horse racing thing. Barbaro's owners had the $$$s to try and keep him standing and for what? Stud fees...he was a proven winner and could have made another fortune for them. Even if Eight Belles had not suffered the type of injuries she did, a mare doesn't bring in the bucks like the boys. Sorry for the tirade but I've been fretting about this since I heard what happened.

Godspeed, sweet Eight Belles....your ankles are fine now and there are no racetracks in heaven...only green pastures and a better life.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest Machbragal
I have been around horses all of my life and I know exactly what happened. Thoroughbred foals, no matter when they are born, are considered yearlings on January 1. So, if a foal is born on December 15, come January 1, hey...they've got themselves a yearling. Some of these babies are training at two years old...they haven't even finished growing at that point. Imagine the pounding those little legs take just in training. I showed hunters for years and we didn't even think about putting a saddle on them until they 3-4 years old and even then, started slowly. I don't watch horse racing...don't even keep up with it; I wouldn't have know about that poor filly if my cousin hadn't called to ask me what happened to her. I then went online to see. Her little baby ankles snapped and there is no recovering from that kind of injury. I know I'm getting on a soap box here, but I have a major problem with this whole horse racing thing. Barbaro's owners had the $$$s to try and keep him standing and for what? Stud fees...he was a proven winner and could have made another fortune for them. Even if Eight Belles had not suffered the type of injuries she did, a mare doesn't bring in the bucks like the boys. Sorry for the tirade but I've been fretting about this since I heard what happened.

Godspeed, sweet Eight Belles....your ankles are fine now and there are no racetracks in heaven...only green pastures and a better life.

I agree 100 percent. These horses are TOO young for this kind of racing, in my opinion.

And this is the REMEMBRANCE forum.

How sad would it be to have to lock this thread?

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

And this is the REMEMBRANCE forum.

How sad would it be to have to lock this thread?

Sorry...I probably went off a little bit. I'm just SO mad.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)