Concerned About My Greyhound After Dental

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thursday morning update... Same as last night. Those back legs still don't want to hold her up for long, but she is getting around on her own (outside to the yard, back inside, then sleep, sleep, sleep).

Edited by Sorcha

Guest paulamariez

Still keeping your sweetie in my prayers for a complete recovery! It really seems to be taking long to recover from that dental! It seems she's taking tiny baby steps in getting better though. Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending her some get well doggie kisses too! Poor little girl.

I just ran home on lunch to check on her, as I have done every day this week since her dental. She is better, but still not 100%. She did prance a little in the yard, she was so happy that it was a nice day outside. She's still a bit unsteady on those back legs, but has improved. I'll know she is back 100% when she can tackle the stairs or hop up on my bed (but I am not going to encourage either, and have kept the stairs to the finished basement blocked off because I don't want her to go tumbling down them).

Thanks for keeping her in your good thoughts.

(darn typos!)

Edited by Sorcha

wow...I sure hope she is at 100% real soon :hope :hope :grouphug

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest onefloppyear

Poor girl. Stories like this make me frightened about taking ours in for a dental. We'll be sure to ask LOTS of questions. Glad that everything seems to be turning out OK.

If you ask your vet (or the receptionist or vet tech) for a copy of her medical file, it will show the anesthesia they used, as well as any complications and/or additional drugs given. You should also be able to see what her temperature was before, during and after. You have every right to see these files.

Onyx had a similar reaction after his last dental but the vet was very open about it and gave me enough information to know what was going on. She said his temperature went up to 105, so they had to put ice water in his IV to bring it back down. She believed the cause was stress, so she gave him a sedative to help calm him down. He was extremly unsteady, nervous, panting and shaking (especially those back legs) when I brought him home but it only took about a day and a half for him to get back to normal.

One of the biggest risks for some greyhounds going under anesthesia is hypothermia. In some cases, it can be genetic and other cases, extreme stress. Because of his age and shy/fearful tendancies, I won't be leaving Onyx alone again at the vet for any length of time, if he ever needs to be anesthesized again. They will either have to let me stay with him until he goes under or bring him in right before the procedure. With my other greyhound, I'll just make sure I know what anesthesia they are using and verify that they monitor his temperature.

I don't know if the same thing happened with your dog but you should be able to tell by looking at her medical file.

Jenn

Edited by jenn8
gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

Guest paulamariez

Keeping your sweet girl in my prayers! I still can't believe she had such a horrible reaction. I hope and pray that she gets back to her old self quickly! Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending her some healing doggie kisses.

...We'll be sure to ask LOTS of questions. ...

I asked a lot of questions to this vet (again, not my regular vet) during the visit several weeks before the actual dental. I had a file of notes and had a list of questions and went over everything with the vet, including about the risk of hypothermia. All t's were crossed and i's dotted. She had full bloodwork done and urine analysis. I signed a form that nothing beyond what I discussed with the vet was to be done unless I was contacted first, including extractions. So they did call during the procedure to say she needed one tooth pulled and that would require 15 minutes extra anesthesia and I gave the okay. I don't know what went wrong, could have been that extra 15 minutes of anesthesia, could have been the tramadol, could have been something else, I just know that I will never subject her to going under anesthesia ever again. She's 12 and has lived a good life and I don't see anything happening to her in her remaining years that would require her going under again.

As an update, tonight she hopped up on the bed. She was alone in the house, I had stepped outside to get the mail and left her lying down on her dog bed. When I came back inside, she was up on the bed. I wasn't too happy with her at first for pulling such a stunt without my help, but then I checked her over and saw she was fine so she's forgiven. I just don't know how she plans to get off the bed, but she better know she's not going at it alone, I will lift her off. I guess it's a good sign, but it's also worrying because I know she's not 100%.