Panting Every Evening

Guest ZipnAda

Guest ZipnAda

I am new to the group, so I hope I'm doing this right.

I have a major concern with my 8 year old girl Ada. She has been panting a lot the past few days, but only at night. She has done it previously in the past couple of months but only periodically. We recently changed our living arrangments to a MUCH smaller place, therefore she doesn't have the yard she's used to. When I take her out now, she has to be on a leash. I take her out constantly and walk her several times a day due to the new living arrangements. She just seems uneasy at night and that's when the panting starts. She seems to sleep okay, she just breaths heavily. In the morning, she seems to be back to normal.

I asked my Vet about it and he said just to make sure we take her out a lot to get excercise, which I thought I was already doing. Am I justified with my concern or is this just normal behavior? I would really appreciate some advice!

Thanks!

Ada's Mom :unsure

First of all, welcome to Greytalk. :wave Usually dogs pant when they're too warm, stressed, in pain or something along those lines. Chances are she's still getting adjusted to the move and the leash walking, especially at night. Let us know how she does. :) We love pics, too. ;)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

First thing that comes to mind is maybe she needs to go pee. Bailey was like this when we first got her. We also lived in an apartment so it was a lot of leash walks. every night around 7:30/8:00 she would start panting. It took us a few days to realize that she had to go pee!

You could also try Rescue Remedy (Bach Flowers) available from health food stores. That might calm her if she is nervous. It's totally natural and works wonders for our boys when they were scared of thunderstorms.

At first I thought this said "Painting Every Evening" and I was going to congratulate you for having a potential fund-raising situation on your hands! A dog that paints! Yay :lol:

Back to regularly scheduled programming: It sounds like either a. a little bit of garden variety anxiety over the new surroundings/circumstances. I would keep your pup on a routine for the next few weeks to help make her feel secure and to help her settle in. or b. the temps have been pretty humid down in our part of the world this past two weeks so she just may be HOT. My dogs are panting a little more than I've seen in the last few months, too.

I lean towards A. Just be patient. If you notice changes in urinary/bowel/stomach problems, she needs to go see the vet.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest krisandzoo
First thing that comes to mind is maybe she needs to go pee. Bailey was like this when we first got her. We also lived in an apartment so it was a lot of leash walks. every night around 7:30/8:00 she would start panting. It took us a few days to realize that she had to go pee!

You could also try Rescue Remedy (Bach Flowers) available from health food stores. That might calm her if she is nervous. It's totally natural and works wonders for our boys when they were scared of thunderstorms.

Bravo pants when he has to pee. I've never seen another dog do this. Maybe more of a grey thing? This will be an easy one to figure out and rule out if it's not the case.

Guest KsFrets

Just a amateur observation in our house. Magnus has thin hair and hardely ever pants in the house. Maggie has much thicker hair, and will pant a lot if the thermostat is set over 70 degrees, especially coming in after a walk...even if it's cold outside. When the temps in the house are in the mid 60's, she doesn't pant hardely at all. Just a few degrees makes a big difference. Is your new place warmer?

Oh yeah, welcome from Kansas! :gh_bow

does she have the same kind of sleeping arrangement as she did in the other place? is she in the same room as you? how long have you been at the new place? it just sounds like nervousness to me. I would try getting her a nightlite and see if that helps...she could wake up and just feel like she's in a strange place. if she can see that everything is the same, she may settle right back down.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest ZipnAda
does she have the same kind of sleeping arrangement as she did in the other place? is she in the same room as you? how long have you been at the new place? it just sounds like nervousness to me. I would try getting her a nightlite and see if that helps...she could wake up and just feel like she's in a strange place. if she can see that everything is the same, she may settle right back down.

WOW....you guys are greyt! I can't believe I got so many responses to my concern!

The "warm" thing did come to mind. It is a little warmer internally where we live now and it's not as easy to maintain a certain temperature (different kind of thermastat). But the only thing about that is you would think it would be warmer inside during the day that at night when Ada does the panting.

The sleeping arrangements are pretty much the same and she is still in the same room. We've been here a couple of months now. I do have a night light where she sleeps and I can see her from my bed. I've always had that, so when I hear the dogs (Ada and her "sister" the Chihuahua) get up in the night I can see them!

I'll keep you posted if there are any new changes. I'll continue to keep a close eye on her. Oh, and thanks for the welcome!Grey people really are special people! :colgate

ok, well, if it's a bit too warm for her, you might try and oscillating fan...not one that blows on her constantly all night, but one that moves back and forth. my girl seems to be wired hot, too and she gets hot easily...she loves having a fan in the bedroom!

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Winterwish

So true about a fan being very soothing,the light breeze of it,even the easy white noise on the low setting.

If Ada's panting includes a grunt type sound,then it may be very important to investigate further,cardiac-wise,or if there's a source of pain.

(any panting tho',especially when comfort measures don't seem to help,could be a symptom of something medical going on-just want to mention that)

Edited by Winterwish