To Vomit Or Not To Vomit

Guest jhev1

Guest jhev1

Hello everyone,

Spartacus just ate part of my wife's flip flop AGAIN! This is the third and final time (no more flip flops to chew, he ate them all!!). All three times the pieces have been about 4-5 inches or so long and about 1/2 inch wide. He likes the strap that goes over the foot. The first time (black pair) he threw up 2 small pieces 2 nights later, never saw the rest. Took him for xrays, eating and pooping was normal so I was told not to worry about it. That was in November.

The second time (gray pair), he threw up 2 small pieces the next morning and a large piece two nights later. He did poop twice in the house, very soft, the day he threw up the large piece. This was the first time he has had an accident in over a year. This was also just a few days ago. With a new dog in the house, I don't want any accidents and give him any ideas. Other than the two accidents, eating and pooping was normal.

This time, the third time (pink pair) he just ate about 30 minutes ago. My question to everyone here is should I induce vomiting now, just to get it out of the way since it seems inevitable that it will eventually come out that way. I'd rather be able to get him to vomit outside than inside of course. If so, what do I use, hydrogen peroxide? Does it need to be diluted? How quickly does it work?

Thanks for the help.

John

Because you caught this very quickly, I would induce vomiting. Of course I am not a Vet, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night. But that's what I would do.

Just pour the HP down his throat, no need to dilute it.. It does take a lot more then people realize to make a dog vomit. If you have a syringe, it makes the HP go down a bit easier. Sometimes it will take 10 or 15 minutes, other times they will puke sooner. It took me a lot of HP before I got my dogs to give up their ill-gotten gains when they got into chocolate many years ago.

Once again, only you can make the decision as to what is best for your dog. We can just make suggestions about what we would do.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

It's probably a little late now, but I'll throw in what I know about making a dog vomit. I'm taking a basic veterinary toxicology class, and the ASPCA poison control hotline vets who are running the course suggest no more than 3 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide, and more importantly, make the dog jog around - apparently that hurries things along. The hydrogen peroxide must also not be out of date - if it is, it's pretty much useless.

If vomiting has not occurred within 10-15 minutes, you can try 3 tablespoons again, but DO NOT attempt a third time.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest jhev1

Thanks for the tips. I called 2 emergency vets last night, one said not to make him throw up as it might get stuck in his throat. The other said that I could make him throw up if I really wanted, but suggested bulking and waiting might be a better route, so that is what were are doing.

First thing this morning, he threw up about half of it, nothing in the poop and he has gone several times since. The good news is that the pieces that he did throw up are no more than an inch long, so hopefully they won't pose a problem.

Guest RICHandJUDE

I think you did the right thing by calling the emergency vets. Although they gave you different answers, both actions were probably OK.

I have two greyts and a Dachusand. My greyts are perfect angels and never (at least, very seldom) eat things they shouldn't. My Dachusand is a complete different story. She will eat about anything.

A few months ago she ate a small packet of 'ant poison.' The vet had me induce her to vomit. She weighs a little less than 25 lbs. I gave her two tablespoons (used a plastic syringe) of hydrogen peroxide. I took her outside and she vomited WITHIN 30 seconds. All turned out OK. (If the hydrogen peroxide didn't work the 1st time, I was told to give her two more tablespoons. (just once more) Good Luck.

Guest StriderDog

Strider's been sneaking off and eating plastic muzzle straps with alarming frequency (humans too busy watching the naughty puppy to suspect that big dog is getting into trouble!) and he's always either puked on his own or pooped it out. :dunno: Dog stomachs are remarkably hardy.