Dew Claw Removal Issues

Guest Emma0422

Guest Emma0422

Our foster had one dew claw removed last Thursday, the 13th. The darn thing is still bleeding! We go to the vet every other day for a bandage change and I have to do a bandage change at home too. It's not infected or anything, but it just won't heal up. The vet removed the staples, but left the stitches in, thinking that it might help. It hasn't. I do try to leave it uncovered for a bit each day so that it can hopefully scab over. But, as soon as he walks around, it bleeds again. Plus, he pees on it EVERY single time he goes pee. Currently, I'm wrapping it with antibiotic gel, a gauze pad, cotton wrap/tape, and vet wrap. Any other products you can recommend to get this to heal?

Guest Tigonie

I'm not sure about dew claw removal, but the time my Emma broke a dew claw so it bled, I used corn starch and that helped stop the bleeding. My other thought is that applying pressure should help. You don't want to wrap it too tightly, of course, but making sure there's pressure on the bleeding point might help.

And maybe a wrap of plastic to keep the pee out! :lol (just joking on this, of course!)

Edited by Tigonie

Guest Emma0422

I tried the EMT gel and liquid band aid spray, but it just stuck to the bandage. If I leave the bandage off, he licks it. So, we muzzle him. Then, he knocks the muzzle against it and it bleeds again. The e-collar isn't an option on him either. He totally freaks out! It's a never ending circle, I swear.

I may give the cornstarch a try. I'm just worried because it's technically an open wound I guess because there are stitches. Does anyone know if there'd be a problem with that?

I'm laughing at Holly's suggestion though-I did a search before posting originally and someone suggested using a condom to wrap up a cut paw. I can just see me walking into the vet with a condom wrapped dog! Maybe I'll try some saran wrap to help with the peeing. Seriously, it might work...gotta be better than peeing on the boots we have! Our vet said that Stan must have awesome aim because it must be nearly impossible to aim at the front foot every single time!

My current foster dog came with prescription Furacin Ointment for his owie toenails that fall off from SLO. Our Vet agreed that it's great for helping the healing process.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Any chance he has a clotting issue?

If the vet has seen it, and hasn't applied anything to it (there are much better things than cornstarch to stop bleeding--brand name of Qwik Stop for one), then he's probably not concerned about it. Do you mean oozing a little blood, or bleeding?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Emma0422
Any chance he has a clotting issue?

If the vet has seen it, and hasn't applied anything to it (there are much better things than cornstarch to stop bleeding--brand name of Qwik Stop for one), then he's probably not concerned about it. Do you mean oozing a little blood, or bleeding?

It's bleeding. It's bleeding through several layers of bandage. It has to be changed daily, at least once. Today twice. The vet is a little worried about a clotting issue. He said that there was one "bleeder" during the surgery, but he thought he fixed it. He doesn't understand why it's still bleeding either. There were no issues when he got neutered at another vet that I know of-wouldn't that be documented if they thought he had a clotting issue?

I actually have some Qwik Stop here. I just wonder about using it around stitches.

Thanks for the info about the Furacin. I'll ask about that tomorrow.

I don't know about for dogs, but Glad Wrap's Press 'n Seal is the greatest thing for wrapping a human body part you can't get wet. Currently I'm showering sitting on a shower bench with my hammer-toe-repaired foot still bandaged, with it's "raincoat" of Press 'n Seal over top, and propped up on the edge of the tub.

I got the idea from a knee replacement website when I got my new knee 3 1/2 years ago.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Two 'alternative health' remedies often praised for their ability to promote the healing over of stubborn wounds when applied as dressings are manuka honey, and colloidal silver. I have had no personal experience of either, but it might be worth doing a bit of research and/or running them past your vet?

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.