Remembering Ivey

Guest Hattiemae

Guest Hattiemae

Ivey (Cee Carol)

Birthday: May 1, 1991

Gotcha Day: August 19, 2000

Bridge Day: March 14, 2003

When I went to get Ivey, I was given two dogs (both retired brood moms) to choose from: Ivey, and a very outgoing brindle. Ivey’s black coat was dull, she was very thin, and she hung back with her head down. I knew I had to adopt her because she wouldn’t appeal to anyone else, while the friendly, pretty brindle would be snapped up quickly. Hattie, my other grey who had been with me for 6 years, was also reserved, so I thought I knew exactly what I was getting with Ivey. Boy, was I wrong! Once she settled in and started to blossom, she showed an exuberant personality, and became a one-person dog. I was fortunate enough to be that person.

Ivey was my velcro girl, though she wasn’t typically one to be underfoot. I do remember those first few months, however, she’d lie in the middle of the kitchen floor while I was fixing dinner. I still remember carefully stepping over her while I cooked. She soon decided that a dog bed in the doorway was much more comfortable.

She loved me to the exclusion of others. :wub: When DH would come home from work, if Ivey bothered to get up at all, she turned around and went back to bed once she realized it wasn’t me. When we saw people on our walks or at Petsmart, she would resign herself to being petted by them, but she never sought attention from anyone else.

She was content to be in the same room with me, or watching my every move from a window if I were out in the unfenced front yard. She always had to know where I was. She greeted me with a wagging tail when I came home, and taught Hattie to do the same thing.

Ivey loved to play and was thrilled with every toy I brought her. :gh_bow She seldom destroyed them outright, but eventually they’d show signs of wear or become silent. When I mended tears or replaced squeakers, she stood over me the whole time, waiting impatiently for me to give it back to her, often trying to take it from me before I was finished.

She loved to run and bark at the squirrels in our back yard. I remember many mornings opening the back door to let her out and seeing her just fly off the stoop, already barking at the squirrels who dared to run across the wires over the back of our yard. Then she'd run the lenghth of the fence and back, barking the whole time. The neighbors may not have appreciated it, but I loved hearing her full, rich bark. :)

Ivey loved to pick up nasty dead things to eat while we were on our walks. She and I engaged in several episodes of tug-of-war over various carcasses. Often I was left with pieces while she ended up with most of her coveted snack. :sick

When my nephew started walking, he liked to walk behind Ivey and push on her thighs as if she were a big push-toy. She was patient with him doing that, especially since he was really following her instead of choosing her direction.

The first Halloween I had Ivey I decided to eat in the living room so I could see the front door. I had a soft drink in one hand and my plate in the other. Before I could set the glass down, Ivey was in front of me checking out my hot dog and tater tots. She put her nose on each and every tater tot on the plate before choosing the one she wanted. The whole time I was saying “NO!”, but was laughing too hard to sound very stern. (As if sternness would have made any difference! :P ) Once Ivey found the one she wanted, she grabbed it and took it to her bed to eat. She didn’t bother me any more.

One night Ivey was eating her dinner enthusiastically. Since we’d had several days of storms, she’s been a little off her normal eating habits. I remarked to DH that she was eating well now that it wasn’t storming. Ivey stopped eating, looked up at the window, then resumed her dinner. DH and I looked at each other in amazement. :wow

Ivey always loved to eat dirt. :rolleyes: One spring day I was doing some planting in containers and had an open bag of potting soil on the back patio. Ivey kept wandering up and inspecting the bag. As soon as she’d put her head in it, I’d tell her to “Get out of there!” She’d scamper off, wagging her tail. She thought I’d put a handy snack bar just for her. :lol

In January 2003, I noticed that Ivey’s abdomen was swollen. After x-rays and lots of bloodwork, the problem was determined to be with her heart. Between my regular vet and a cardiologist, we discovered that a valve was malfunctioning and was untreatable. Ivey had been uncomfortable for a few weeks as we tried different medicines, all to no avail. Her appetite had waned and she’d lost lots of weight. When it became apparent that nothing was helping, I knew it time to offer that final, painful gift of love. :cry1 We spent a quiet last day together and I told her often how much I loved her and how glad I was she’d been with me for these 2 ½ years. When the time came at the vet’s office, I was at Ivey's head stroking her, and she went quietly. :weep

We buried her in my mom's woods, in a spot near both the cabin and the lake. I planted some white tulip bulbs on her grave to bloom in the spring, and a friend from Texas sent me some fall-blooming lilies to put there as well.

Ivey brought much joy to my life, and through my love for her and other greyhounds, I've been led to a wonderful group of friends here. My love for her and Hattie has also led me into the special world of fostering, and I've been privileged to share my home with many wonderful dogs. Ivey's legacy will live on in the future dogs who will move into my heart and my home. While I'll love other dogs, no other will ever have that spot in my heart which has Ivey's name engraved on it. :heart

Now she's enjoying the company of the Bridge kids of my many friends, and will no doubt be watching the antics of the next greys who come through my doors. I picture her now running like the wind, :gh_run2 barking at the squirrels in the trees, and eating heavenly dirt :P to her heart's content. :angelwings

Thank you for sharing your lovely story with us. She had the same spark Millie had. We sent Mil to the Bridge 7 months ago, and I'm grateful that I'm past enough pain that I can have a good laugh at her adventures, though I still can't throw out her dog food yet.

Ivey was a very special girl, and it sounds as though she had a very special mom, too.

So sorry for your loss.

:f_pink

I am so sorry for your loss. I know she will always be with you but I also know how missed she is going to be. Thoughts and Prayers from our family to yours.

:f_pink:f_whitef_yellow:f_red:f_white

pharaoh.jpg

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'> LE 62663

</span></span>

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'> RE 126E

</span></span>

Guest SkinnyLegDogLover

Those memories are so beautiful. I thought I would cry reading that, but it actually made me smile, sadly, remembering my own Bridge Kids and how much they had in common with Ivey. I hope they're all together now, running and playing at the Bridge. :gh_run Thanks for posting.

:f_white Thanks for sharing Ivey's story. (I should've never read this at work :weep ) Stacey, I'm so sorry for your loss. Edited by Bluegrass Grey

Kathryn, “Broadway” BW’s Broadway: Shaggy Bessie x Jimbo Red Rose, & "Ellie" Noah's Smelldog: Castor Troy x Mulberry Jade. My Angels "Sidney" Rainier Rapper: Rainier Ranger x Rainier Rapport (09/03/2001-2/26/2012); "Pistol" Tiowa Pistol: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-8/02/2011); “Perry" Tiowa Perry: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-6/09/2010); "Jackie" Mjp's Jackie: Joey Flint x Social Robin (6/12/1997-6/20/2008)

:cry1 Thank you for sharing that BEAUTIFUL tribute to your sweet Ivey! She was one lucky pup! :)

:bighug

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

Guest lisaluvsgreys

Stacey, I am so sorry for your loss. I really enjoyed hearing Ivey's tale. Thank you for sharing. My heart goes out to you at this time. She sounded like such a love bug! I was very touched at how close the two of you were. God Bless you and Ivey.

Thank you for sharing those beautiful memories. You and Ivy were so lucky to have found each other, and to have shared three wonderful years together. I'm so sorry that you have lost her, she must be waiting expectantly for you.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

What a lovely tribute to your special girl. :wub: Ivey will live forever in your heart, and bring laughter to those that hear your stories of her antics. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Ivey will always remain close...she's right there with every heart beat. Such a heartwarming story...I am so sorry for your loss. Run free beautiful one. :f_pink:f_white

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Beautiful Stacey. :)

I remember when you posted pictures of Ivey, shortly after she came to you, dull coated and skinny. As the weeks went by and you posted more pictures, we saw how your love and care transformed her into a, sleek, black beauty.

I'm so sorry she's gone. I'm glad she had you. :)

paula_sig.gif

~One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all ~

Ivey was loved. :f_red

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

What a beautiful tribute you have written for Ivey. I am so sorry she had to leave you, but I know she is running carefree at the Bridge with all who have gone before her. I hope my grey angels Maggie, Casey & Charlie were right there waiting for her. Rest in peace sweet Ivey, you are in very good company. :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

What a lovely sweet story.

I'm sorry you miss her but glad for you that she is still with you in spirit.

Thank you for sharing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest judechet

Stacey, you know my thoughts and prayers are with you. Ivey was so blessed to have had your loving companionship and you are so blessed in return. May your wonderful memories of Ivey help fill that hole in your heart.