New To Greytalk

Guest dolfan

Guest Javagirl

Hi from New York! We just adopted as well and the process is long, exhausting but ultimately the best life-changing decision you could make. My only 2 cents is to not go in with any preconceived notions/preferences about which dog you (think you) want. Obviously cat safety is non-negotiable. The adoption groups are incredibly good at matching your lifestyle/home environment with a dog. We thought we wanted a small female (like most people) and ended up with a giant gregarious boy but he's perfect and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Welcome and come back soon with pictures!

Kristyn and Ladd

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She really is a Beauty! If we were ever able to get a second GH, I think I'd like to get a black one. Hope all works out!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest md7nd

My wife and I live in a condo, and even though we had Nina for a little over a month now, I'd love to get another, but we talked and we'll see about being a foster this summer and go from there. And yes, we're looking into getting a house!

(odd, I couldnt see the pics till now, but yep, shes a beauty)

Guest dolfan
Hi Bob,

We wish you and your wife lots of love and joy with welcoming a greyhound into your home. We recently lost our third grey, and actually started to consider another breed for our next pet, but that didn't last long at all. Once you become a greyhound owner, you'll be hooked, too. But we'll let you figure out WHY for yourselves....

Wishing the best of health and a long retirement for your new baby!

Best,

Tracy

I'm so sorry for the loss of the 3 greys....I am someone who gets very easily attached to an animal so not looking foward to any of my pets passing, my 2 cats are 14, I had 1 cat live to be 22...but a loss of an animal is pretty hard to take just the same...they basically become a family member, hard to understand for those people not really into the pets thing.. As for figuring the attraction out for ourselfs...Thanks..LOL The wife has 2 books coming for me to read..1 is "Greys for dummies" and the other is "The Other End of the Leash" :P

Bob

Welcome from Maryland! And from another " Grey Dad". Dont worry about her leg. Nina has the same thing and has the bolt in it. At first, she wasnt that good with stairs, but with a cat that stays upstairs, Nina is now a pro!

Good luck and best wishes!

Matt

We did wonder and ask about her leg, the Rep says she has healed up nicely I guess, so we will see, hoping Beauty is maybe the one we bring home...Thanks for the comment..

Bob

Guest dolfan
Hi from New York! We just adopted as well and the process is long, exhausting but ultimately the best life-changing decision you could make. My only 2 cents is to not go in with any preconceived notions/preferences about which dog you (think you) want. Obviously cat safety is non-negotiable. The adoption groups are incredibly good at matching your lifestyle/home environment with a dog. We thought we wanted a small female (like most people) and ended up with a giant gregarious boy but he's perfect and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Welcome and come back soon with pictures!

Kristyn and Ladd

Hi Back at ya...and yes we were told not to go picking out a Grey and falling in love with it, because basically they need to find the right Grey for our situation, so we are just waiting to see which Grey that might be, Buster was the first they thought might be a fit, but he went down swinging...I guess he had showed some tendencys towards the fosters cats that they thought moight not be good in our situation...so Beauty is now the Grey on deck so to speak,,,, and I hate to say it, but the wife is now going alittle stir crazy, she has always wanted a Grey, and now that its this close to happening, and a Black one in the mix....she is loosing her mind(just Kidding).....I am glad you got a Grey that fits you, maybe not the one you might have picked, but ending up being the right one for you..

Bob

Guest dolfan
My wife and I live in a condo, and even though we had Nina for a little over a month now, I'd love to get another, but we talked and we'll see about being a foster this summer and go from there. And yes, we're looking into getting a house!

Thank you for the reply and ya know I don't even or we don't even have the 1st one yet, and I was having silly thoughts of if our house were bigger, I may try 2...Oh my did I say(type) that out loud........ :eek

Bob

Thank you for the reply and ya know I don't even or we don't even have the 1st one yet, and I was having silly thoughts of if our house were bigger, I may try 2...Oh my did I say(type) that out loud........ :eek

Bob

Guest md7nd

LOL, hey, i just found out my wife has been "looking" so who knows, we might get a 2nd after all! :crazy

And really, I've been told that theres a person that has about 1800-1900 Sq foot and has like 6 greys! :jaw

Guest joedogs_mom
LOL, hey, i just found out my wife has been "looking" so who knows, we might get a 2nd after all! :crazy

And really, I've been told that theres a person that has about 1800-1900 Sq foot and has like 6 greys! :jaw

hee hee -- we have 4 greys, 1 cat, 1 toddler, and the two of us in a 1300 square foot house...TOTALLY do-able!

Guest dolfan

Ok we went to the little news thing with the greys about adopting a Grey lastnight, was only like 5 dogs there that the owners brought with them, but the local Rep was there and he asked after we were done there if we wanted to do the home visit afterward...we said yes ofcourse, so I think that went well, He did bring 1 of his Greys and we did the meet and greet for the 2 dogs outside our house and that went well, well our lab was WAY excited, drooling and all..lol :P But we then took them in the house and other than our dog being excited and pretty curious I think that went pretty well also, I think we may wanna pay close attention for awhile cause our Grey is a daddy's boy and he hates anything close to me IE, ctas and other dogs, he just bulldozes his way between whatever and me to get there first..lol But I almost think he will enjoy the new companion...Anyhow the Loacal Rep said he would let the President know what he thought and how things went and MAYBE if Beauty is still who the President has in mind, Maybe we could pick her up this weekend, so we will know in the next couple days if Beauty is the Grey coming to be with us...... Here are a couple pics of the Greys at the news thingy we went to...

Bob

P3260680copy.jpg

P3260675copy.jpg

Guest dolfan

Now thats a house FULL of Grey.......................... :rolleyes: Good luck on maybe getting a 2nd Grey..

Bob

Guest StagnBob

Hi Bob,

We live over the pond, Nottinghamshire, in a lil cottage. We have 4 terriers and 4 greys. Anything is possible. I don't know why it is, but greyhounds are so addictive, I don't think many homes can stop at just one!!

Good luck with your adventures, hope you get a beautiful pup soon.

Regards

Lisa

Guest dolfan

Ok, have not got the call yet, BUT I have an e-mail from the President of the Keystonegrey's that says we are oked to adopt Beauty!!!!!!!!! She is priority mailing the adoption info to the foster folks and then we need to set up a time to go pick her up....she's in Berwick pa...so not to bad a trip for us...waiting for the call from the Local Rep to confirm ...

Bob

Ps, The wife is SO happy....but finds herself wondering if its for real :colgate

Hi Bob,

We live over the pond, Nottinghamshire, in a lil cottage. We have 4 terriers and 4 greys. Anything is possible. I don't know why it is, but greyhounds are so addictive, I don't think many homes can stop at just one!!

Good luck with your adventures, hope you get a beautiful pup soon.

Regards

Lisa

Hey there from this side of the pond.....We keep hearing the not being able to have just one thing... :unsure

Bob

Edited by dolfan

Guest dolfan

Ok just waiting on the adoption papers to reach the foster home, then we arrange to go and pick up Beauty...so it may be this weekend if we can count on the mail system...lol

Bob

Hooray! So happy for you, your wife, and of course, Beauty!!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest dolfan
Hooray! So happy for you, your wife, and of course, Beauty!!

My wife was so happy when she got word of getting Beauty, she was crying............ She had a nice talk on the phone with the foster mom of Beauty, and it sounds like she is just a great all around pup...she almost adoptrf her herself, but said if she did she thought she then would have to stop fostering greys as she thought she would then have to many to foster anymore, so lucky for us, WE become Beauty's forever home...we make the trip to Berwick Pa sat to bring Beuty home, have to meet by 5pm for the transfer...

Picture in the next couple days to follow....

Bob

Welcome and here's to a long and soon houseful of greys.. :lol

Gonna start SLOW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1 at a time and GOG from there.... :unsure

Bob

Guest dolfan
His name is Wicked Date. He had 2 brothers that were adopted, but per the website, he's still there.

But Buster is handsome, too! :)

I just found out about the Wicked brothers, the 2 brothers that have already been adopted have been adopted by the same person....thru Keystonegreys, now talking to the local rep near me lastnight, the same person/people are going to be adopting WickedDate to be joining his brothers in april...or so thats what I have been told, and have actually recieved an e-mail from the people that will be adopting Wicked to join his brothers, so kinda a very nice forever home coming up for your local Melbourne boys....... Wanted to share when I was told of the adoptions of the Wicked Brothers.... :yay

Bob

Guest dolfan
His name is Wicked Date. He had 2 brothers that were adopted, but per the website, he's still there.

But Buster is handsome, too! :)

I just found out about the Wicked brothers, the 2 brothers that have already been adopted have been adopted by the same person....thru Keystonegreys, now talking to the local rep near me lastnight, the same person/people are going to be adopting WickedDate to be joining his brothers in april...or so thats what I have been told, and have actually recieved an e-mail from the people that will be adopting Wicked to join his brothers, so kinda a very nice forever home coming up for your local Melbourne boys....... Wanted to share when I was told of the adoptions of the Wicked Brothers.... :yay

Bob

According to the e-mail, I don't know because I have never seen the brothers on the Keystonegreys website(being you knew Wickeddate thought you would know or not), but according to the e-mail about the brothers I have, this is a picture of the 2 Wicked pups they have and they will be adpoting the 3rd brother to make it one big happy family...just wanted to update SkinnyLegDogLover on the news..

DSC00446copy.jpg

Bob

Edited by dolfan

Guest dolfan
We expect many :digicam once she's home! :D

I have the camera all charged up and ready to go, I really need to capture on film(digital) my wifes excitement when we pick Beauty up...That will be PRICELESS!!!!!! as they say... B)

Bob

Edited by dolfan

Guest SkinnyLegDogLover

Thanks for the update, Bob! That's happy news to know the 3 boys will be together. They sure don't look "wicked" in that pic, do they?

And congrats on Beauty! You must be so excited! Just remember....patience, patience, patience! And pictures :lol

Guest dolfan
Thanks for the update, Bob! That's happy news to know the 3 boys will be together. They sure don't look "wicked" in that pic, do they?

And congrats on Beauty! You must be so excited! Just remember....patience, patience, patience! And pictures :lol

We are pretty excited, can't wait to make the drive to pick her up.........will post some photos when we take some of her in her new home...

Yes it is nice that the brothers are going to be all together its nice that someone is able to do that(3 dogs) From what I hear the adopters are wonderful people also, so they ended up in a very good family....Happy endings for the 3 Wicked Brothers :clap