Pimobendan ?

Guest Shannon

Guest Shannon

Hi,

I have a 12 year greyhound that has congestive heart failure. My cardiologist just put her on Pimobendan last week. Does anyone have any experience with this drug? I am worried sick about using it but I dont see what choice I have other than this- since I have to trust the cardiologist. He put her on 5mg in the am and 5mg in the pm to see how she would adjust to it. He had me do an EKG and bloodwork after one week. Now he wants to up the dose to 5mg in the am and 10 in the pm. I am about ready to have a nervous breakdown over this. She is also on Benazapril 5mg in the am and 10 in the pm and furosemide and we just added aldactone once a day.; oh my what a list this is. It seems like she has been sleeping a lot since she has been on the pimobendan. Which of course concerned me. The cardiologist told me just to keep watching her. Originally he told me a bad sign was if there was a change such as lethargic, vomiting etc...so you can see why I am concerned. Has anyone had any of these experiences? Sorry to go on and on but I just am so worried about this.

Guest JudiK

My Kixie was on it - I feel that it extended her life by about six months. And those were good months, she ran and played... Pimobenden is a miracle drug that has been used in the UK for a long time... only a couple years in the US. Kixie never had any reactions that I noticed... keep us posted.

Edited by JudiK

My Stitchy was on it and it did extend her life as well. Be sure to be giving some Pepcid AC 10mg once a day I think, check with vet, while she is on all those different drugs as they can cause nausea.

I am so sorry you are going through this. I know how you feel and my heart and prayers go out to you and your baby.

Jackie

Guest greyvettech

We recently got a newer drug in at work..it is called Vetmedin not sure that it is the same drug? Generic name? Sounds like it could be possible...It comes in 1 and 5mg..If so, this combined with Salix has helped many patients of ours with CHF.. it has prolonged lives for atleast six months..and they were happy months from what we gathered...

According to my bottle, Vetmedin and pimobendan are the same thing. Sugar has been on it for about 6 months, one and a half 5mg tablets, twice a day. It does seem to be helping, and I didn't notice any side effects. Her cardiologist did warn me that it can cause sudden heart failure, but I thought it was worth the risk, and if it happened, that would be a better way to go than a slow death. Just my choice for my dog.

Guest Shannon

Thank you so much for your replies. It is good to know that there has been some real positive results with this drug. My cardiologist also warned that there was a chance of a sudden death from the drug. That of course sent me into panic mode. She has been on it for almost 2 weeks and now they are increasing the dose because it seems like she is tolerating it. But once again, now I am worried of course. yes I believe that Pimobendan and Vetemedian are both the same drug because my bottle says that also. Good I am glad that there have been these positive comments. I mean really I have no other option but to do this at this point anyways. She just turned 13 last week so I consider myself very lucky that I have had her this long. It is just hard to watch but I guess isnt it always? Thanks everyone. If anyone else has any experience with it your comments are appreciated!

Guest LynnM

It tends to be very effective and safe. We've considered it for old Isaac (he had 3 weeks to live a year and a half ago), but he's done so well on Lasix and enalapril (old school but effective) that we've had no reason to switch.

There is no real reason to worry about adverse effects from this drug... if for some reason it doesn't give good results (very unlikely), there are MANY other effective drugs from which to choose.

Lynn

Guest Shannon

Well thank you Lynn. I am really hoping it works. I have to increase the dose tonight and I am dreading it. He wants me to double the evening dose. It just makes me concerned just how much meds a 65 lb dog can tolerate. She is on so many already. Thank you, your post is encouraging!

Guest LynnM

There is always a chance of sudden death.... you're dealing with a weakened heart, regardless of what meds the dog is on... but... congestive heart failure doesn't tend to work that way. It's more of a gradual thing that creeps up.

Fortunately, dogs don't tend to experience many of the other cardiovascular issues that humans have (narrowing/hardening of the arteries, coronary artery blockage, cholesterol issues.... any that they do have are easily controlled by diet, etc).

One more edit... regardless of her meds, if she's on Lasix (furosemide), keep an eye on her appetite/nausea/etc. Lasix tends to cause the dog to lose more potassium than a normal dog, and a cycle of "feels like crap so doesn't eat so loses potassium so feels worse", etc can happen quickly. The worse the dog feels, the harder it is to get her back to normal. If your dog likes bananas, it's a great, cheap treat that is one of the best things for her.

Lynn

Edited by LynnM