We're Back... Was: Ok, She Hasn't Been Seen By Ortho Yet But..

Thanks folks. His argument re the glucosamine was that the human glucosamine was useless for dogs (I do understand that possibility) and that it really didn't do much good without chondroitin (I also understand that).

Tina is sending me a sample of get up and go (I think it's called?) so I think that with the salmon proplan, plus the 10 days of meticam, we should be much better soon.

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

Is it the Prescriptives J/D? They switched Shanti to that. She had horrible food allergies to it. She is now on Pro Plan Sensative Stomach (Salmon).

Yes, I think that's the one.

Sugar takes Dasuquin, http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products/anima...uquin/index.asp, made for dogs. It's more expensive than Claudia's Get Up and Go, but works better for Sugar. You can get it from online vet-med places for much cheaper than the vet! (used to be only available through the vet)

I'll keep this in mind. I've never bought anything from an online vet-med place. Where would I go to find the best ones?

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

Guest mysymba

Thank goodness.....still hoping and praying she will be okay for you Mare.....what a special girl she is!!!

I cannot understand the food thing either.....the salmon is great for her? I am not a fan of the vet foods...just because they have the word vet on them....doesn't mean they are good food.....maybe if she does like salmon...try Solid Gold Barking at the Moon...I think they have those things in it and it is grain free and holistic.....

Anyway, I am glad it is good news!

Thanks folks. His argument re the glucosamine was that the human glucosamine was useless for dogs (I do understand that possibility) and that it really didn't do much good without chondroitin (I also understand that).

I'm not sure I understand it - this is a supplement, not a pharmaceutical ... what I do understand is that many OTC supplements are ineffective because there's no compulsory regulation as to ingredients, quality or quantity. Buying generic glucosamine from a supermarket may not work as well as getting it in the form of something like Cosequin, which is what I use.

I do believe it's not so much good without chondroitin, and many nutritionists believe it's even better with other things added like Vitamin C, and/or manganese, and/or Vitamin E. Some add boron into the mix, but that's more for the bone than the cartilage I think.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Tina is sending me a sample of get up and go (I think it's called?) so I think that with the salmon proplan, plus the 10 days of meticam, we should be much better soon.

Yes! That's it, that's what it's called from the Greyhound Gang

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Dasequin is still pretty new, and not carried by a lot of online places. The two I've used don't carry it yet, but I just Google it and then look for the best price :) Since I am buying a name brand, I only have to worry if the seller is reliable. Nearly everyone carries Cosequin DS, made by the same people. I've used HealthyPets.com for that.

I'm not sure I understand it - this is a supplement, not a pharmaceutical ... what I do understand is that many OTC supplements are ineffective because there's no compulsory regulation as to ingredients, quality or quantity. Buying generic glucosamine from a supermarket may not work as well as getting it in the form of something like Cosequin, which is what I use.

I do believe it's not so much good without chondroitin, and many nutritionists believe it's even better with other things added like Vitamin C, and/or manganese, and/or Vitamin E. Some add boron into the mix, but that's more for the bone than the cartilage I think.

Ditto.

Also, I don't know that I've seen a food with even half enough glucosimine and chondroitin. I have fed both Wellness and Canidae and neither even came close to having enough of either. I stick with the suppliment and feed the food I think does best for the boys. :)

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest budsmom

I just saw the Dasequin at my vets - they are really impressed with it. They said you give a loading dose for ~ a month, and then down to a regular dose. It has a website, maybe if you Google it, it will come up. I'm doing some research on it right now for my kids as a preventive measure.

Ditto.

Also, I don't know that I've seen a food with even half enough glucosimine and chondroitin. I have fed both Wellness and Canidae and neither even came close to having enough of either. I stick with the suppliment and feed the food I think does best for the boys. :)

Exactly what I would do.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest GreyFox

I'm so glad Dee is o-k and that no surgery is required. I've been checking back here often and keeping my fingers crossed (ahhh, it's so good to uncross them ... so much easier to type ...!).

I agree with many people here - if you've finally found a food she tolerates, keep her on that and supplement with glucosamine and chondroitin.

Now Dee - you do like the doc said and stay quiet. Snuggle up with your collection of shoes (it's right shoes, yes?) and that oh-so cuddly flip-flop!