Panacur

Guest HersheysMom

Guest HersheysMom

Sorry if this has been asked but I did a search and couldn't really find what I was looking for.

I have read that with mysterious weight loss some of you choose to treat with Panacur even when you have a fecal run and it comes up negative. I have a few questions about this. Sorry if they seem silly but this is new to me.

1. Will it harm the dog to treat with Panacur if the dog does not in fact have any worms?

2. Is "Panacur" the same thing as "Panacur C"

3. I've heard it can cause stomach upset. Is this true?

4. Is there someplace I can get it that is not online (Petco, Petsmart, etc.) If I must buy it online, where is a good place that won't take forever to ship it?

Thanks!!

Guest IrskasMom

I dont have any advice except that I have the same Question and also if you need to see a Vet in order to get it???

Guest HersheysMom

IrskasMom I'm pretty sure it is now over the counter. I don't know if all the pet supply stores carry though, or which ones...

Guest greycious_gal

The panacur you receive from your vet is dosed appropriately for your dog. OTC panacur may not be dosed in the same way, as I understand it is readily purchased, but is targeting larger animals and not small like dogs. You wouldn't want to overdose with any wormer.

I'm not aware of wormer being a problem if a dog doesn't have worms. Some people will worm regularly because of visiting dog parks and such, even without a fecal test. It's preventative in their mind, I suppose.

I've never had it cause upset stomach, but I offer it with food and never on an empty stomach.

I am not aware of panacur vs. panacur C. Sorry.

Guest laceyj

1. From all the research I've done online and also from talking to my vet, there doesn't seem to be any side affects of Panacur. The reason some of us may be quick to treat even though the fecal may come back negative is that a negative finding is inconclusive for worms. There can be numerous causes for weight loss. Worms is one yes, you kind of rule out the most common first. But it does help to know which worm to treat, different drugs work better for certain worms. For instance Panacur works quite well for hook, whip and nasal worms. However, the dosage for hook and whip is traditionally 3 days in a row, 3 weeks apart, 3 treatments. Nasal worm treatment is 5 days in a row instead of 3. Tapeworm is a different drug entirely. Etc.

2. I can't answer this one, but am sure someone with more experience will chime in.

3. I have used it on my 5 and 15 or so fosters with good results and no stomach upset. Others may have different experiences.

4. To the best of my knowledge you need a prescription for Panacur and can purchase online or through your vet. I do know that Panacur is also used regularly for horses and you may not need a script for that. It may be a different concentration than what is used for dogs, I don't know that for sure though.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

I've always need a scrip for panacur granules. However, the vet can dose it out in 3 baggies for you. SPrinkle on the food and your good to go.

My guys have gotten a tad loose, but never blow out. With weight loss and no other symptoms, sometimes worming does the trick.

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

Guest mandm

1. Will it harm the dog to treat with Panacur if the dog does not in fact have any worms?

I don't think it would be very healthy to worm a worm-free dog. But I don't think it causes any major harm. Seems to me that the listed side-effects are pretty mild.

2. Is "Panacur" the same thing as "Panacur C"

Don't know.

3. I've heard it can cause stomach upset. Is this true?

When I presumptively wormed my greyhound, it actually caused stomach relief. But that's because (I assume, never got a positive fecal) he had worms. I'm guessing that if a dog's stomach were sensitive and upset due to reasons other than worms, then yes, Panacur would probably upset it more.

4. Is there someplace I can get it that is not online (Petco, Petsmart, etc.) If I must buy it online, where is a good place that won't take forever to ship it?

I get it from the vet, and that's where I would recommend you get it if you are not familiar with it's use. If you have a lot of dogs, or are going to do routine preventative worming, then you can buy it by the tub. If you have only one or two dogs, then packets from your vet are probably the way to go.

I wormed presumptively after very many clear fecals. And what my vet & I assumed were Whipworm, since they cause the kind of upset that my greyhound was experiencing and they are often missed on standard fecals. Whipworm gets a different dosing than other worms -- 3 rounds, although I ended up doing 4. The standard is 3 days per round. But the vet school in my state recommends 7 days for recently retired racing greyhounds. Adoption programs in my area usually go 5 days. I did the full 7 days. I timed it initial, 3 weeks later, then 2 1/2 months after the initial round. I followed up with a fourth round 2 months after the 3rd. I also put my greyhound on year round Interceptor, despite very cold winters in my area, because I figured there were probably Whip eggs in our environment.

]

Guest mandm

My greyhound had frequent diarrhea and it was very difficult to keep weight on him. Besides regular fecals, always clear, he got many other diagnostic tests. One of the things that showed up was SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth). SIBO causes diarrhea, upset stomach, and poor nutrient absorption -- the dog has to eat much more than normal to maintain weight. So the SIBO diagnosis explained my greyhound's diarrhea and weight loss. So I treated the SIBO but it didn't really fix him up right because he also had worms, which was a much easier problem to fix.

So cross your fingers & hope that worming works, but if it doesn't, then maybe have the dog tested for SIBO.

Guest CBDTherapyDogs

1. no, it shouldn't harm your hound to give it when they don't have worms no more than giving Interceptor when the dog doesn't have heartworms, rounds, hooks, or whips. A negative fecal doesn't exactly mean that the dog doesn't have worms. It just means that on that certain fecal loop, no worms were picked up. There could have been worm eggs just 1/16th of an inch further up that it didn't get. I give my hounds a three day dose every now and then just to make sure there are none in there. Also, even though some Panacur dewormers say they kill tapeworms, please don't be fooled. It kills the species of tapeworms that are in undercooked foods, **NOT** the tapeworms that are gotten by eating a flea!! The ONLY dewormer that kills those species is Droncid (prazinquatel).

2. Yes, Panacur and Panacur C are the same. Both are fenbendazole. In the same family is Synanthic, which is oxfenbendazole, which does a better job at killing whipworms than just fenbendazole does.

3. Some canines have gotten an upset stomach or loose stool. Some it irritates the stomach, some its because they're passing the worms.

4. You can order it from various online stores, but if you don't have the correct dosage, it would be best to get it from your vet.

Guest mandm

A negative fecal doesn't exactly mean that the dog doesn't have worms. It just means that on that certain fecal loop, no worms were picked up.

My vet's off ice doesn't even use the terms "clear" or "negative." They report NPF - No Parasites Found.