Missing Hair On Tail

Guest lotsagreys4me

Guest lotsagreys4me

I am sorry if this has been asked before but I am kinda new so I haven't seen any related posts. What is it when the greyhounds are missing hair on their tails. I have two greys with about a 3 inches bald strip on the top of their tails about 6 inches from the base. I have tried putting various things on it but nothing works to make it grow back. It is not inflamed or infected just missing the hair. I have noticed that some of the greyhounds in the pictures posted here have the same hair loss. Anyone know what I can do?

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

I understand that there is a scent gland located in that area and I don't know if they lick or bite the area or but my grey has had that bald spot for two years and I am noticing that it seems to be filling in this past winter. Will be interested to see what happens this spring - if ithew bald area comes back or not.

Try a search on "stud tail" here on GT. Or even "bald spot on tail." I lack the savvy to post the exact links but I think a lot of us have asked this question!

Bottom line: Nothing serious, just a gland, and a lot of greys have it.

Take care.

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Yep, "stud tail." Normal. Our whippet has it, too.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

IIRC : I believe it is called the precaudal gland. It a scentless (to us) gland (possibly releases pheromones) that the wolves (and dogs) rub against trees to leave their mark.