Removing Growth Without Anaesthesia

Max has had a bump on his butt for a few months now. He does periodically get these, they are like little blood blisters that pop up very quickly, burst with a bit of blood and disappear. This one appeared, popped and then came back. The vet isn't worried about it but I don't like it (it hasn't changed in size or anything, I just would rather it not be there). However, I also do not like putting Max under more than necessary. He has dental on April 3 with a animal dental surgeon and he doesn't do these sorts of things, so I know he won't remove this bump. I'm taking Max to his vet in advance for a complete pre-surgical work up, senior panel, etc, etc (he'll be 10 April 24th).

Has anyone ever had a procedure like this done with just freezing and maybe a bit of a sedative? It's about the size of the head of a pencil eraser, so it shouldn't be too involved. He had stitches on the top of his head on another occassion with just a bit of freezing - he just stood there, so I think he'd stay fairly calm, especially if he was given some doggie valium or such. Any opinions?? Thanks, GTers!

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Guest mandm

My 5 yr old greyhound recently had what the vet thought was a histiocytoma on the tip of his ear. I asked the vet about removing it. The vet said that normally, it would be no problem, that she could remove it right then & there. However, because my dog's growth was on the ear, that it would bleed a lot and therefore require stiches. And stiches require sedation. So I opted to wait out the growth and it went away on its own in about 3 months.

So, it sounds like Max's bump is not in a location that would require stiches. My vet used the term "vascular" which I think means lot of blood vessles. So I'm guessing it can just be removed with minimal anesthetic. My greyhound's bump was really ugly (looked like a wart, my children would not pet him) and would bleed when he bumped it and make a mess. But I'm glad I waited it out.

Batman had some small growths removed with just local anaesthesia. No big deal at all. The once, tho, his whole leg fell asleep so he had to be confined and watched till that wore off. At least one of those needed a couple stitches, IIRC the others just a staple or two.

Rocco the whippet had a golf-ball-sized lump taken off his neck without putting him under. They used a local and then either Valium or butorphanol to slow him down so he *was* drunk for awhile but not as bad as full anaesthesia. It was a fairly deep lump and needed quite a number of stitches to close.

Especially if it's not huge or in a delicate spot and dog isn't a total fruitcake at the vet, no reason to do the general anaesthesia thing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Carrier had a biopsy done on a mole like growth with local anesthetic and he was just fine.

Funny you post this though, because Andy has the exact same bump on his rump and he has had it for some time now. Goes away and then comes back.

Yes, that is exactly what it has done, a couple of times now I believe. Hmmm, I wonder if I should have a biopsy done first? Or if I should just get it done with...Max does not enjoy the vet, so the fewer number of times we have to go there the better~

I am opting to ignore the "bloody" thing - no pun intended. Andy also HATES the vet. He had one of these things a few years back and it completely cleared up.

Actually, the vet is coming to our house tomorrow to do a heart check on Carrier. I will ask him to look at Andy's rump and will let you know what he says... maybe it will save you going to the vet all together. ;)

Atlas gets these types of things all the time. He has one on his leg that has been there for ages, hasn't changed in size or shape. My vet and I monitor it but he feels there's no reason to remove it at this point.

If it's not bothering him, I wouldn't mess with it.. but that's just me.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Our vet came over yesterday to check on Carrier and I asked him to have a look at Andy's bloody thingy on his rump. He said that it was nothing to be concerned about. Basically he said, "it's like a wart that fills up with bloody guck. There would be no reason to remove it from a medical standpoint. it would be more of a cosmetic thing... like if it was on the dogs face and really large or if it was on his butt and kept popping and leaving blood everywhere." Andy has had these in the past and they have gone away on their own. The vet did pick it off yesterday but as of this morning it's back again.

Our vet came over yesterday to check on Carrier and I asked him to have a look at Andy's bloody thingy on his rump. He said that it was nothing to be concerned about. Basically he said, "it's like a wart that fills up with bloody guck. There would be no reason to remove it from a medical standpoint. it would be more of a cosmetic thing... like if it was on the dogs face and really large or if it was on his butt and kept popping and leaving blood everywhere." Andy has had these in the past and they have gone away on their own. The vet did pick it off yesterday but as of this morning it's back again.

Yes, that is exactly what is like - a bloody wart!! Hmmm, well I guess I'll have the vet take a close look at again. Maybe see if it warrants a biopsy and go from there...

Thanks much for the info, Eva...and I'm glad to hear that Carrier is overall doing well!!

Stella had one for the last two weeks, of course the night before her vet appt she scratches it completely off.

Vet took a look at the bald patch where it used to be and said not to worry about it, no big deal. She has also had one on the side of her face that she scratched off (apparently my girl is a fan of do it yourself cosmetic procedures) and it came back, twice.

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd give a quick follow up on this. Max was to the vet on Monday (pre-dental blood work) and I had the vet take a look at it. She gave it a squeeze and blood came out, as is the usual for these things. We decided that, due to the area it is in (on his butt, almost on the inner curve of his thigh), it doesn't get bumped or bothered, so there isn't anything to knock it off. Which makes sense - my clutzy boy is for ever running into things, so he whacks all the other ones off in short order! So, nothing to worry about there, I can focus on obessing over the test results (that haven't come back yet!) :P

Thanks for your feedback everyone!

Bailey has had two bumps removed and stitched with local anesthetic. For Mr. Murphy we wouldn't even try though as he is a drama queen.

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!