96 members have voted

1. 1. If Greytalk offered it's own member Auctions

• I would use it only as a buyer
    • I would use it only as a seller
    • I would use it as a buyer / seller
    • I would not use it.

Guest coastersbysteve

Good, some questions...

Would these auctions apply only to greyhound specific goods?

Or could we sell other "stuff" (within reason, of course), like handmade or homemade goods?

Would the user be able to choose a time length?

Payments would be made how?

Thank you,

-Steve

Questions and comments welcome, this is a new idea, so help me field it :)

Guest ShelbyzMom

I'm getting tired of ebay and all of it's nonsense :rolleyes:

I would use it as both a buyer and a seller. Have you given any thoughts to listing fees and all of that? Would we be able to accept paypal payments just like ebay? Would there be a template for setting up our auctions for those of us html challenged :lol

Q: Would these auctions apply only to greyhound specific goods?

A: Yes, No, Maybe... Not totally sure yet. I was thinking about that already.

Q: Or could we sell other "stuff" (within reason, of course), like handmade or homemade goods?

A: As above

Q: Would the user be able to choose a time length?

A: Yes

Q: Payments would be made how?

A: directly to the seller via things such as paypal, nochex, worldpay, authorize.net, check, money order, etc

Greytalk would not play the middle man, transactions would be between buyer/seller, with Greytalk just providing the hosting.

Q: Have you given any thoughts to listing fees and all of that?

A: Not really. Fees bug me, but we would need to recoup the software and customization costs. Ideally supporters would get free listings. I've even thought of a vendors membergroup, for other privileges.

Maybe something like 25 cents for inexpensive stuff.

Q: Would we be able to accept paypal payments just like ebay?

Q: Would there be a template for setting up our auctions for those of us html challenged

large.greyhound_signature.gif

I don't mind the ebay listing fee, what bugs me is the increase in cost of the listing fee based on how much I list it for. I get this is how they make their money and that's what ebay is there for.

But I think a small fee for listing (same fee regardless of price listed at) to go to GT to help cover the cost of the software seems fair.

Ebay bugs me because if you want to add color it costs you

if you want to make something bold it costs you

if you want to add an image rte-image-button.png it costs you.

It should be easy.... Flat reasonable fee, all inclusive. Maybe small fee based on 0.01 - 4.99 and 5.00 - 14.99, etc

revisit...

Q: Or could we sell other "stuff" (within reason, of course), like handmade or homemade goods?

A: Yes, most likely... within reason for the Greytalk Audience, and as always that sole discretion lies with the Greytalk Staff.

I don't think we will have a problem with that.

I would certainly use it as a buyer. Also as a seller if I had items that might appeal to this audience.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Awesome idea!! Sounds like more $$ for the hounds on charity auctions. Interested in hearing more details. :)

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

8-14-hound-siggy.jpg?gl=US

Living a GREYT life at the Hound Hacienda - Clarkdale, Arizona

Always missing our angel hounds; Parker, Lacey, Bella, Figgy, Macho, Aspen, Kingman and Tillie

no real details to discuss yet, I started thinking about it last week, when Trudy had all that 'stuff' to get rid of. Her silent PM auction worked well, but there had to be a better way, and something that others could take advantage of as well.

Just thinking out loud here, I was thinking of personal auctions, and then vendor/charity auctions.

Personal meaning, you have something personal that you owned, and now you don't want it, so rather then throw it away, auction it off

Vendor/charity meaning you are doing something to raise money, and then using a service like Greytalk to advertise and sell that item, should mean a higher fee to Greytalk. I would still expect that fee to be relatively small though.

Ebay bugs me because they keep changing the goal posts and no matter how you try to fit in with their rules, if you do something slightly out of the ordinary, they automatically assume that you are trying to fiddle them for fees (when in fact you are not).

I'd be interested as a vendor and as a buyer :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Peanut

Would people that were not on greytalk be able to bid on the items? I'm thinking in terms of a benefit auction which we TRY to run every quarter. Would other folks that support us but are not on greytalk be able to come bid? We've used a software that another group uses in the past but it became challenging to coordinate with them to get it up because it was really hosted on their site not ours. So, we are back to ebay. Fees on there are my only struggle. The other pieces we can deal with... But the fees are for every little thing like you already pointed out.

I am one of the few who would not use it in any capacity. I have never purchased anything from e-bay in my life and actually never go there except to manage the sales end of our listing at work. I am not a huge fan of auctions.

Good luck with it if you decide to do it. Sounds like other peeps would use it and enjoy it.

I would use it - both as a buyer and maybe once in awhile, a seller. It would be great to use to 'recycle' gently used hound coats, collars ...etc that do not fit our dogs, or we just have extras of.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

I would use it - both as a buyer and maybe once in awhile, a seller. It would be great to use to 'recycle' gently used hound coats, collars ...etc that do not fit our dogs, or we just have extras of.

I agree...

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Would people that were not on greytalk be able to bid on the items? I'm thinking in terms of a benefit auction which we TRY to run every quarter. Would other folks that support us but are not on greytalk be able to come bid?

That would be the best thing, yes, to allow anyone to come bid. The trade off is security, anyone coming by can register, win the autcion, and leave never to be seen or pay for the item.

It would also mean that I would not integrate the auction user database with the forum user database. That saves money for custom integration scripting, but means manually creating seller accounts.

Seller accounts will be for Greytalk Members only, but ideally anyone will be able to bid on an item, after registering for the auction. There has to be some sort of registration process (just like ebay, yahoo, etc) but if we go that route, the registration will be separate from the forum.

Another helpful is to have name or comment (in case they don't want to be known) of high bidder visible so you don't have to guess or remember which items you bid on and are still in the lead for.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, please clarify it for me...Sellers can choose to hide the ID of the bidders on their auction. It is a seller option, not a bidder option.

Guest Sportingfields

Off hand I'd have to say no wouldn't use it but would like to keep my options open, until you figure out the details. When I first started sewing, Ebay was the best way to get out my product out, since I didn't have a website. Haven't sold on there in several years, am reading horror stories, probably wouldn't list there now. Auction software costs XX amount to purchase & then run the system and have no problem with reasonable fees, so am interested in how you would handle:

listing/final value fees (could there be a flat fee, no matter the starting or ending price?)

deadbeat bidders

deadbeat sellers, this includes adoption groups that don't send out merchandise

feedback/review system for both sellers & bidders ( am not in favor of public slamming of either party but if there is a real issue, feel it should be made public, ie slow to pay, slow to ship, merchandise mis-represented ect. )

auctions/raffles will they be open to bidding by general public or only registered GT members?

in the event of a problem between winning bidder & seller, will the GT staff act as moderators? if this ends with a huge negative for either party, will this person be banned from the auctions?

we try not to moderate things like that, but we do follow through to ensure people meet their obligations, think Secret Santa/Bunny/Valentine, etc.

Auctions are not something I see us moderating unless we are alerted to a problem.

If we honestly feel our system was abused, then yes, I would imagine they would be restricted from future auctions.

Flat fees are an option, as are many other options. If we go forward with this, we'd set it up with no fees for a trial run, then decide how to best implement a way for it to pay for itself.

At this time, I don't foresee fees for options. Everyone should be able to make it look good, images, etc, that should all be included.

I was hoping to see at least 100 interested people, but 50 is a start, maybe more will join in once they see it running.

We started playing with software last night. Hopefully by the end of the weekend, I'll be asking for a few volunteer supporters to try listing a few items.

If you are a supporter, and interested in selling and helping test the system, please PM me.

Guest winli02

I would use it as a buyer. As odd as this sounds, I would probably be more apt to use it as a seller if it WAS only GT ppl. For some weird reason, I am more apprehensive about selling to unknown ppl than I am buying from them. Makes no sense, I know (should be the other way around). Point, is I would use it!