Harrison

Guest Winterwish

Sending prayers for Harrison's full recovery. :hope:hope

I wish I had actual suggestions and testimonial,the only thing I can defintiely say when I saw this is there was definitely a dog,a young boxer mix,in our walking group who definitly had spinal meningitis.

He did recover,tho' he seemed a bit fragile in terms of weight gain afterwards,but as far as I know,he's still doing well.

They don't live the immediate area anymore,but I'll try to find someone who might have their number to call them.

I wish I could be more help. He was extremely ill,they were very scared,but he did recover.

Checking in and sending more prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest larock
I don't know if the cause is the same thing but Hobbes had weakness in his legs last summer before having some sort of neurological event. He ended up not being able to stand, his back feet knuckled under and looked very, very bad. A mild stroke was suspected. Our vet started treating him with a potent steroid shot and found is eased the neurological inflammation. He has since been on a dose of 30-35 mg. of Prednisone daily and although he still has some weakness in his legs, he can stand and walk and go outside to bathroom on his own. He will be 14 in four weeks.

It can be a mystery as to what is happening but I wish you success in finding the answers. If there is a veterinary neurologist near you that might help with the solution. Please keep us informed on how Harrison is doing and hugs to you both. :grouphug

Did they refer to Dr. James or Dr. Cochrane (Neurologists) at the VEC? My greyhound Ward was seeing Dr James for over two years for a simular problem, possible GME. He was on predisnone for life and was being successfully treated with Chremo. A spinal tap will be the only way to really confirm what is going on. Please PM or email me directly if you want more information lynn.roick@thecarlu.com

Did they refer to Dr. James or Dr. Cochrane (Neurologists) at the VEC? My greyhound Ward was seeing Dr James for over two years for a simular problem, possible GME. He was on predisnone for life and was being successfully treated with Chremo. A spinal tap will be the only way to really confirm what is going on. Please PM or email me directly if you want more information lynn.roick@thecarlu.com

Thank you for the information, I will pass it on to Colleen.

No word yet on how Harrison fared overnight, but I should be hearing soon.

On behalf of Colleen and Harrison, thank you so much for the prayers. GT prayers have helped my household through illness more than once, so I know how well they work!

Harrison did have a spinal tap, so they know what he has, they just don't know if it's viral or bacterial.

Edited by kjw

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Poor Harrison! :sad1 Sending healing thoughts his way... let's hope they get to the bottom of this. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I keep checking in and my fingers are crossed for Harrison. Please let Colleen know that we are all praying and hoping that the medication will help control the inflammation and infection. Hugs to both Harrison and Colleen.

:grouphug :grouphug :goodluck :goodluck

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest larock
Wed. March 5, 12:45pm

I just got an update on Harrison, he is still in the land of the living, and a little bit better than yesterday, but it's still touch and go. The titers are not back yet so they still don't know what has caused the inflammation in his spine. Apparently the clinic staff are starting to fall for this fellow, he's very sweet and was trying to sit up but is of course very wobbley still. He is on pred and several anti-b's, as well as something to keep him calm.

Thanks to those of you sending detailed info in your PM's regarding meds etc. I am passing it all on to Colleen. Hopefully, the right med will smack this inflammation down.

While I don't know what Harrison has it really does sound exactly like what we went thru with Ward. He developed a baterial/viral (but not contagious) version of spinal menengitus (sp?), the vet called it GME but this was never confirmed. It is not known why some dogs develop this, and in some cases it goes away while others do not and must be controled with daily prednisone and/or chemo.

Ward had several eposides simular to what Harrison seems to be going thru nearly dying two times. He would look as though he was on the brink of death, would lose his eyesight, mobility, coordination, could not control his bodily functions and seemed to have severe neck pain. Each time he was brought back by prednisone, and the change was miraculous. Sadly, after the second episode he never regained the eyesight in one eye but that didn't seem slow him down much.

Threre were many times throughout his illness when I could tell he needed to have his pred increased, he would start to stumble or limp and then would sit for hours on his bed in a daze not knowing what was going on. But he always bounced back and overall, he lived a wonderful and happy three years before passing to the bridge after a fall at the age of 11.5.

If you friend needs any support let me know.

We received the following email from Colleen this morning:

Hi everyone

Harrison is getting better, he is getting up on his own and moving around. They are still doing blood work. The doctor is still very cautious, however things are improving. thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers. I may be able to bring him home tomorrow, I will keep you updated.

Colleen

Not a lot of detail, but good news to be sure. I still don't know if they've diagnosed this GME, and I'm reluctant to call Colleen at this point, as I know she is having a pretty hairy time of it what with Harrison and work. Hopefully there'll be time on the weekend to get some more details. I have emailed her all the information I've received from some of you having similar experience, both from posting here and from your pms, so she has all of that information. Thank you for taking the time to share your wisdom!

Looks like we can be cautiously optimistic at this point, I will continue to update as I receive information.

Thank you again for all the prayers and good thoughts, they are working!

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

I found some pictures of Harrison from one of our SSG playdates last summer, not exactly closeups, but you can see what a big beautiful boy he is. He's the white and fawn in the white muzzle, seen here I believe with my Romi in the red muzzle, and I think the other black is Licorice.

harrison2.jpg

harrison1.jpg

CAMP GREYHOUND

Oh, he's beautiful! I am glad to hear that Harrison seems to be getting better. Let's hope it's permanent. I am continuing to keep him in my thoughts and hoping for a full recovery. :goodluck :goodluck :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Sending more prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

:hope:hope:hope:hope:candle Sending Prayers and white light! I am so sorry I have no ideal.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter