Cannon Has...

Guest cannonsmom

I'm so sorry to hear about Cannon. If it hasn't spread visibly to his lungs, amputation is an option. For one thing, it instantaneously relieves him of the pain, secondly you might be buying a reasonable amount of time for him if you combine it with chemotherapy. After going through this with Snickers, who was only five at the time, and having lost her to what must have been a blood clot just a few short months after the amputation I have mixed feelings but when I made my decision to go for the amputation and chemo it seemed like the best route. It's really up to you, but some people have had dogs live years after amputation and chemo. Osteosarcoma is a very aggressive cancer, but there are some rare cases where it is not as aggressive. I urge you to contact Dr. Cuoto and ask him questions. He is wonderful and very realistic. To be honest, having lost Snickers just a few months after we went through the amputation and three chemo treatments really was devastating, but we might have had an unusual situation.

Sorry if this sounds very amibivilent, but I think I am feeling a little ambivilient about the whole topic because of what happened with us. Join Circle of Grey -- there are a lot of sympathetic and experienced voices on there.

In any event, I'm so sorry you are facing an osteo diagnosis. :grouphug

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG Tania! I'm so sorry. I wish I knew what to say or tell you. All good advice here. Please contact Dr. Couto and see what he has to say. I know you and Ted will do the best thing for Cannon.

Our thoughts are with you. We love you.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

Oh Tania, I'm so sorry to hear this. Marian and I are not far away. Kisses and hugs to you and Cannon and oh yes, that sweet baby of yours. Will PM you.

Leslie

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

lots of prayers for Cannon and for you. I am so sorry. I have been down this road and it is devastating. Prayers for strength and wisdom. Remember Cannon lives in the moment and just wants you to love him. It is the hardest for us.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Probably in his lungs? Your vet needs to actually x-ray his chest or maybe you should even get a 2nd opinion. I think it takes quite awhile for it to go to the lungs. Odysseus limped for over 2 months before we finally got a dx. His lungs were perfectly clear at that time so we opted for an amputation and chemo. He lived another year before it ever went to his lungs. It was probably the best year of his life!! He didn't seem to mind that he only had 3 legs. It did not seem to affect his quality of life at all. He was 7 at the time of dx and 8 when he passed. We all benefited from that year - learned to enjoy every moment and live life to the fullest each day!!

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I had 2 diagnosed with Osteo. in 2006. I second the recommendation for bone cancer in dogs website. The median life expectancy statistics are:

- 2 months with neither amputation or chemo

- 5 months with amputation alone

- 12-14 months with amputation and chemo

Generally, if lung mets are found on a chest x-ray they do not recommend amputation and chemo. Osteo. is quite aggressive.

My Morgan was diagnosed in 1/06 at age 10.5 when his front leg broke going down the stairs. We amputated and he had 4 rounds of Carboplatin. We're just past 2 years and he's still with us and doing well.

My Alex was diagnosed in 11/06 at age 8. It was his back leg. We amputated and started a chemo protocol that was alternating Carboplatin and Adriamycin. After his 3rd chemo, we found he had lung mets. We had to euthanize him a few weeks later.

As you can see, I've had both ends of the spectrum for outcome. I don't know what I would do the next time. I would strongly met with an oncologist to find out your options. Non-oncology vets just don't seem to be knowledgeable about the treatments.

If you decide not to amputate, you will need to manage his meds to relieve the pain. Bone cancer is very painful. A combination of meds seems to work best.

I'm so sorry :grouphug:grouphug :grouphug

Give him a big hug and kiss from me!!!!

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

I second getting another opinion. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

I'm not sure of the distance, but I loved Dylan's Oncologist in Dearfield Beach. She was definately worth the drive.

Animal Cancer Care Clinic

Dr. Stephanie Correa

954-421-5099

She has a Miami office also!!

305-652-0448

20290 NW 2nd Ave. (441)

Miami, Fl 33169

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I'm so sorry you've gotten this saddest diagnosis. I feel that this has got to be the worst time. You don't know what to do, and there are so many possibilities and questions. You're sad and angry and scared. You may not know much about osteo now, but there is a lot you can learn. You've gotten some good advice, which I would second. HeatherDemps is just a few months ahead of you in this journey, and though all of our experiences are different, so much is the same. Find out everything you can---Circle of Grey is an excellent source of info and support. And Dr. Couto is a saint. You just need to decide what is best for Cannon. Eight is not that old. Is he strong enough to deal with the surgery and recovery and life on 3 legs if you choose to amputate? You know him best. My Winnie was 8 when she was diagnosed too, and we knew she was strong enough to deal with amputation. And we knew she wanted to be here---she wouldn't have given up, and so we didn't feel that we could either. We didn't do the chemo, but did start her on artemisinin right away. Please research this---Dr. Couto is doing studies on it, and there has been a lot of success. There was a good article about it in the Celebrating Greyhounds cancer issue a few years ago. Winnie was on it for over 3 years. Yes, she was with us for 3 1/2 years---good, quality years--- after the amputation. I believe that she beat the monster osteo. We lost her to kidney failure just before her 12th birthday. Of course, I realize that we were probably amazingly lucky, and every dog and owner is different. But you just do what you can, and hope for the best. Sometimes it's enough, and sometimes everything we do just doesn't bring us a lot of precious time. But look into your heart, and make a decsion that is right for Cannon and for you, and then don't second guess. There is no right or wrong decision, only what is best for your sweet boy. First, I hope you do have a chest X-ray done. I'm surprised that your vet said "probably in the lungs". Well, there could be lung mets, and his lungs could be clear, and that would make a big difference in your decision. I think an oncologist would be able to give you much more insight.

I hope you return here when you can. It really helps to know that so many others know what you're going through, and understand.

Sending prayers and white light to you and Cannon for strength and healing.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest TBSFlame

I am so glad we took Beecher to the oncologist. They are up to date on all the options available. If you can I do urge you to seek out an oncologist for a consult. Beecher's OS is on his ribs and the surgery is more difficult. Beecher is almost 12 and we are using pain management. He is doing well. He just pasted the 3 months mark and we are still able to manage his pain. You know your pup best and know what is right for him. Please do join Circle of Greys.

I'm so sorry to hear this news :(:grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Hugs and prayers for you and your baby.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

We know how shocking this diagnosis can be as we lost our Angel Vinnie way too young - he was diagnosed at 11 months and we did an amputation and chemo but we lost the battle and let him go at 14 months! Dr. Cuoto is wonderful and even if he is traveling he will answer his emails. We went into his study so we got one of our chemos through Dr. Cuoto's program. And no matter what your vet says - get a second opinion - especially when there were no xrays or other tests done besides just the paw. You can't say he will be gone in a month if you are only basing it off the paw!

And no matter what decisions you make, spend each day making memories that will help you through whatever rough spots come up, love him, snuggle, play and just enjoy him. Our heart goes out to you and we will keep you in our prayers. Feel free to pm us if you would like to - we found it helpful to talk to those that had gone through this awful disease and they are the ones that gave us the strength to make the decisions we needed to with Vinnie. :bighug

Guest cannonsmom

Well everyone, I emailed Dr Couto and went into the bone cancer dogs website. I learned a lot that I did not know about OS.This week will be crucial as I wait to hear back from Dr C. and then go from there.

thank you again to everyone, from the well wishers to the people who offered advice. It was helpful and so much appreciated.

I love my boy, hopefully I will have him for longer than the month or 2 the vet gave him.

I will keep everyone on here updated.

til then,

tania & Cannon

I am so sorry your boy has had this diagnosis, osteo is probably the most hated word for any of us. We lost one of our greys, Charlie to osteo at age 6. You are doing the right things, asking questions and learning about what you are facing, and the options. You know your boy, and you will know what is the best thing to do for Cannon. Once you have made the decision don't second guess yourself, any decision you make will be made with love, and will be the right decision for Cannon.

Sending prayers for Cannon. :hope:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest DaffyToons

I haven't had a chance to read through all the posts, but when my Dynamo was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, I got a lot of information regarding pain control. OS is a very painful disease, and heavy-duty pain meds are required. My vet, who has a greyhound herself, recommended Tramadol as well as an antiinflammatory, such as Deramaxx. I would not normally recommend Deramaxx, but because the disease is terminal, :weep Cannon's comfort is the only thing that matters. That is, if that is the route you have decided to take. You could also use Metacam.

Dynamo was 11-1/2 when he was diagnosed, but he was a very old 11-1/2. He was very weak in the hind legs and would splay out on slippery surfaces if he wasn't careful. His tumor was also just above the wrist bone. Amputation was not an option for him. :sad :cry

My heart breaks for you and sweet Cannon. Too many of us have gone down the same awful road as you. Shower Cannon with confidence and love. Keep him comfortable, and spoil him rotten. They deserve only the best we can give them. Please keep us posted.

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LisaLuvsGreys

Oh Tania! I am so sorry!!! My prayers are with Cannon. He is such a precious boy! Big Hugs!!!! If you need anyone please feel free to email me at lisaluvsgreys@aol.com Stay Strong! Give Cannon a hug from me!

• 4 weeks later...

Tania,

So sorry I missed this :grouphug I will keep him in my prayers! I hope you hubby and baby are doing well... Email me if you need anything or just a shoulder to cry,vent or whatever on Kimz1113@aol.com

Kim

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle