Cannon Has...

Guest cannonsmom

Guest cannonsmom

about a week and 1/2 ago, we noticed that Cannon started to limp. He is a big spook and clumsy to boot so we thought....we'd keep an eye on it and if it didnt get better off to the vet.

I had always known that Cannon was a sickly dog. I always told myself, as unfortunate as it may be, if any of my greys get it, it will probably be him.

my worst fears were realized today at our 10am vet appt.

without even xraying, the dr told us "it doesnt look good" he had seen this twice already this week in a doberman and a german shephard.

he xrayed cannon, and explained in a few short sentences that cannon had osteo, he thought he would live another month or so.

WHAT ON EARTH DO I DO? other than cry and ask WHY HIM.

i have had a dozen dogs in my life, old age and kidney failure took them all. I have never had a dog that had cancer.

what do i do? the vet said that osteo is the most aggressive kind of cancer and that its probably in his lungs already and he didnt want to put him thru chemo.

i am sure this topic has surfaced here a zillion times, or at least close to that in the 7 years ive owned greys.

please help. my husband and i dont know what to do at this point. we are lost.

cannon is so young. we cannot believe this is happening to him.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so terribly sorry for the diagnosis. This is so sad. I can only offer hugs to you and Canon.

I do hate cancer.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Oh I am so sorry to hear about the osteo.....

:grouphug

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

I am so sorry. Sending prayers and gentle hugs. :grouphug I know how hard this is and it seems cancer is taking so many of our babes.

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Mom2Gr8dawgs
:grouphug I'm so sorry. I've lost 2 Greyhound to osteosarcoma. I didn't choose to amputate and do chemo with either of my dogs, but those options are available to you. I'd recommend that you join the Circle of Grey Yahoo group. There are many people there who are dealing with or have dealt with osteo and can give you lots of advice. http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/CircleofGrey/ You and Cannon are in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm sorry to hear this.

You say the vet said it was probably in his lungs. Did he X-ray the chest?

Please consult with Dr Guillermo Couto of OSU - the premier oncologist in greyhound circles and an absolutely wonderful man. This is the generic e-mail address for the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program at OSU - anyone answering that e-mail will be able to help you: greyosu@osu.edu I believe Dr Couto's e-mail is couto1@osu.edu, but he sometimes travels and doesn't see his e-mails right away.

Please also take a look at this article - linky.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

OMG. :( I'm so sorry for your news. :grouphug I found the Circle of Grey to be an excellent source of information and support for OS. Explore your options, make sure you've got good pain meds for your boy, and make your decision about his care sooner than later. My heart goes out to you. :cry1 Sending loads of prayers and light to your precious Cannon. :hope:candle

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest HeatherDemps

I would get a second opinion asap and get chest x-rays done. Is there an oncologist near you? When there is osteo, they assume the dog already has lung mets, even if they don't show up on the x-rays but I was told that it isn't typical for it to show up when first diagnosed when the dog first starts limping. How old is Cannon? Which leg is it in?

My grey started limping right before Christmas and it was osteo. We had his leg amputated 4 weeks ago- he will be 12 next month and is doing chemo also. He is doing great.

As someone else already mentioned, Dr. Coutu at Ohio State University is great for consulting with. Circle of Grey is also incredibly helpful. It is terrible when you get this diagnosis, but don't give up hope yet. Vets all have different opinions- our regular vet told us she wouldn't recommend amputating a front leg on a dog Dempsey's age, another vet at the clinic said, why not, and the oncologists at U of I we spoke with told us they don't consider age a disease and dogs, especially greyhounds, do well with only 3 legs.

As you are trying to decide what to do from here, make sure your vet has given you good pain meds. We had good luck with Rimadyl and Tramadol, but I know there are other options in addition to these. No matter what you decide, you know your dog best and what he can best handle. Ask lots of questions. There is a lot of information out there- OSU's website is a good place to start.

Hang in there- I will say a prayer for you and Cannon.

I am so sorry. I just lost my Magic to Osteo. She started limping and the X-ray looked suspicious. I knew in my heart it was cancer. I decided against amputation. Her leg broke last week. The break wasn't near the cancerous spot on the X-ray, but the biopsy came back as osteosarcoma. I couldn't let her suffer and let her go that night. It is so heartbreaking. I hate cancer.

My prayers are with you and Cannon.

Lynn

Missing Pepper,Magic,Kahlua, Hobbit Ziggy Jasper and Bella

I'm so sorry about your precious boy. I have promised myself that when one of my hounds gets osteo, I will not let him or her suffer. It's the final, best gift you can give a dog you love. :grouphug

I'm so sorry. :(

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest cannonsmom

Thank you first to all of you who sent your good wishes. he needs them right now. we are being strong for him.

Cannon will be 8 next month. The lump is on his right leg right above his paw.

Today they prescribed him Previcox 227mg (14 tablets) 2 weeks worth only :(

Guest DundeeToddsMom

I'm so sorry to hear about Cannon. I too would suggest seeing an onocologist. My Buster was 7 when diagnoised. We had chest x-rays and it had not made it there so we choose to amputate. It was his front leg. Then we did chemo. He did very well and we had more quality time with him.

Good luck in whatever road you choose - Cannon and family will be in my prayers.

PS - My Todd is a tripod - it's his rear leg that had a different type of cancer and he is doing greyt. It's amazing how they can funcation on 3 legs.

Edited by DundeeToddsMom

I'm so sorry. :cry1 :cry1 No advice to give... just sending hugs :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

So sorry about this sad news. If you don't feel comfortable with the diagnosis and prognosis, you might try getting a second opinion or at least a chest x-ray. If the news is bad, just try to live each moment and enjoy the time you have left. We lost two beloved hounds in four months to cancer and spending each moment with each one as if it was the most special time got us through it all. Best wishes from us to you and know that we are hoping for the best.

I'm sorry you're facing such miserable news. Hugs and gentle scritchies to your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest HeatherDemps

I had also forgotten to mention that we were told if we did not want to amputate that radiation could be helpful in managing the pain of osteo.

This website was pretty helpful for me early on when I was trying to find information and make decisions- it talks about the different options, questions to ask oncologists, etc.

http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/

I remember it was so hard to even think straight when we first found out and I needed something that just broke everything down for me.

Please keep us posted on how you and Cannon are doing....

:grouphug