? About 3 Yr And 1 Yr Rabies Vaccines

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

This is a question purely out of curiousity. When they changed the law from requiring Rabies vaccine every three years instead of every year, did something actually change in the vaccine, or did they simply realize it wasnt necessary to give that vaccine every single year?

Guest HeatherDemps

I think the vaccine is slightly different, at least here. I switched to the three year one quite some time ago and remember my vet telling me that there wasn't much more in that one vs. the three year one.

Guest greyaspet

The same amout of serum is in the three year and in the one year. There is no difference in the shot itself it is the laws that require a one year or a three year. I really hope the study that is going on to prove that it is only necessary to vaccinate every 7 years takes effect. We are over vaccinating our dogs.

Sheila

Guest tcornwel

My vet here in Ontario, told me that the rabies vaccine is a public health issue, so it is up to the local health authorities to decide whether dogs require 1 or 3 year vaccines. So depending on what county or municipality you live, depends how often your dogs need to get vaccinated.

Guest EmilyAnne
My vet here in Ontario, told me that the rabies vaccine is a public health issue, so it is up to the local health authorities to decide whether dogs require 1 or 3 year vaccines. So depending on what county or municipality you live, depends how often your dogs need to get vaccinated.

Interestng you mentioned that, I found this article this morning and book marked it: http://www.siriusdog.com/articles/rabies-v...lations-law.htm

I asked that question of the state zoonois board when Texas changed over a few years ago. They said there are two types and you can tell by the name, but most vets use the three year even if the state requires yearly vaccinations.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I ask the vet today when I took Sophie it is no different, it is the laws.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest tcornwel

Interestng you mentioned that, I found this article this morning and book marked it: http://www.siriusdog.com/articles/rabies-v...lations-law.htm

Thanks for that. I was going by what a vet told me (not my favourite vet at the clinic), she did know that the county I live in required it every three years. I am glad to know that it is province wide that every three years is acceptable.

T

There ARE two vaccines. They may or may not be identical, but some are sold as a 1 year and some as 3 year. The woman from the State of Texas explained to me that three year vaccines usually have three in their name. Example for a couple of on line sources that sell rabies for thr states where it does not hve to be dministered by the vet.

Rabvac3 -- Fort Dodge -- 3year $11.95 at one supplier

Defensor3 -- Pfizer -- 3 year $11.95 at supplier

Rabdomun -- Schering Plough -- 1 year $12.95 at supplier

She did tell me that most vets just order the three yer even if laws require 1 year because more is made (about 40 states have gone to three year) and they can get it cheaper.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest EmilyAnne

My understanding is the only differences between the one year and the three year are what the label says, and the testing that was done for them. That's it.

What is in the vial is the same.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg