Treat Ideas For A Toothless Pup

Guest Panda

So, poor Buster had his dental today, and as we suspected would happen (the poor guy has had terrible teeth since we got him, regular dentals, bones , brushing, etc. haven't helped at all) he lost all his teeth except his 4 canines and 2 others on one side. We already feed raw (preformed patties that we thaw so it's soft), so I'm not worried about changing his meals, but I'm not sure what kind of treats are best for a dog without teeth. Does anyone with a toothless grey have any suggestions? I'd love to hear them.

Guest HeatherDemps

I don't have a toothless grey, but what about PB inside a Kong, some baby food, mashed bananas, or Frosty Paws? That's off the top of my head!

Guest Mom2Gr8dawgs

Don't underestimate what Buster will be able to eat. My Striper and Luna both had all of the teeth behind their canines removed, and some of the teeth between their canines. They could still manage to eat chicken leg/thigh quarters, and loved to. I felt bad letting them at first, and ground their food for a long time, but then they I let them have them just to see what would happen and was amazed. Sometimes they would leave the thigh bones, but sometimes they ate the whole thing. I did tend to give them softer treats, like liver brownies for the most part, but they still enjoyed an occasional bully stick, too, and could eat hard dog cookies. It took them a lot longer to eat than the dogs with teeth, but they loved their normal diet and wanted to stick with it.

Guest Hotwire

Hope had 26 teeth pulled when we adopted her. She has 2 lower mollars on one side, and 1 on the other, so she can't really use them very much. (I don't really know why they even left them in at all, 'cause now she needs them taken out 2 years later)

Our Hope does well with small chopped up pieces of "rollover" The boys get bigger pieces that they chew up, and Hope gets little diced up pieces that she can just swallow. She also loves cheese.

There are biscuit makers here on this board who make soft treats and muffins. I have purchased them as gifts for a friend who has an Irish grey with no teeth.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I realize that your dog lost a lot more than my Polli's 17 teeth but she gums dried chicken tenders, the big nutro cookies, she loves ZUKES (they are soft, expensive, but soft). As Mom2grtdawgs said, don't underestimate their chewing abilities!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Once he heals and his gums toughen up just a little, graham crackers, animal crackers, crumblier biscuits such as the IAMS Lamb & Rice or EVO original .... Until then, slice of bread, slice of processed cheese, Wildside Salmon (little freeze-dried chunks -- very crumbly & very pricey but pups tell me they are The Best).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You would be surprised how well he'll do. My sisters bridge girl eventually lost all her teeth save for one. She ate reg. dog biscuits, crunchy (small) kibble with water but not a mushy. Go with soft things for a few days and then just try your normal treats and see how he does.

Thanks for the suggestions. Poor guy, his mouth is all swollen, he's groggy, it just looks so sore. I think the next few days are going to be tough - he's touchy and a giant wimp at the best of times, he's going to be a bear with a sore mouth.

Quite a few toothless pups or very few teeth seem to do well with the bite sized treats I make or the fluffernutter muffins. If you order though, let me know they are for a toothless pup so I don't dry them out to make them crunchier.

Guest greytmonty
Quite a few toothless pups or very few teeth seem to do well with the bite sized treats I make or the fluffernutter muffins. If you order though, let me know they are for a toothless pup so I don't dry them out to make them crunchier.

Macoduck's bridge dog Oliver LOVED Trudy's treats and they were fine for him, he had very few teeth.

My Chancy had only seven teeth left after her final dental. I kept extra-yummy things on hand for her when my other dogs had their normal crunchy treats. Sliced bologna, chopped-up hot dogs, soft BilJac treats, chopped up Natural Balance rolls, peanut butter blobs, cheese cubes, things like that. The others got a little jealous, but I told them if they ever lose all their teeth, they'll get the "good stuff" too. :lol

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest KennelMom

For "big treats" we use PB filled kongs. For small treats I keep soft treats on hand that I can break into small bits so Grandpa doesn't have to chew. He only has his canine teeth and the ones in between....though he'll probably lose all his canines in his upcoming dental.