Poor Pinky, Toenail Again

Pinky came in from outside the other day with one of her front toenails broken off and bleeding :( I've wrapped her foot (our SOP around here until it quits bleeding and the nail decides to detach), and she doesn't like it so she's acting like she can't use the leg at all. It's her right front so she's been acting like a 3 legger for the past couple of days. I've been calling her Hopalong, I guess maybe that's not very nice but I feel very bad for her and I guess I'm just trying to make light of a bad deal...my poor Pinkers!

Just keep her in your thoughts a little, eh? If she loses any more she'll have to have more prednisone. She tolerated it well the last course she had, but she already takes so many pills I hate to make her take more, though she doesn't seem to mind since that means more PB on the spoon :P

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Well, I took her wrap off today and she actually let me dremel the toenail (it never completely broke off, it was cracked) and I was able to sand it down almost to where the break had occurred (for whatever reason that nail had grown freakishly much longer than the others). Her nails are so brittle and they're very tough to keep up with, but I think she's beginning to understand that she feels better if she allows me to keep them shorter. It used to take 3 people to dremel her nails, and since I live alone it is kind of a butt pain to get some help. Today she let me do them by myself! :yay

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Well, tonight she broke off another toenail...this time from a rear foot..*sigh* my poor girl. Her nails are so brittle and they are just breaking off out in the snow. She won't walk with booties or socks on either.

She is on tetracycline 2xdaily, niacinamide, vitamin e, and omega 3 fish oil caplets twice a day also. I think it's time for another round of prednisone :( I'll be calling doc in the morning to see if he agrees or if he thinks we should just up her tetracycline to 3 a day for a while.

She hates having her feet bandaged and she just gives me the glare from across the room all the time...

Good luck with her nails... I have to take Carmen in to the vet to trim her nails. All the others (6 more) let me do their nails by myself. Carmen cries and jumps and screams, it's almost embarrassing...

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest multiplicity

How's Pinky doing? Is she on the predisone now?

Our Murph-Murph has SLO but it is kept under control pretty well with the niacinamide, vitamin E and fish oil. The winter is harder on him but it seems the key is to make sure he gets enough niacinamide...when he doesn't get enough niacinamide (he doesn't like them much) that is when his nails start to crack and fall off. He too prefers his pills "a-la-peanut butter". :P

Coming late to the "party" ... but ... if she will let you dremel/sand them every day or every other day, the quicks WILL recede. Took me @ 3 weeks to see those results. I'm guessing if you could do it for 2-3 months, you might get some really short, less breakable nails going there.

Hugs to you and Pinky.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.