Stroke Recovery Possible?

Guest michael_roberts

Hi Michael,

I'm so sorry to hear about Noza.

Cindy mentioned the article I wrote about Major. Major's type of stroke was a cerebellar infarct. It occurred on Monday Feb. 16, 2004. Major experienced a lot of the same things Noza is going thru. They determined what kind of stroke it was by an MRI. Major was also on Soloxine and Proin, prior to the stroke and the Dr. thought the combination of the two lead to the stroke. He came off both medications and ended up on amlodipin for the high blood pressure. He stayed at Tufts for 3 nights and came home on Thursday. Major did show improvement during the first couple of days. And he continued to improve, slowly but surely, but never was 100%.

Did Noza have an MRI done? Perhaps they can pinpoint the type of stroke she had. I would give her more time, do the PT and acupuncture.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Carla

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest michael_roberts

Noza had two acupuncture treatments last week. She has not had an MRI, but her symptoms are classic brain stem stroke, so we're pretty sure that's what happened. We're still trying to get hold of PT. There are several in the area who offer hydro, massage, etc. Not giving up yet, just getting discouraged that she is not showing any improvement after 11 days. She is totally nonambulatory and incontinent. We've tried carrying her out for potty breaks but no luck. It doesn't help her that temps are below zero here (we live at 8500 feet in the Rockies).

Guest michael_roberts

Well, we're not giving up yet. We have not read of a case where the dog has gone this long w/o showing improvement, and that has us worried. According to the neurologist, you just have to wait and see how much damage has been done. So, would love to hear of any cases where there was no improvement in the first week and a half and the dog ultimately recovered.

You might want to read through the following topics. I tried to put them in chronological order. They're about greytdecals' Alan, who had a spinal injury / FCE / stroke type of thing last year. My recollection is that initially progress was *very* slow and discouraging -- you'll probably find that in the first link below. And then ... he got better. I don't think anyone -- including vets -- knows exactly what to expect with these things. A frustrating waiting game to be sure, but sending along many prayers for your girlie.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...195&hl=Alan

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...809&hl=Alan

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...868&hl=Alan

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...794&hl=Alan

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...817&hl=Alan

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest michael_roberts

We took Noza to see her regular vet yesterday. The vet checked her eye and did a neurological exam. Noza's eye was healed. The neurological exam was not good news. All of Noza's original stroke symptoms were still present. When standing, which she could only do with two of us holding her, Noza could not flip her feet forward when the vet turned them under, i.e., no sensation or control in any of her four legs. The vet said she had never seen a dog who had suffered a stroke who could not stand and walk, even though wobbly, within five days after the stroke. She told us she doubted Noza could recover, so reluctantly, we decided to put her to sleep.

The euthanasia process was quick, painless, and humane for Noza. For us, the grief and pain continue. We miss her terribly.

Thanks to all of you for your support and most of all for those of you who have shared your experiences with strokes. Your shared experiences, along with those of Noza's neurologist and regular vet, helped us make decisions that we felt were necessary to give Noza a chance to recover or, at least, enough time to determine whether recovery was likely. In this case, apparently the damage she suffered was too severe to recover from. We hope Noza's story will help other stroke victims do what is best for their beloved pets.

Peace,

Michael and Theresa

I'm sorry her condition wasn't better and that you had to make such a difficult tho loving decision. Sending condolences to you and yours.

Godspeed, lovely girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest VelvetEars

You don't have enough posts for me to PM you, so here's what I was trying to send:

In June, my Janey had a stroke. If you search my topics, you'll find the stories.

She was at a local animal hospital for a few days, showing no improvement. I brought her home for a few days, and she was still basically "the same". The only thing that gave me hope was that she never stopped eating, and if we could get her outside, she would pull herself into a squat to pee/poop. She would take 1-2 steps and fall over.

I moved her to Columbia (Mizzou - vet school, about 100 mi away) for almost a week, where she was still basically "the same". They did a spinal tap, MRI, ultrasounds...the works. They determined that she was blind and, the entire time she was there, she couldn't walk. She'd knuckle under and not be able to stand much at all. They discovered what they believed to be a tumor deep in her brain as well.

The day I went to pick her up. she started walking. She'd still knuckle under, and her balance was way off, but she was trying. (She was a stubborn girl and I was her world - I suspect she would have done anything to come home.)

I rehabbed her at home. It took a loooong time - I had to teach her how to do stairs again, everything. I think she did regain some of her sight. She was on a plethora of meds - including hydralazine for high blood pressure. But she got better, and I eventually stopped all her meds. She wasn't 100% back to being the "old Jane", but she was getting around fine on her own, etc. The only major change was that she wasn't able to hold her urine all night - I usually got up with her at least once. And she'd routinely pee at the top of the stairs - or on the stairs - if we were going out (not just at night, but during the day if I waited too long to take her out).

I lost her 4 weeks ago to a bowel obstruction - totally unrelated to the stroke.

Jane gave me every indication that she was not giving up, and I promised her that as long as she was willing to fight, I would fight too. When her bowel was obstructed, she let me know that she was done. :( But I have not regretted the work it took to help her recover from the stroke.

Edited to add: I just saw your update that you had to say goodbye. I'm sorry for your loss.

Edited by VelvetEars

Michael and Theresa,

I just read your last post. Thank you for doing all you could for your sweet Noza and giving her a chance. I'm so very sorry for the outcome. You are in my thoughts and prayers at this sad, difficult time. Noza is smiling down upon you, thanking you for all you did.

:f_pink:gh_run:f_pink

Godspeed Noza, you are greytly missed.

Hugs,

Carla

My deepest condolences to you for your heartbreaking loss. :bighug Godspeed, sweet Noza... :gh_run

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Michael and Theresa,

My heart breaks for you. I'm so sorry.

robin

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest wrldruler

nelly and george give a sad forlorn roo to you

and ofcourse, i am crying

so sorry for your loss

i just hope when i have to face the last days with my greys i can be as strong as you all