Urine Test Results

Hobbes has been having issues urinating in our house where he simply can't seem to hold it, I'm sure it is medical. The first urine test came back negative for an infection but was preformed by my regular vet who said everything was normal. I got another urine and blood test done today by a grey savvy vet.

The urine test again was negative for an infection but the vet felt some other values seemed off. First off the specific gravity (how well they concentrate there urine) was low for a greyhound. I believe it was 10.20. She also said he had Bilirubin (sp) of +2 in his urine which could indicate a liver problem. The vet has to wait for the blood test results before she will know what is going on in his liver.

I don't have the faintest clue about liver deceases or their treatments. So I'm a little worried about the whole thing.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Guest Kpparker
opps, I misspelled disease in the title and post. Can't figure out how to chance it.

Lol... having one of those days.. no advice but I hope Hobbesy is okay :hope

Bia and Tavi send their love :kiss2

How old is Hobbes? What are you feeding?

He is 8 1/2, I currently feed Nutro. I've only had him 6 months and tried a couple foods before I found one he would eat. He has only been on Nutro a few months. I'm probably going to switch him depending what the vet says.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

I wouldn't worry too much about the Bilirubin--rather common with greys. I would repeat the U.S.G. using the first a.m. urine. 1.020 is dilute (should be over 1.030)--hopefully he just had a lot of water to drink when you had the first test run. The first morning sample will give you more accurate results.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Bilirubin--rather common with greys. I would repeat the U.S.G. using the first a.m. urine. 1.020 is dilute (should be over 1.030)--hopefully he just had a lot of water to drink when you had the first test run. The first morning sample will give you more accurate results.

He hadn't had a lot of water. I took him as soon as I got home from work, so he had been sleeping for 8 hours. He doesn't tend to drink much when he is alone.

Do you know what causes a low U.S.G ? The vet really didn't explain anything to me yet.

Guest nerak254

For whatever it's worth, Goody had liver problems the last couple of years she was with me and we were able to manage it so she had a good quality of life. I hope he's ok.

Take in a first-of-the-a.m. sample after he's been without water overnight. Even if you're sure he wasn't drinking anything during the day.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Just a thought and likely isn't an issue since you are feeding kibble...

Ryan was doing something similar - he would be peeing in the house and didn't even seem to know he was peeing. Our normal vet wasn't available, so we got the other one in the office. She kept telling me to do all these crazy expensive tests and she was convinced he had something wrong with his liver. I was not.

Somebody mentioned kelp powder causing an issue in their dog.

Ryan was being raw fed at the time and was getting a small amt of kelp powder. As soon as I stopped giving him that, he stopped peeing.

I got the results of his blood test. His liver enzymes looked good :yay His blood cells indicated they were fighting off an infection so the vet thinks the infection may be higher in his urinary tract. I'll continue with a course of antibiotics.

His thyroid was low, but she said with an infection and being a greyhound she wasn't to worried.

I'm so relieved, I had my self so worried.