Oh Wise Gters....keflex, Any Experience?

Guest sweetpea

Guest sweetpea

Sweetpea's developed a UTI, two types of bacteria, one is resistant to ampicillin, the other is not.

Vet has prescribed Keflex, anyone have experience with keflex and Greyhounds?

My vet's are grey savvy, I just thought I'd double check with my peeps.

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Buzzy

Guest GiJenn51

Yup-- It gave Tigger irritable bowel disease. He was on 1500 mg a day. Killed any good bacteria in his system. BUT he didn't lose his leg.

Just be sure to give a bunch of yogurt with it, and you shouldbe fine!!

It's a powerful antibiotic.

Guest sweetpea

Thanks guys,

Sweetpea is a terrible pill taker, but I've found a lump of cream cheese is irresistable to her, and it's so gooey she can't try any

evasive pill manuevers :hehe

Buzzy

Turbo has taken several times over the years with the only side effect being slightly softer stool than normal. Otherwise, he tolerated it just fine :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

If your grey won't tolerate yoghurt (mine get runny poops) you could try probiotics added to your girl's food instead - you can get them at the health food store. Good luck with this!

Yep! I use plain old acidophilus capsules, too. Actually, there are flavored wafers out there too, which seem to go over pretty well here.

You should wait about an hour after the antibiotic, though, or the med will just kill the good guys, too.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.