Spinner Ate A Poise Pad

Guest SusanP

Spinner stole a small incontinence pad (I think that's what it is) out of the trash and ate all but a little bit of it from what I could find. Will it swell up inside him and cause a blockage?

We're trying to leave the bathroom doors closed at all times, but one of the kids goofed. He is stealing and eating so many oddball things I'm going crazy. (It's not just a matter of no food on counters--he takes books out of book cases, anything he can get).

I'm calling the vet maybe every couple of weeks to check about the stuff he's eaten. Is there a list of the most dangerous things?

Edited by SusanP

Guest HeatherDemps

Not sure, but I think it'll be okay, just keep an eye on throwing up or poopy problems. If you haven't already, you might want to call the vet and check to be sure.

There was one time Dempsey got into the trash and I thought he had eaten some tampons. Gross, I konw! I had to call the e-vet to ask and they said he should be okay. It was an embarrassing call to make, but worth the reassurance! They asked me about size and I had to clarify if they meant the tampons or the dog. :)

I would check with your vet. One of my dogs, Renie, will eat very strange things when her stomach doesn't feel good. This has resulted in E-vet trips since some of the things she has eaten would not have passed through.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

How big was it? One of our special needs kids wears a puzzle with muzzle cup most of the time for her own protection. She will eat anything. Thankfully the stuff reappears in a few days in her poop. Hopfully the pad will reappear in a few days for you.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

--sigh-- called the vet again...They said it can go either way with those things, that they can swell and cause a blockage, so just watch him for vomiting and lethargy. He ate it very late last nite, I think.

This dog is driving me nuts!

As a back up to closed doors, I've sprayed down all the trash cans with bitter apple.

Many years ago, we had a mutt we called Estrogen Dog because of his propensity for used "products." He never had trouble passing any of it, but it made the backyard quite attractive.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

If it was out of the trash perhaps it was already as 'swollen' as it good get? I think if it was just a small pad you will probably be OK.

There was one time Dempsey got into the trash and I thought he had eaten some tampons. Gross, I konw! I had to call the e-vet to ask and they said he should be okay. It was an embarrassing call to make, but worth the reassurance! They asked me about size and I had to clarify if they meant the tampons or the dog. :)

I had a little Bichon that had the propensity for eating such things. One day I noticed she was straining to poop and saw a string hanging out of her butt. I was sure she had the thing stuck and was blocked and I rushed her to the vet. Turns out the 'string' was a piece of grass and that the reason she was straining is because she had a loose poop which had caused a mat on her hiney. I paid for an after hours e-vet visit to have a hairy poop ball cut of the dogs butt.

A word of caution.....we had a greyhound adopted from our group die because he got into the trash and ate a used tampon. I believe it caused a blockage and deterioration to his organs. This was a few years ago so I don't remember the details.....I know it was caught right away, but nothing could be done to save him.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

A word of caution.....we had a greyhound adopted from our group die because he got into the trash and ate a used tampon. I believe it caused a blockage and deterioration to his organs. This was a few years ago so I don't remember the details.....I know it was caught right away, but nothing could be done to save him.

From our experiences with Renie, I think it's really urgent to get it quickly while it is still in the stomach. With her last "little" episode I am positive we would have lost her if we hadn't gotten her to the e-vet when we did.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg