Vinnie

Guest judechet

Guest judechet

Vinnie crossed the bridge today less than three months before his 14th birthday.

When I came home from shopping, he got up with the others to greet me. Then, all of a sudden, his hind legs both gave out and he fell on his butt. He tried to get up and couldn't. He did manage to crawl a few feet to a bed. I thought that he might have sprained a leg and decided just to watch him carefully. Later, he tried to get up again and could not. I tried using a sling to help him and it was obvious that he was in a lot of pain.

With the help of a neighbor, we carried Vinnie out to my car in a comforter and I took him to the emergency clinic. The doctor examined Vinnie and told me that he had severe nerve damage to both legs and would never be able to stand again. Also, he had a heart problem for his heart was beating very rapidly and sporadically. She said that the humane thing to do would be to let him go. I expected that news.

So, Vinnie, a sweet, friendly, happy-go-lucky guy who was never bothered by any thing or anyone, is now waiting for me on the other side. I adopted him from Marilyn of Greyhound Adoptions of Florida while I was still living in Houston. Vinnie was flown to me on the maiden voyage of a Piper Cub; thanks to a suggestion by Burpdog. Vinnie had the same name as I and we certainly were soul mates. What I will miss most is his nightly ritual: after turnout at 10, I would give everyone a biscuit. Vinnie would remain in the kitchen and nestle up to me and we would spend several minutes together as I hugged, petted, and spoke with him. Then he would follow me to bed. Tonight will be very difficult for me. I am conforted by knowing that he had a long life and we had many good years together. And, we will be together for all eternity. Godspeed, my friend! You are one of God's loving and loved creatures. You are my special friend. There is no cross that love won't bear. I miss you terribly but your spirit will always live in my heart and thoughts. Go in peace, my prince.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so very sorry. Sending many hugs. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug Run free, beautiful Vinnie. :gh_run2

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest SkinnyLegDogLover

Vinnie had a long happy life, but they never stay long enough, do they? I hope sadness will give way to many happy memories. Run free, Vinnie. :angelwings

Oh no... :( I'm so sorry it was time for him to go. Such a beloved hound who will be sorely missed. :brokenheart Godspeed, precious Vinnie... :gh_run

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I am so sorry for the loss of your special boy, Vinnie. Take comfort in knowing he is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind.

Make yourself familiar with the angels, and behold them frequently in spirit; for without being seen, they are present with you. St. Francis de Sales

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so sorry. :cry1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Prayers of peace and comfort. that was a beautiful tribute to a greyt friend. run free sweet Vinnie. You are loved.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

I am so sorry. Vinnie had a nice, long life and just remember that he's in a good place now...young again, healthy and in very good company.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

I am so sorry for your loss.

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.