Hints Or Tips About Peeing Inside Arrg

Guest WarmheartedPups

Guest WarmheartedPups

So, Otis has had every test in the book, UA's, bloodwork , x rays and ultrasounds. I have had him almost two years.

He pees in the house randomly...this week twice....last week none...week before 2 times. This started about one year ago...and has gotten worse. It can be a workday or a weekend.

Everything negative...urine ok! Every organ ok! He will be 10 in April.

I come home every day at lunch...but sometimes he has peed before I get home...so within 3 hours...then he can go 6 hours and do ok.

He is not marking....he is peeing a lot.

Could this be behavioral?

Gosh....the thought of living with this is frustrating...I know things could be worse...I'm just perplexed...what dog cant go 3 hours without peeing...when they havent had water?

Just thought someone may have a far out idea to try. ..or something I havent thought of.

Thanks guys!!

What are you feeding him? How much salt could he be getting from this food?

Do you have a dog door?

Is he overfed? We had one foster that bounced for an unrelated reason that stopped his indoor pee/poo problem when brought down to proper weight.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I would try the belly band to see if he can actually hold it or if maybe it's beahvorial for one reason or another.

Once he pees in it , he normally won't do it again because sitting in pee for 2 or 3 hours isn't fun BUT if it is wet more than once or 2 x wearing it, I would think it is some sort of age incontinence.

Sheila makes belly bands.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

How much does he drink, when?

FWIW:

Zema has had a mild drinking/peeing problem. I have put her on a very restricted homecooked diet of beef (mostly), smooshed peas (spoonful, for fiber and vitamins), sweet potato (spoonful, for vitamins), and white potato (made into salt-free, fat-free chips, for treats). So far this is working. Her drinking/peeing is near-normal. We tried switching to a low-salt prescription diet, didn't work, immediate return of problem that did not diminish ..... Current plan is to slooooooooooowly add one ingredient at a time to her beef diet so she can get some variety without a recurrence of symptoms.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest WarmheartedPups
How much does he drink, when?

FWIW:

Zema has had a mild drinking/peeing problem. I have put her on a very restricted homecooked diet of beef (mostly), smooshed peas (spoonful, for fiber and vitamins), sweet potato (spoonful, for vitamins), and white potato (made into salt-free, fat-free chips, for treats). So far this is working. Her drinking/peeing is near-normal. We tried switching to a low-salt prescription diet, didn't work, immediate return of problem that did not diminish ..... Current plan is to slooooooooooowly add one ingredient at a time to her beef diet so she can get some variety without a recurrence of symptoms.

In the a.m. at 7:00, I give him 10 licks of water at the most before I go to work. At noon, maybe 10 licks of water and outside to pee... and he pees a lot.......At 4:45 when I come home till 10:00....maybe 5 or 6 cups of water....he weights 85 pounds.

He eats 1 and 1/2 cups of food 2 times a day. Eagle Pack holistic tuna, salmon and anchovies.

So it could be salt? Are there low salt dog foods? When you say beef...what kind.....and how much do you feed per day?

We tried a prescription dog food, K/D. There's an even lower salt one for heart problems. There are Purina/Eukanuba (now IAMS) versions for those who don't like Hills, but they're pretty much the same.

My vet thought it might be the salt. I'm not sure it is.

Beef: Just plain old grocery store ground beef. I get the medium-fat, not the lowest, not the highest. Zema at 55 lbs. gets a pound a day of beef for 800-1000 calories, and another 200-400 calories of other stuff (sweet potato, peas, her potato treats). Small lazy girl :) . Oh, I do add some eggshell to the beef for calcium -- @ 1 eggshell per pound of beef. I grind it up in my mortar. Could probably feed her the egg, too, but I wanted to start *really* simple.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.