Average Cost For Dental Cleaning?

Guest Planet

I really feel ripped off now. I had Hobbes teeth done when I first brought him home. The bill was close to $900, although he did have some nasty teeth w/10 extractions.

Must be a Toronto thing, our quote was just under 1000. They said it would be more if they had to extract any teeth. We've not done it yet as the pre-blood work turned up something wrong and we're dealing with that at the moment.

• 8 years later...
Guest Wmusherry

I live in Baltimore, MD and just adopted my grey a few months ago. I called a clinic with a vet that specializes in greys for his first dental appointment (who has never seen him). The quoted price was $185 with bloodwork. I was actually very surprised how reasonable it was!

Guest curi0us

Oh man, my grey needs work done, but they quoted between $500 and $600 for it :/ Bummer that pet insurance won't cover dental work like that (mine only covers it if they were in an accident and need dental work because of that)

Love resurrected threads. It's all about location. In West Texas you can get dentals for less than $150 and $10 a tooth. Last GH dental I had done was Buck about 8 years ago. At a VCA Dallas it was $250 (that included bloodwork) and $20 an extraction.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest curi0us

Love resurrected threads. It's all about location. In West Texas you can get dentals for less than $150 and $10 a tooth. Last GH dental I had done was Buck about 8 years ago. At a VCA Dallas it was $250 (that included bloodwork) and $20 an extraction.

Time to do some shopping around!

Pasadena, CA, veterinary dentist, small 9 year old female greyhound maybe 48lbs soaking wet....$2,000+ that's with some extractions, too. Hear the sound of my head exploding? And that's with an adoption group discount.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Sportingfields

Without xrays or extraction about 300.00 includes pre-op blood work. Depends on area of the country you are in, worth checking around, possibly someone might be running a special. The most important part, once you've done the dental keep up with good dental care. Brush teeth several times a week, daily if you are able and give healthy, Greyhound approved raw bones. This will keep those dentals years apart and save you buckets of money.

If any of my pups needed minor surgery, as in removal of no big deal lump, I always ask vet to touch up their teeth. Unless you've a pup with chronic peritonitis or other teeth issues, maintaining good dental route at home, will keep them off the dental couch. Ignoring really bad teeth/tartar can lead to heart issues, as the bacteria works into their blood stream.

I personally would not drive to another vet to save $200 unless you know the vet. The vets I use I trust.

Some dogs need a dental every 6 months and some every few years. There is no set time "limit". It depends on their mouths and some of them have awful mouths with deep pockets.

Yes and also yes.

Murray had a dental with extractions last July. With bloodwork that dental was $900. We've never seen a bill less than $600 for any dental our hounds have had over the last 8 years. I couldn't even imagine a bill under $200 for this type of procedure.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

In our area, Mount Airy, MD, around February, several vets that have been established for years, offer specials for a month. Additionally, if you go to "Groupon" and sign up for your nearest city, Ours is Baltimore and Washington, DC. you may find vets offering specials in the spring also. So if your grey needs a dental, just call to see if they are well versed on greyhounds first. You may save a few bucks there. I know that the Country Vet in Mount Airy is one of the places that offer the discount. They have been around for many years. As my boy ages, I am not so prone to put him under. He is big, but extremely sensitive to being put under and is recovering from Chemo shots., So we are taking it easy with him as far as shots and dental.