Average Cost For Dental Cleaning?

Guest Planet

What is the average cost of having your grey's teeth cleaned? My vet recently quoted $400, which seems rather pricey to me. My pet insurance only covers a small fraction of this cost. I was just wondering what others have paid for this service.

Thanks.

Depending on where you live, $400 sounds about right. I expect to pay about $600 when I pick my boy up from his dental this afternoon, but I know he's receiving the best possible care, is on fluids, etc.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest gomiesmom

Gomie just had a dental last month - pre-dental bloodwork and dental was 220.00, we are in central VA. Vet doesn't seem cheap, but other dentals I've had done, with heart monitoring and oravet gel applied and/or extractions has cost more at another vet I used to visit before the Hound.

all depends on where you live. I adopted a dog that came from an East coast group and their vet was quoting them over $600 for a dental and that was with the groups discount. I brought the dog here to the midwest and that dental ran me about $120.

I live in central VA and Lizzie's last dental (with pre-anesthesia bloodwork) was $185. I think they take into consideration that I have four greys and a cat so I get a bit of a discount.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

I pay $200-$250 for full bloodwork and all the bells and whistles (propofol for induction, IV fluids, monitoring, Oragel app., etc.). Mid-sized midwestern city.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LazyBones

dental withpre-surgical blood and urine tests for gumby was just under $100. there is a $3 fee per extraction, but fortunately, gumby hasn't needed any teeth pulled.

There are a lot of variables including where you are, how bad the teeth are, (the worse the teeth the longer the dental), if there are an extractions, etc. There are also variables in what is included in the price. We pay about $300. with no extractions and mild to moderate tartar. Included in the $300. are pre-dental boodwork, IV fluids, anesthesia, EKG, temperature is monitored before, during and after dental, etc.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Thanks for everyone's responses as to what you have paid for a dental cleaning. It almost seems worth a trip out of town to save a few hundred dollars!

I just paid $635 for dental, three xrays, two extractions and doxyrobe packing of two pockets. I was slightly shocked but not completely surprised. I do know they're the most expensive outfit in town but they're also the most advanced. I've used them since 1974.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest lmackenzie

I just got a quote for my cat low-ball $750 high ball $994...now the quote includes worst case scenario with extractions but that seems a bit high to me...

OMG I didn't realize dentals were so outrageously expensive! :ohno I have been meaning to make an appointment with the vet for a dental for Merlin. I love my vet, but their bills are not cheap. I would be prepared to get several quotes and drive several tens of miles before I paid $500-$600. That's ridiculous - especially considering they should be done once a year... is that right? Or is it less frequently than that?

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I have two five year olds who have had nothing more than a scaling in their life so far. Inu just had his first real dental on Thursday and Salem is still clear tooth-wise. Point being, I do not think a dental is required every year. Ask your vet what s/he sees and do a dental based on that.

We live in an expensive area and we paid around $400 for him. Amazing amounts of $ for the care with anesthesia and pre surgery blood work are included in that price.

corn hulling thrown in for free. I think our vet was happy to be able to hull a corn from Inu's foot without a fight. :blush

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Inugrey is right - you shouldn't have to have a dental every year unless your dog just genetically has bad teeth or you are remiss about dental care. Turbo's ended up costing me $435 when I picked him up, but I do get a discount due to my involvement with adoption/referring a gabillion clients their way (and they warrant it - they're great!), so that took nearly $80 off, but we also did a u/a just for the record - I'm not sure how much that was, but I'm guessing $40 or so. Also got two corns hulled for free and a check on a wonky toenail. Pre-dental blood work was $145, but I didn't do the normal, i wanted to get a good baseline for the future (he'll be 7 this year, so I want something to compare senior value to), so I did a CBC, SuperChem and Thyroid.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest KennelMom

We do dentals when/if a dog needs them. In the three years we've been married we've had one dental done on a dog...Caesar when he was 12. He needed a canine extraction done and it was about $170 IIRC, including pre-surgery bloodwork. I've had my first grey for nearly 5 years and she's never needed a dental.

Some dogs do seem to have really bad teeth and may need them more often, but good preventative care should go a long way to preventing dentals.

I agree that it depends on the dog. My Dane lived to be 8 years old without a dental. her teeth were stained but her gums were good and it just wasn't necessary. The Italian however could use a dental in reality every six months. She's an IBD dog so no chew bones, chlorhexadine in the dental rinses and pastes upsets her condition and before her diet change she was clueless what to do with the RMBs. (She wanted to bury them in the sofa!!!)

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Costs vary a lot and even in the same city, it depends on extractions, etc. Pulling the little teeth is inexpensive, canines are expensive as are the big molars.

I personally would not drive to another vet to save $200 unless you know the vet. The vets I use I trust. If they lose one of my dogs, I know there was nothing that could have been done, ie I trust them. That alone is worth a lot of money.

Many vets have discounts during February for dentals.

Some dogs need a dental every 6 months and some every few years. There is no set time "limit". It depends on their mouths and some of them have awful mouths with deep pockets.

I didn't know what a dental was (I might have heard about them, but didn't "get" it) until I got greys. None of my Dobes or Danes ever had a dental.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I paid $450 last November for all 3 dogs to have dentals, including lab work. Dr Sheff is the best.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Guest greydogluvr

I just had two of my greys teeth cleaned. The first had three extractions plus an EKG and all the bells and whistles. His was $450+. The second had one extraction and all the bells and whistles, but no EKG (She is younger than my male). Hers was $350+. My total for 2 was close to $900. So worth it knowing they were in good hands and as a preventitive measure.