My Halle Is In Surgery

Guest greyhound_mommy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greyhound_mommy

Doc called me and said that he's confident Halle girl can come home after church tomorrow. He said they've finally gotten her to walk without/without much assistance. (I wasn't aware she wasn't walking without assistance) He said she's still groggy and still staggering but it's wearing off slowly.

:) I'm still concerned why this is taking so long. I'm hoping someone posts taht has seen this before. It always makes me feel better when there has been a situation before and we know things came out well and why they happened.

Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts I know they help.

Hope she is back with you and doing great tomorrow! I know you'll be so relieved to see her.

I have had a dog be slow and pretty much inert day after anaesthesia, and still kinda slow next two days, but haven't had true grogginess that long.

Sounds like your vet is being very cautious and taking good care of her.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yes, I agree, your vet seems good, and keen to make sure she's ok and out of the anaesthesia before she goes home. Get some rest tonight (I know it's hard not to worry, but remind yourself that she seems to be in great hands!). Hope Halle feels better soon. Please keep us posted!

gallery_15587_3582_3452.jpg

Kerry with Pippin (Paid Vacation), adopted 4/15/2017
Missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin (PA's Paris), the biggest Love I've ever known, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan (Leon B) :brokenheart :brokenheart, every single day.

Many years ago, one of my greys was attacked by a woodchuck on a walk and needed surgery to repair the tears to her face. It was her first surgery at the time and the vet is very grey savvy, but I personally think she was sent home too early. She was very groggy all night long. She got home in the late afternoon, laid on the floor and that's as far as she got. She was out for hours. I was so worried that I slept the night on the floor next to her holding her paw in my hand so I could keep track of her pulse. By the next day she was much better, but still was spacy for a day or two.

Her next surgery years later was exploratory in nature, and I was sure to tell the vet about her prior difficulty after her last surgery and they adjusted the anesthesia for the next surgery. What a huge difference that adjustment made. When I picked her up she was a different girlie from the last time. Be sure the vet records her reaction in her file and remember to mention it in the future just in case she ever needs anesthesia again. Also get a copy of the file just in case she ever needs e-surgery at a different vet and your vet is closed. That happened to us once, but fortunately, the e-vet was able to tie into our vets records via computer as they were affiliated. I never gave it a thought that we might ever need that information one day for anything else, but it turned out we did when she injured a paw and needed stitches on a Sunday.

Healing thoughts from the Hilltops of WNY that Halle is feeling better and on the mend very soon!

Doc called me and said that he's confident Halle girl can come home after church tomorrow. He said they've finally gotten her to walk without/without much assistance. (I wasn't aware she wasn't walking without assistance) He said she's still groggy and still staggering but it's wearing off slowly.

:) I'm still concerned why this is taking so long. I'm hoping someone posts taht has seen this before. It always makes me feel better when there has been a situation before and we know things came out well and why they happened.

Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts I know they help.

Guest greyhound_mommy

I never thought about keeping a copy of her records for an emergency visit. I'll get those thanks!

BTW, who gets attacked by a woodchuck?!!? just kidding. ;) Sounds like something that would happen to me. "I was walking and all of the sudden out of no where........a woodchuck attacked." lol What part of NY are you in that you have crazy woodchucks?

LOL...you're not going to believe this...but that's exactly what happened....I swear!!!

When we first got our girlie in '97, DBF was away in England for his job. We did not have a fence at the time and were very dedicated walkers, several times a day...yada yada. So I leash up our girlie who although she never raced; and was never even registered; had a tremendous prey drive and was very very keen. We walked through the back yard heading to the field when a small woodchuck crossed our path running from the field to get under the shed and away from us. Well, I was not paying attention. I was admiring the beautiful spring day as we walked when all of a sudden her leash pulled hard. In the blink of an eye she grabbed that woodchuck and shook it witless in a matter of 3 seconds! I was absolutely horrified that my sweet girlie could even do this. She had parts of this critter hanging all over her...wrapped around her leash...YUCK! Where was the man of the house when one so desperately needed him. I called him in England after the incident and I swear I heard pride in his voice....did she kill it? Was she excited?? All I could do was say SHUT UP already...I was so very grossed out and angry with her for even having it in her to do such a thing!!

Well now...didn't that episode just light her prey drive to high test!!! Luckily this was not when the injury happened, but oh my was she so very proud of herself. She stunk so bad from this kill that I could not even get her farther than the garage without wanting to be ill over the whole thing. I had to call into work that day and give her an all out bath much to her dismay. She had to give up her so well deserved Eau De Dead Critter!!!

So now that she knows what these things are, over the years she has mapped out in her memory where all the woodchuck holes are. Many times during walks, she would bury herself to her shoulders trying to get down into their holes. Now no woodchuck is dumb enough to come out while a big dog is snorting down your front tunnel! One day one was in the field as we approached and it gave a high pitched warning whistle and dove for its hole. Well now....I did not know I could be dragged to a woodchuck hole so fast in my life by a 68 lb dog!!! In a heartbeat she was halfway down that hole after the critter which was certainly far gone by now. She refused to let that hole alone and began digging and digging until the hole was the size of a single car garage...ok...so almost that big. She got so tired from digging that she would lay on her side and dug as she laid down to rest.

Fast forward to a different day while out in the field per usual, the grass was about hip high this time of year, her lead began to shake violently. I could not believe that while I was enjoying the sunshine and scenery on our walk, she was stalking a trail to a woodchuck. She got a hold of it so fast that I don't think it even knew what came up on it. In her haste, she grabbed the back end rather than the end that mattered most. That woodchuck turned around with it's razor teeth and tore her face right open. I did all I could to get her to let the thing go but it was a fight to the end. Then she had the nerve to even think she was going to bring the thing home afterwards! I saw the damage and was sick to my stomach. She was so wired that it didn't even faze her that she was hurt. That was the first e-vet visit for surgery and of course was on a Sunday morning when it costs just to walk in the door and say hi.

One would think that an injury like that would make her think twice, but no matter what we did, that drive stayed with her until she left for the bridge in July. I have never known a dog with such high prey drive as our little girlie. In the last few years that she was with us, we finally did fence in a big portion of the yard to keep her safe, but I'll be damned if the stinkin bunnies didn't think it was more exciting to be on the side of the fence where a greyhound lived rather than on the safe side. Dumb bunnies...some much, much dumber than others!!

So yes, that is exactly how it happened. We are in moo country where there are more cows than people in Wyoming County, NY. It is just breathtaking up here on the hilltop, but here there are way too many woodchucks for my liking. They are cute looking, but they are prolific breeders like rats, and they are so so very mean when encountered. If I was good with a gun, I would shoot them on sight after seeing the damage they can do. I never disliked any animal until the encounters with the woodchucks. Our second girlie has some bit of a prey drive in her, mostly for kitties, and I am ever so grateful that our new girlie doesn't even get excited at a windblown leaf!

So the lesson of the day....BACK AWAY FROM THE WOODCHUCKS!

I never thought about keeping a copy of her records for an emergency visit. I'll get those thanks!

BTW, who gets attacked by a woodchuck?!!? just kidding. ;) Sounds like something that would happen to me. "I was walking and all of the sudden out of no where........a woodchuck attacked." lol What part of NY are you in that you have crazy woodchucks?

Guest greyhound_mommy

Wow, those things are crazy lol......she must have been pretty proud of her battle wounds! When Halle got her first and second (last I hope) kill of bunnies she came inside very very ashamed of herself. She would slink to her crate and hide for hours. I think she knew I didn't like when she got them.

BTW Halle is coming home in 45 minutes!! DH is showering and Sam is crying. Poor boy kept looking for her all weekend and crying. :( Can't wait til he GENTLY gets to see her! Doc said she's still weak and shaky but she is walking on her own!

Hoping for a quick and uneventful recovery!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest greyhound_mommy

We're at my parent's house, Halle is sleeping. She doesn't walk a straight line I can tell you that. She smells aweful too! he said she pee'd on herself a little when waking up.

He said that they have a concrete run inside the building for each dog to potty. He was in surgery and came out and she was standing in the hallway staring out the door. He was completely amazed that she jumped over the concrete barrier as tall as it was. She couldn't hardly walk but she managed to clammer over it. Her feet are scratched and her leg has a bad cut/scrape. I don't blame him of course lol she can get out of a locked crate too unless it's wire tied shut. She's none for the worse and I will have to post her before and after pics.

She looks wonderful! Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.

Wonderful news. You have both been in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us updated.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest greyhound_mommy

Poor Halle, she is out of it. We couldn't even get her to wake up to take her home from my parents. She lay on her dog bed the entire time with her head hanging over the side nose dripping. Very very dehydrated still. Her skin is saggy and wrinkled. when she got home she went straight to her crate. we have a huge crate dish filled for her.

On the plus side. Her backend looks wonderful. You'd never know she had anything done aside from some bruising. When she pee'd I could hear it hitting the ground. Instead of a thin stream she had a full stream. I guess I didn't realize how small of an amount she had coming out compared to now. It doesn't take her two minutes to finish either, no more little drop drop drop at the end. I bet she feels better emptying her bladder fully.

She is very stiff I bet that is more from climbing a concrete wall then from the surgery. He said there are no stitches to worry about either. :) -Sigh-

My dear sweet girl. And now I can say girl with confidence lol.

Bless her heart, We are very happy that she is slowly starting to feel better, she has been in our thoughts and prayers! :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

If she's still feeling dehydrated I would try giving her some lemon lime gatorade or some pedialyte to help get her electrolytes back up. She could be stiff due to an electrolyte imbalance as well. Don't want to scare you but I've seen dogs cramp up just trying to walk because they were too dehydrated and needed electrolytes.

Hope your girl is feeling better soon!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest greyhound_mommy

Oh yeah I never remember the gaterade. We've been bringing dishes of water to her. She's drinking the entire dish at one time. Her veins are bulging in her face. Thats our way of knowing she's dehydrated. It's killing me that she won't get up to even drink. I'll make sure to get some gaterade in her I bet that will help her.