My Halle Is In Surgery

Guest greyhound_mommy

Guest greyhound_mommy

Ok, so after millions and millions of posts over my dear girl's "backend" condition, Halle is under right now. -sigh- She went in at 7am and was put on iv's.

The surgery was probably going to start around 9-10 I assume. I am going nuts waiting for the call. This time I was not remotely as nervous as I was before because after several calls back and forth with my most wonderful vet and some information from another wonderful vet in Ohio I think she'll be fine!!

I KNOW she'll be fine!

She wasn't happy this morning though. :blush

After flip flopping around with treatments, and other things. Halle's condition was just too far gone. I think had we aggressively pursued the non surgical treatment she could have had a fine outcome but I think it would have taken too long and Scott and I are so busy that we wouldn't have been able to give her the time she needed to heal completely under supervision. (keeping her from licking, applying all the creams, etc) So we did go ahead schedule her surgery and decide AGAIN it was best.

I figured I wouldn't post until her surgery day for two reasons. One: I didn't want "I told you so's" cause I do listen to all the suggestions and sometimes it takes a little longer to get to the end result.

and Two: I didn't want to talk myself out of it again.

Sooooooooo prayers for my baby please and thank you :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending prayers and gentle hugs. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest greyhound_mommy

Ok quickly (at work)

Halle is waking up.

He said "I am a believer" she TRULY was a TRUE hermaphadite. Tell details later. He said this is one for his books.

Guest greyhound_mommy
Sending prayers!! As stated before, you know your dog and what is best!

Thank you, and thank you all.

The doctor said that Halle went through like a champ. He said he was completely amazed that she was a hermaphadite. He said that he found a small bone structure and two "huevos" as I call them covered by her female parts. He didn't go into great detail as I will talk with him tomorrow. He knew I was at work. He said that he couldn't believe with the statistics of her actually having this condition were so low. Anyway, thanks for all the thoughts. I will keep you all updated. :)

Guest greyhound_mommy

Well the doctor called at 8am. He said Halle is having some trouble coming out of the anesthesia like she should be. He said first off she got out of her run last night. Not sure what that means, but he called her Houdini, which is her nickname around here. She can get out of a locked crate with it perfectly locked when we get home. Anyway, he said that she is still groggy and is staggering still. :( He requested that we hold off picking her up until he can monitor her some more this morning. We'll talk around 11 he said.

He said maybe she was so stressed she didn't sleep it off. ???? Is this a possibility? I read that it takes about 8 hours for it to wear off and it's nearing 24 hours. Is she still in the danger zone? He said when he took her outside this morning she was staggering around the yard. Poor baby. So I'm sitting by the phone nervous waiting to see if I can take her home today.

Edited by greyhound_mommy

Well, she's probably pretty sore, too. But if she were nervous, the anaesthetic would leave her system faster, not slower. Do you know what anaesthetic he gave her? Did he give pain meds also? Can he consult with Dr. Feeman today?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greyhound_mommy

Update: talked to office staff. Halle is still acting the same. Doctor is trying to decide if it would be best for her to come home. He thinks she may be too upset to completely recover there and would rest better at home. He'll call me back soon.

Reason I asked is, Joseph had some trouble waking up once (altho this was right after his surgery, not next day). Doc thought it might be because he gave pain meds early.

IIRC Torbutrol can also have this effect.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greyhound_mommy

Doctor said he wants to keep her. :( They padded her "cell" and said they feel more comfortable with her there where he can keep an eye on her. He said she is on a very mild pain reliever, no narcs. He said it's just to keep pain down while urinating. He's going to continue monitoring her through out the day and call me when he checks on her. Said if she is better this afternoon I can get her if not possibly after he gets out of church tomorrow.

:( Poor baby.