A Lump On Lewis

A few minutes ago, I was loving on Lewis. He was in his favorite position...standing between my legs so I can rub his sides and scratch his butt. About two inches behind his shoulder, I felt a lump...bigger than a BB but smaller than a marble. It's hard but I can move it and it doesn't seem to bother him when I mess with it. We go through this routine everyday and I'm sure I would have noticed this before so it has to be new. I'm going to call my vet first thing in the morning but do any of yaw'll have any thoughts or advice?

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest HeatherDemps

I'd get it checked out. It might be nothing but it's always better to be safe. I know that mine has different lumps and bumps but the vet has said each one was nothing to worry about.

Guest tamaralynn

I JUST went through this with Diablo (yesterday as a matter of fact)...we had the lump removed on the advice of our doc and it's now being sent to the pathologist. I feel better coz it's better safe than sorry.

Edited by tamaralynn

I JUST went through this with Diablo (yesterday as a matter of fact)...we had the lump removed on the advice of our doc and it's now being sent to the pathologist. I feel better coz it's better safe than sorry.

I saw your post earlier and I hope you get a good report. The one on Lewis is under his skin. It came up so quick and it worries me that it's hard.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest RV4Greys

We just found one that developed pretty much over night it is about 3/4" in diameter and is on our little girls belly. We are making an appointment now for her. It almost looks like a bug bite but much bigger and like Lewis', the lump is rather hard.

They also have some lymph nodes right around their shoulder blades, too. Definitely, go to the vet, maybe they can do a quick aspirate to test it.

Good luck!

Same thing happened to me with my Zippy last Aug--hard, movable lump the size of a pea, maybe, near her groin, though. Vet aspirated it and saw some weird stuff, so she did surgery. It was a single tumor of cartilage cancer, growing on muscle. It's out and Zippy seems fine. Chemo was not an option for this cancer, but it came out cleanly, anyway.

Soon after Dr. Doug had a lump on his side. Aspiration showed it was only a fatty tumor. Wheaw!

So go to the vet--it'll either relieve your worry, or it could save your dog.

Guest KelseysLackey

You indicated you were going to speak with your vet which was the first thing I would recommend as well. I hope that went well and all is well with your pup.

Kelsey has been in to our vets for various lumps and bumps over the years. One was a Mast Cell Tumor, which was removed, at least two were Lipomas (benign fatty cysts), and at least two were thought to be some form of immune reaction as if to a foreign body. But because of the Mast Cell tumor, we take her in for just about any lump, bump, nodule or otherwise.

Guest HeatherDemps

Dempsey has had various lumps and bumps and our vet has reassured us each time that it's nothing to be concerned about. Can't remember what anything was called because I was just so relieved it was nothing to worry about. I definitely believe it's always better to be safe than sorry, so it's good you're getting it checked out. Do let us know what the vet says.

Guest tamaralynn

I saw your post earlier and I hope you get a good report. The one on Lewis is under his skin. It came up so quick and it worries me that it's hard.

Any news on Lewis? That's how Diablo's lump was. I just posted an update on him, BTW....it was a low-grade fibrosarcoma. The margins were clear, tho and there looks to be a VERY low chance of recurrence. I'm glad we got it removed.

Any news on Lewis? That's how Diablo's lump was. I just posted an update on him, BTW....it was a low-grade fibrosarcoma. The margins were clear, tho and there looks to be a VERY low chance of recurrence. I'm glad we got it removed.

Thanks for checking back on my boy. He had it removed today and my vet seems confident it's nothing to worry about. I should get the results tomorrow sometime and will let everyone know what I find out. I'm excited to hear Diablo's results were good. Isn't it funny how we can pick up on the smallest of things with our dogs? The vet tech said today that she didn't think she would have even noticed something that small on her dogs. Granted, she does have two Newfies but one thing is for sure...I'll never fuss about Lewis walking between my legs for a scratch on the butt anymore!!!

siggie50_1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tamaralynn

Thanks for checking back on my boy. He had it removed today and my vet seems confident it's nothing to worry about. I should get the results tomorrow sometime and will let everyone know what I find out. I'm excited to hear Diablo's results were good. Isn't it funny how we can pick up on the smallest of things with our dogs? The vet tech said today that she didn't think she would have even noticed something that small on her dogs. Granted, she does have two Newfies but one thing is for sure...I'll never fuss about Lewis walking between my legs for a scratch on the butt anymore!!!

Hi! Just thought I'd check and see if there's any more news on Lewis? His situation was so close to Diablo's I thought I'd just check in and give Lewis some well-deserved gentle ear scritches and belly rubs. :wub: Hope all is well! :)

Hopefully it will turn out to be a benign cyst. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg