A Female Hoo-hoo Question

Guest taylorsmom

Guest taylorsmom

Hello everyone--

Okay, second greyhound health problem of the day (boy, we have had an unusual run of several months with absolutely no health problems or vet visits for either greyhound, now it looks like two in one day--I guess our luck has run out!).

I have noticed over the past several weeks that Rita has had these light, sort of rust-colored stains on both her butt cheeks. I didn't really think anything of it, I think I washed them off at one point thinking it was just a little poor post-poop hygiene or something. She hasn't been licking herself unduly, and there has been no evidence for anal gland issues (no odor, leakage or butt-scooting!). Anyway, my DH pointed out today that it looks like it is coming from where the underside of her tail sweeps across her butt cheeks when she wags her tail. So I looked and saw a large brownish-rust colored mark on the underside of her tail, about an inch or so away from where it attaches to her rump. I thought it was a sore of some kind, but when I went to clean it off it turned out that there was no sore or broken skin. It looks like a brownish stain of some sort, and it occurs right where her tail comes in contact with her vaginal opening. And for some reason, the stain does not come off when I scrub at it with doggie wipes and some gentle soap.

So here is a picture--I apologize for the graphic nature of the photo, but I just need some GT wisdom here!! (by the way, my DH is upset with me for posting this picture, he thinks that Rita needs her privacy and does not want her private parts displayed over the internet!! :P (I trust that no one will blackmail her with this photo and ruin her career as a serious couch potato!!)

IMG_0343.jpg

Any ideas? I am thinking vaginal infection, so I guess she will join me with Taylor at the vets tomorrow!!

Edited by taylorsmom

Guest taylorsmom
I think its just stain. My white doggie, Pipi has the same spot & she's fine.

Wow, that's good to know! Is the spot on Pipi in the same location?

Guest GentleHugs

It could be a scent gland - not an anal scent gland but just a regular scent gland. Dogs have several scent glands in various spots on their body. I know they have one on the top of their tail about 1/3 of the way down. You can tell where it's at because the fur is not as thick or dense as it is in other areas on the tail.

You can ask your vet about it to be sure nothing is wrong though just to be sure everything is a-ok.

If she is licking a lot in that area, it could be stains from her mouth. Brandy used to lick her foot and it looked brownish red like that.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Cassie has that issue. She also will have slimie stuff there. My vet checked and didnt think it was an issue. wish I could be more helpfull

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest JohnnyBell

My Sophie had the same exact thing and she was mostly white.I think after she peed she would get a drop or two of urine on that spot and she'd lick it. The licking will cause that stain from the saliva.The stain should lighten if you used a cotton ball with some peroxide on it.