Dempsey Update

Guest HeatherDemps

Guest HeatherDemps

The vet hospital just called a little while ago.

Dempsey is doing as they would expect with a greyhound. He's anxious! :)

I was told that he does seem "painful" so they increased the pain meds in the IV drip this morning. He has been sitting up and trying to get up but if he ends up on that ride side, he flails some. Some of this could be disorientation from the pain meds I was told. I think they are going to have a hard time telling the difference between his pain and his fear/anxiety. Whenever Demps gets his dental, I pick him up pretty much once he's awake and getting around because he tends to freak out. He even screams when he gets his nails trimmed...

This morning's coagulation results aren't back yet, but I don't think they're expecting any problems with that. There isn't excessive bruising yet, so that is good. The bandage is still on but they'll be taking that off today to have a look. Later today, they'll try to get him up and moving around some and I'll get another update tonight.

I don't think I'm going to go visit him there because I think it will get him too worked up. I want to see him, but just knowing Dempsey, that will make it worse. I kind of feel like a bad mom for not being there for him though.... I'm trying not to think about how confused he must be and to focus instead on Dempsey's healing, but it's hard.

You know what's best for your boy... and I'm sure it's hard not to be there. :( Keeping the prayers and light flowing to your precious boy for a smooth and easy recovery. :hope:candle

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Sending big bunches of hugs and prayers.

FWIW, when Joseph was in hospital recently, I visited him a few hours after he went in but did not visit later that night, next day, etc. Just seemed like it would be easier on him, even tho I wanted desperately to see him.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Glad to hear that he's doing well. You're not a bad mom! You know your boy better than anyone else. If seeing you will make him more anxious then it's better to give love and support from afar than to get him all worked up and then still have to leave him there.

I have one like that too. Scott is accident prone and he's terrible for me. He's much calmer and cooperative for the vet and techs if I'm not in sight.

Keeping you and Dempsey in my thoughts and prayers for a smooth recovery. :hope

Sending my prayers. There have been times that we thought it best not to visit too...while it was very hard on us...we knew how much it would upset them when we left...it is very hard. :grouphug Please keep us posted as you can. I am thinking of you and holding you both in my heart. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest LolasMom

Sending tons of prayers and well wishes for a smooth recovery. It is hard to stay away but you do know him best and he can rest assured that his momma's love is always with him. :grouphug

Guest HeatherDemps

Heard from the hospital tonight... Dempsey is doing better than this morning. He is more alert and was sitting up when they called tonight. He is having trouble with the flooring inside because it is slippery but they have helped him outside and he peed on his own. He is a bit wobbly but balancing pretty good. The bruising went up throughout the day so they are keeping an eye on that plus a little bit of oozing. Because of that, it is unlikely he will come home tomorrow. :( I don't want them to release him until he is okay to come home but I had really hoped to have him back here tomorrow night. Hopefully, it won't be any longer than Saturday. He still hadn't eaten anything- probably the longest my poor baby has ever gone without eating. I think that his appetite will come back once he is home and in a familiar environment. The IV pain meds were going to run out tonight so they put him on a patch earlier today and started the oral meds tonight. They did say that they would treat the pain very aggressively, so that is good. Hopefully, we'll get even more good news in the morning!

Still thinking of you and your boy. Hope the bruising starts to recede, the oozing disappears, and a little appetite starts to develop. Big hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest vahoundlover
Still thinking of you and your boy. Hope the bruising starts to recede, the oozing disappears, and a little appetite starts to develop. Big hugs.

What Batmom said!

Guest greytmonty

I am glad he is feeling a bit better, but it must be hard to know he is by himself. I am sure they are giving him lots of TLC.

Would he be comforted by a blanket or shirt from home that smelled like you? If so, you could drop one off but not have him see you, if seeing you would upset him more.

Guest HeatherDemps

He already has a shirt of mine that I had worn. He also has a little blanket from home and a stuffed animal, so there are plenty of things now that smell like home. They should be calling again in a few hours with another update so hopefully, he'll be doing even better.

I am glad he is feeling a bit better, but it must be hard to know he is by himself. I am sure they are giving him lots of TLC.

Would he be comforted by a blanket or shirt from home that smelled like you? If so, you could drop one off but not have him see you, if seeing you would upset him more.

Don't feel bad about not visiting. When we visited Snickers after her amputation, she was very agitated and not that interested in seeing us. I'm not sure if she was just upset about the whole situation or the pain meds were affecting her behavior. It's probably better for both you and Dempsey that they keep him another day -- you don't want to get him home and have to deal with any complications. I'm glad the surgery went well and now you've got recovery to look forward to. Best of luck to Dempsey!

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest HeatherDemps

Just had another update!

Dempsey is getting around pretty well on his own. They took him out and just held the leash, didn't have to help him at all with getting around outside and going to the bathroom. He still hasn't eaten so they are going to try a different food to see if that will interest him. There is still some more bruising so they are running the coagulation test again this morning. They are putting ice on him to try to bring down the bruising and swelling. Dempsey is still anxious some, but not excessively- basically the same as what they saw with him before the surgery.

We can visit him tomorrow morning and they'll decide then based on how he is doing if it's a good time for Dempsey to be released.

Guest snowberry

Glad he's doing better. I'm wondering, when you go visit, if it would be an idea to take some cooked chicken with you? I know of one grey who wouldn't eat food given to her by a stranger, but as soon as Mommy appeared, then she would eat! The vets were worried about the non-eating, but it wasn't the food's fault...

Guest HeatherDemps

Great idea! Thank you. :)

Glad he's doing better. I'm wondering, when you go visit, if it would be an idea to take some cooked chicken with you? I know of one grey who wouldn't eat food given to her by a stranger, but as soon as Mommy appeared, then she would eat! The vets were worried about the non-eating, but it wasn't the food's fault...

Good luck and give him scritches from all of us :) BTW, when he comes home, arnica gel REALLY helps with bruising.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Maybe seeing his Mom will make him eat. I hope so. This is such a stressful time for both of you. Neither knows quite what to expect. But it's probably better that he is at the vets now. The anesthesia and pain meds can cause them to react differently--panting, that anxiety, etc. These things will ease off as his system clears.

Thinking about you and Dempsey, and hoping that all goes well with his recovery.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown