Growth Hormones/steroids Given To Track Dogs?

Guest GreytMuse

Yep! It sounds like he's talkin outta his butt.

My little Isabella has been off the track for several years. Picture says it all. Nuff said!

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest LolasMom
Yep! It sounds like he's talkin outta his butt.

My little Isabella has been off the track for several years. Picture says it all. Nuff said!

Wow! Simply beautiful!! Now that's a girl I want on my team. :)

Guest Forgreys
I have found that many female greys that raced mark worse than most of the boys. I have always thougth it was from the methyltestosterone that they are given. Our girl Daiye will even lift her leg to pee on a tree :rolleyes: Has anyone else come across this?

Yes, one of my former girls did this. She had seven female siblings and one male sibling. One of my girls now does this all the time. She is one of five girls and five boys.

Guest wmlcml6

Most of what I was prepared to type here has already been said, so I will just add that in my experience, the big muscles are from good genes and good conditioning, and the cause of baldness is one of those things nobody seems to know for sure. I used to think it was from the high level of exercise (much like women who lose their period when they train for and run marathons, or something similar), but I have seen pups who hardly raced and spent little time in a crate with baldness.

We do whatever we can to keep the racers 100% healthy and conditioned. If I were an athlete, I might take multi-vitamins, drink fluids with electrolytes, get acupuncture or chiropractic care, take supplements to reduce lactic acid buildup or to keep my kidneys and other functions strong, and exercise regularly to stay in top form. Since the dogs cannot do that for themselves, it is up to us to become educated on how to best keep them sound and healthy so that when they go to the track, they will be in the best shape they can possibly be in so that when they give 100% effort, it's with body that runs like a well tuned engine. If I took steroids, yes I might get bigger muscles, but that's not legal and it also has a gazillion side effects. We wouldn't do that to ourselves, and we certainly wouldn't do it to the dogs in our care.

I hope you see that your vet is pretty clueless and unfortunately people tend to believe their vets wouldn't say something like this unless it were true. :-(

I think a well conditioned Greyhound, active racer or retired or just pet dogs like my two, develops good muscles

due to steady and regular exercise. My hounds never raced but get quite a lot of exercise ...they are well muscled,

above all Soldi the female...Ivy runs less and has lost some muscles.

IvySoldi.jpg

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

I have found that many female greys that raced mark worse than most of the boys. I have always thougth it was from the methyltestosterone that they are given. Our girl Daiye will even lift her leg to pee on a tree :rolleyes: Has anyone else come across this?

Gidge never raced. We got her a week before her second birthday. After watching Freddie, she now lifts her leg and rests it against the tree and then pees.

I guess we need to add this to our myths list. Geez.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE