Bill The Cat

Guest Tigonie

Guest Tigonie

It has taken me a while to post this. I just haven't wanted to talk about it much. Two weeks ago, I took our 13.5 year old cat, Bill, to the vet to be put to sleep. We were able to see our own vet, Dr. Alexander, which I'm glad about. She was very nice and got us some fur to keep and a clay imprint of Bill's paw.

It was very sad, but it was definitely the right time. Dr. Alexander said that she could feel a tumor (which she could not the last time she saw him, in October). It was almost certainly intestinal lymphoma, and the disease was probably pretty aggressive. It was basically non-treatable, since any treatments would only be minimally effective while at the same time making Bill less comfortable.

In October of 1994 we found Bill in the Huntingdon County Humane Society in Huntingdon, Pennsylvania. He had a notch in his ear, and we named him "Bill the Cat" after the comic strip character (Bloom County, Outland). There was a "Purina Pets for People" coupon in the paper for $10 off a shelter adoption. We got Bill for $5 with the coupon. :lol Best $5 I ever spent. :weep

Young Bill on the Quilt

Bill_01.jpg

DH and I were engaged at the time, and I kept Bill at my apartment until our wedding in May of 1995, when we moved in together. Bill was with us through a lot of changes. We moved seven times over his lifetime with us, and he was there through everything, always such a trooper about moving, as long as he had his people. He was such a good and faithful friend. He was always the sweetest cat and could melt on your lap and stay there for hours. Bill would come when we called. He would sleep on the bed by my feet every night. He used to sit behind me on the chair and give me "back rubs," kneading the back of my neck and my shoulders. He loved children and couldn't get enough of Anne. He was the reason her first word was "kitty." I'm glad he lived to see Sam born. I'm just sorry that neither of the kids will remember him (Anne is only 18 months now).

Bill, Scofield, Emma - This was in December of 2004, before Bill started losing weight.

Bill_02.jpg

Bill with Anne and Grandma - Christmas 2006 - Bill really loved kids.

Bill_03.jpg

Bill would have been 14 in May. It's never long enough. :sad1

Guest ArtysPeople

You're right. Best $5 ever spent by anyone. Thanks for sharing your story. That picture of the three tiger-striped critters all together is a really nice one -- nice enough to print off and save, I'd think.

:grouphug

I'm so sorry. :cry1

Bill was a handsome boy.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am so sorry for your loss. Chase those butterflies at the Bridge honey...and kiss Fluffy and SammyJo for me. My sympathy and prayers. :grouphugf_yellow

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

God Speed Bill.

You will be missed.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

What a beautiful boy, I'm so sorry. I recently lost an orange cat named Billy. Even at 17 it wasn't nearly long enough. Sounds like he had a wonderful life. :grouphug