Diabetes

Guest ibeakila

Guest ibeakila

My six year old grey has just been diagnosed with diabetes. I have started the shots morning and night, a week ago. The vet is still adjusting the insulin amount. Is anyone else going thru this, he does not mind the needle but when I push the insulin, he yelps, I do not think this is hurting him, I know it's not but any tips to make it easier for him??

My sister had a tree walking coonhound with diabetes. She didn't seem to have any trouble giving the injections though. You could try scratching a favorite spot at the same time you give the injection as a sort of distraction. Good luck to you.

Guest DorasMom

If it's possible try to inject it a little slower. I take insulin and sometimes, depending on the amount and the temperature of the shot, it does sting going in.

Guest BigPercyInMa
If it's possible try to inject it a little slower. I take insulin and sometimes, depending on the amount and the temperature of the shot, it does sting going in.

Same with my son. Especially with his morning shot, which has the most amount of Insulin of the day.

GT member 'ThunderPaws' has a Greyhound with newly diagnosed Diabetes. Maybe you could compare notes with her, too.

Edited by BigPercyInMa

Guest ibeakila

Thank you, I did not know if I should keep needle out for awhile to make it room temp, the vet said he yelps because he is a little spoiled, it does not really hurt him. She gave him an IV yesterday in the same spot, he did not flinch? I know my boy, Ibe, is spoiled, but he is my boy!

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

I have a Diabetic cat so I am familiar with the shots. I usually hold the filled syringe in my hand for 30 seconds or so until it is not so cold. My vet said if you give it to them right out of the fridge it is like putting ice down someone's back. Makes sense to me. Also make sure you pull the skin tight. You want it to go right through.

Check out :

www.caninediabetes.org

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm diabetic and know that feeling. Push the syringe down very slowly over a period of 5 seconds. Also, during the process of spreading injection sites you will learn which areas are less painful. Now and then you will hit a nerve but that can't be helped. After a while you and your hound will get used to the procedure and think nothing of it. Humans check their blood glucose levels with a gluco meter using a drop of blood. I'm wondering if this can be done with dogs. Of course the sugar levels may be different. Any vets out there?

The vet told me to slowly roll the bottle between my hands before giving Noel her shots as this makes the temp warmer & the needles are very fine. If I don't warm the insulin right there are times Noel will whimper but for the most part she doesn't pay much attention as I was also told to give her a very small treat after the shot & she is the only dog that gets one at that time so she thinks she is special (she is!!). Now she will come find me when it's time for the shots but didn't do so at first. Also I rotate from side to side so the shot isn't always given on the same side. Good luck, your dog will adjust to this routine as you get more comfortable giving the shots.

Guest HeatherDemps

No tips unfortunately on actually giving the insulin but can you distract her with some peanut butter or something else while you do it? Not sure if that would affect the insulin or not- I don't really know much about diabetes...

In theory you could reuse the needle after disinfecting with bleach but the needle is so thin it distorts after use making additional shots more painful. Inexpensive generic needles are available at WalMart. Of course the brand name ones are B & D.

One of my bridge babies, Ellie (a Scottie) was diagnosed very late in her life. I was terrified when I first starting give her injections but soon learned the tricks. Try and use the thinnest needles you can. I would rub the bottle of insulin between my hands before I filled the syringe and then did the same with the syringe after I filled it. I always gave hers right behind the scruff of her neck. Someone above mentioned rubbing the injection site when you're done and that helps....it stops the stinging and provides a little reassurance as well. I never tried to reuse my needles so no advice there.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest ibeakila
How much insulin do you give Ibe?

Also, when you take the needle out, rub the injection site----makes the sting go away.

I am up to 9 right now but that will be increasing next week?

He is up to nine right now but that will be increasing next week, they are drawing blood from him every other day, I do give him a treat right after I do it and during and before it!!!!lololol

In theory you could reuse the needle after disinfecting with bleach but the needle is so thin it distorts after use making additional shots more painful. Inexpensive generic needles are available at WalMart. Of course the brand name ones are B & D.

Thank you for that info, I will check Walmart because I also have a cat that I give shots to and everything is starting to run big bucks

The vet told me to slowly roll the bottle between my hands before giving Noel her shots as this makes the temp warmer & the needles are very fine. If I don't warm the insulin right there are times Noel will whimper but for the most part she doesn't pay much attention as I was also told to give her a very small treat after the shot & she is the only dog that gets one at that time so she thinks she is special (she is!!). Now she will come find me when it's time for the shots but didn't do so at first. Also I rotate from side to side so the shot isn't always given on the same side. Good luck, your dog will adjust to this routine as you get more comfortable giving the shots.

Thank you, I do give a treat before during and after to take his mind off of it, I also do a cat twice a day,

I have a Diabetic cat so I am familiar with the shots. I usually hold the filled syringe in my hand for 30 seconds or so until it is not so cold. My vet said if you give it to them right out of the fridge it is like putting ice down someone's back. Makes sense to me. Also make sure you pull the skin tight. You want it to go right through.

Thank you because I also do my 10 yr old cat every morning and night along with Ibe, now, a lot of work, I try to warm them up with my hands.

No tips unfortunately on actually giving the insulin but can you distract her with some peanut butter or something else while you do it? Not sure if that would affect the insulin or not- I don't really know much about diabetes...

Thank you, I give him meatballs, that I spent three hours making, I give him these treats before, during and after his shot, aren't I pathethic? lolololol