120 Bpm?

Guest Jetterbug

Guest Jetterbug

Does anyone know the average heart rate of a greyhound? I just had Jet (6 Years old) at the vet this afternoon for his check up and he said his heart rate was about 120 bpm and that that was on the high side. Jet recently decided not to like the car, so I'm sure the ride over got him started. He's also not a fan of the thermometer (can't blame him there either) :blink: . We would like to have a dental done soon. The vet recommended a chest x-ray and blood work first...of course we will do both. I'm just wondering how much higher than normal is 120 bpm? Could it have been just a bad case of being scared?

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

I found this:

The resting heart rate of a greyhound is 29-50 beats/minute. Intense work can increase the heart rate to 300-360 beats/minute. The greyhound heart can contract and refill with blood five times per second during a race. Even at rest the greyhound heart can pump more blood per beat per kg than other dogs. Greyhounds have a superior oxygen transport system to humans.

Here:

http://www.athletic-animals.com/

Edited by CindiLuvsGreys

Try taking his HR at home--I would think that he was just worked up/stressed from being at the vets.

I have seen an average of about 40 beats/min while sleeping and about an average of 60bpm awake but resting. It can really vary, but 120 does seem high if that's what you get while at home.

Edited by tbhounds

Our boy McRay's heart rate always goes up at the vet. At one point the vet thought he might have a low grade heart murmour but after taking him back a couple of times for rechecks he's just fine, it was nerves. He just had a dental done in early December and his pre bloodwork was perfect and he didn't have a chest x-ray. He's just fine.

Bloodwork (at least a basic CBC) is pretty standard before anesthetizing a dog so I would go ahead and do that, but I would confirm the high heart rate before doing the chest x-ray.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest WhenIGiveIn

I have never had a very recommend a chest x-ray before surgery. I could check the heart rate at home like suggested and go from there. Is this your long term vet? The only reason I ask is because unfortunatley vets do make money off us so some will suggest unnecessary (although unharmful) things to make a few extra bucks ok occasion. I once had a vet tell me that he would give 50% off to the rescue group sounds great right... well yeah untill i saw his base prices! The 50% off was almost as much as I pay at my regular vet with NO discount!!!!

Guest Jetterbug

Thanks everyone for the advice and info. This was not Jet's regular vet (same clinic though) which is why I was a little suspicious myself. Something just doesn't feel right here. He has to go back for the blood work before his dental anyway, so I'm requesting his regular vet check his heart rate before any x-rays are taken. I've checked his heart rate at home and everything seems normal so hopefully this was just him being scared. If his regular vet thinks a chest x-ray is in order, we'll do it...better safe and out a little money than sorry! I really just don't want to cause Jet any unnecessary stress.

I knew I joined this site for a reason! :wubsite