Do The Hippy-hippy Shake!

Guest charmsmom

Guest charmsmom

I brought her home on Sunday...my 11 y/o girlie! Her back end is starting to shake a little and her former owner said she'd started to do it, but didn't specify length of time. Is it just her age or is it something I should have checked out? She seems fine otherwise. She eats normally, takes good walks, and she doesn't sink when she stands. She's also been a partially-outside dog for years.

Thoughts?

Guest whatahound

Hi Bethany,

Having a vet check her out would be a good idea. I have friends that have senior hounds. Their hind legs do shake abit. I put Gee on Gyco Flex III about a month ago and she already seems a lot better to me. I had noticed that on some of those cold mornings her rear end dropped abit. I have not noticed it since. Yesterday she was running around like crazy so I think she feels pretty good.

Guest KennelMom

Wiht a new dog, esp a senior I'd want my vet to do a full exam and get some blood work done on her. Go from there if they find anything of concern.

Seniors can get a little weak in the hind end as they lose their muscle tone. Esp if they've been living a very sedentary life. I'd also get her on a joint supplement. There are lots out there and I'm sure your vet can recommend one as well. Our seniors get Healthy Joints K-9 from Thomas Vet Supply.