The Shivers

Guest Gideon

My Bear also shivers for no apparent reason and will stop if I talk to him or rub his head. I just thought it was nervousness over something.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

Guest Forgreys

Every Greyhound I have ever had has done this. They do it when they are nervous or uncomfortable. Especially at the vet.

When they are excessively happy or excited, their bottom jaw shivers.

Duke would shake violently at the vet. He's 9 now, I guess that makes him a senior dog. He didn't seem chilly.

We have been under a great deal of stress in the last few weeks - I'm losing sleep, very busy during the day, stuff like that.

I really hope he's not reacting to that. I am always positive with him, take him out daily for runs in the playground, etc. I still can't help but think he may be cautious due to my stress.

He's still real playfull and himself in every other way so I guess its nothing too major.

I don't know what it is....it could be the stress (that's be my guess) but it wouldn't hurt to give that handsome hound another few scritches from me just to see if that makes a difference. Duke, just chill out and enjoy the playground between naps dude. :)

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest RICHandJUDE

I have 3 dogs, including 2 greyhounds. Both greyhounds 'shiver' when they are nervous. I can tell when a storm is 1/2 hour away by just watching for some 'shaking going on'. My one greyhound even shakes when the wind blows hard. I feel bad for them but there isn't very much I can do. The one greyhound doesn't shake as much as when we got her about 2 1/2 years ago.

I've had greys who would quiver when they'd get overly excited about something. It's just like the nervous "shiver", but it was always over things they enjoyed, like running or homing in on the neighborhood cats and squirrels.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest newmama4Cooper

I can't tell you how glad I am to have found this post...

I was nervous about my Grey, Cooper. He's my first and I keep wondering if the shaking is normal. He does it when he's laying down even. It's weird. I know he's not cold, and it seemed so odd to happen when it does.

As long as no one has seen this lead to a problem, I feel better. He is so healthy other wise! I am blessed!

Megan :thumbs-up

• 11 years later...